PDA

View Full Version : Broadband Activation page when trying to access Google

kazzab72
14-07-2010, 19:04
Hi all,

I hope someone can help me! I've had Virgin Media broadband for quite a while now, all has been fine - never needed to install the drivers and software as my broadband just worked plug and play.

Unfortunately I lost my job back in March, and since then I've been struggling to keep up with my bills, which recently lead to a two day restriction of services. I'm back on now, but I'm having an odd problem that whenever I try to use Google, I get redirected to the Broadband Activation page. I've never had this happen before! If I avoid Google I'm fine, every other site I've tried has worked. I have three machines connected - Windows XP, Mac and Ubuntu - the same happens on all of them

My modem is model no E08C013.00 - no idea what make.

I've got the options on both IE and Firefox set to no proxy - again, this has worked perfectly for me in the past.

I have switched off the power to the modem for 30 seconds and rebooted - no change.

Can anyone suggest how I can sort this without going through the hassle of activation? I don't want to install any of the VM software, and don't want my homepage hijacking, which is why I've never bothered with activation in the past.

Thanks in advance

monkey2468
14-07-2010, 19:15
Reboot modem. wait for it to lock on. Reboot router, reboot computers and see what happens.

jb66
14-07-2010, 20:04
This happens alot especially with windows xp, restarting the computer and/or deleting your browsers cookies and temporary internet files usually resolves it. It happens because your Internet browser remembers last time It went to www.google.com it got redirected to the Activation Page.

kazzab72
14-07-2010, 20:38
Thanks guys, switched everything off for about half an hour while having my dinner and rebooted in sequence, and lo and behold it's all back :)