PDA

View Full Version : CM needs rebooting every few hours.

punky
14-07-2010, 11:25
Before I have to suffer VM's Indian TS trying to tell me its Windows firewall or something, can someone point me in the direction of what's happening?

Every few hours the modem needs to rebooted to get my connection back. Its really annoying now as I had to do it 5 times yesterday and already once today.As soon as I do, it works fine. When the connection stops the sync and ready lights are still lit. The ethernet flashes, but that just means its sending data isn't it?

Here is the event log immediate before the reboot.

Time Not Established Time Not Established Critical (3) No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) MAP w/initial maintenance region received
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Beginning initial ranging...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) downstream time sync acquired...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream sync ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Received a UCD message!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) starting ds time sync acquisition...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Received a UCD message!
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Locked on the downstream. Waiting for UCDs...
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Downstream lock ok
Time Not Established Time Not Established Information (7) Sync Start

On the service page it says "You will currently be experiencing problems accessing the V Stuff application. " That wouldn't affect my CM would it?

Many thanks in advance.

Graham M
14-07-2010, 11:31
Hey Punky, post your connection stats, let's see if anything looks awry :)

punky
14-07-2010, 11:37
This is while its working obviously. I'll try and catch it again when its down.

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 52
Downstream Frequency : 306750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 6952 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12Increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : 6.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 35.3 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 1
Upstream Frequency : 45800000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 32.7 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 1

Heat shouldn't be an issue but i've moved it to a slightly more open area.

Graham M
14-07-2010, 11:47
It looks OK to me, but maybe someone with a keener eye for these things could take a look, and yes if you can get the stats when it's down that may prove useful :)

AbyssUnderground
14-07-2010, 12:15
Upstream is too low I think, should be between 40-50dBmV

Ignitionnet
14-07-2010, 17:31
There's an upstream SNR issue punky. It will I would hope be resolved ASAP by VM networks.

punky
14-07-2010, 18:13
There's an upstream SNR issue punky. It will I would hope be resolved ASAP by VM networks.

Cheers Ig. :tu:

By the sounds of your post they would already be aware of it so don't need to call in?

Ignitionnet
14-07-2010, 18:36
I'd reach out to them anyway to get a fault reference.

punky
14-07-2010, 18:42
Cheers mate.

punky
14-07-2010, 23:09
CM went down again just now. Tried to login to get the signal strengths but the login kept timing out? Is that consistent with the signal issue or is the CM freezing and needing to be replaced?

---------- Post added at 23:09 ---------- Previous post was at 22:52 ----------

Edit: Just had it again and it came back without a reboot so looks like the modem wasn't freezing?

Ignitionnet
14-07-2010, 23:45
Sometimes, especially on the 50M, when the modem loses connection you also lose connectivity to the modem. Some ARP related thing I expect where when the modem resets its' cable side connection it resets its' LAN side as well and doesn't recognise you've anything connected to it until connection is back and DHCP transaction can be carried out.

Renew IP lease on your router that should get you back into everything once the modem is back online in the future.

SOSAGES
14-07-2010, 23:49
this happened to me they blamed my router (i tried 2)
and in fairness it did seem to work fine when connected direct to my PC.
it has happened twice once a month back and again today a reboot of the modem kicks it all into life for 10-15 mins and then off again.
i think its a dns issue

Ignitionnet
14-07-2010, 23:56
DNS doesn't disconnect you from everything.

Simple way to check though is, while you think everything is hosed, ping 194.168.4.100.

In Punky's case it looks like a physical cable issue. I mentioned upstream SNR because of this:

Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 5120 Ksym/sec

Punky's modem is on an upstream that is using Advanced Spectrum Management and has fallen back to QPSK (as low as it can go) due to noise problems, SNR not being good enough for the normal 16QAM, so it's a fair bet that the same noise issue that forced the ASM fallback is also causing his issues.

punky
15-07-2010, 00:20
Would that be street cable or interior cabling you reckon?

My cabinet has been open for months.

SOSAGES
15-07-2010, 00:22
i suggested it was a dns issue as i was unable to use most funtions on my pc apart from when using the IP.
msn messenger also popped up and said it was a DNS issue.
i wont worry about it to much going to leave everything off 2nite and see how we go in the morning.