PDA

View Full Version : buying a new modem for virgin media 20mbit

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 01:59
hi,

i have a 20mbit virgin media connection and when i rang the helpline the guy told me that some level on my modem that has to be under 10 is over 600...

so he said they would send some one and probably replace the modem. but i was at the f1 that day and i dont even know if the guy came, and i ring but i always get some indian guy who has no idea what hes saying, it puts me off ever wanting to ring again, probably better for virgin that i dont lol but anyway.

Does any one know where i can buy a new modem? i would rather go out and buy a working one then have to deal with indian tech people on the phone for hours. i tried to google but i cant find anything good on modems for virgin media

TIA

gazfan
14-07-2010, 02:03
you can only use a Virgin Media supplied modem - try phoning from 08:00 when you may get an UK agent answering the call?

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 02:32
you can only use a Virgin Media supplied modem - try phoning from 08:00 when you may get an UK agent answering the call?

Oh that's why I found nothing on google. I did get a uk agent the first time who told me I needed a new modem but after that I rang at least 10 times getting an Indian guy each time who I could not understand and who knew nothing. After try 5 I just hang up when I heard Indian voice and now I am put off ringing 151 again :/

v0id
14-07-2010, 03:44
If you weren't home when you booked a tech, you'll soon know about it by the extra charge of £75(?) on your next bill

RobboEdin
14-07-2010, 10:36
hi,

i have a 20mbit virgin media connection and when i rang the helpline the guy told me that some level on my modem that has to be under 10 is over 600...

so he said they would send some one and probably replace the modem. but i was at the f1 that day and i dont even know if the guy came, and i ring but i always get some indian guy who has no idea what hes saying, it puts me off ever wanting to ring again, probably better for virgin that i dont lol but anyway.

Does any one know where i can buy a new modem? i would rather go out and buy a working one then have to deal with indian tech people on the phone for hours. i tried to google but i cant find anything good on modems for virgin media

TIA

Do you expect any sympathy for your situation!

You suggest that you originally made arrangements for an engineer to call to diagnose and fix your problem but you chose not to be in at the arranged time.

I suggest that you make every effort to make new arrangements and be particularly apologetic about your failure to be in for the first call.

Your selfish behaviour probably meant that someone more deserving missed out on getting their problem solved that day.

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 11:26
If you weren't home when you booked a tech, you'll soon know about it by the extra charge of £75(?) on your next bill

The guy said it would be -a 10 one if I was not there

Peter_
14-07-2010, 11:27
The guy said it would be -a 10 one if I was not there
If you were not in then it would be a £10 charge no more.

Call now to see if you can get an engineer.

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 11:30
Do you expect any sympathy for your situation!

You suggest that you originally made arrangements for an engineer to call to diagnose and fix your problem but you chose not to be in at the arranged time.

I suggest that you make every effort to make new arrangements and be particularly apologetic about your failure to be in for the first call.

Your selfish behaviour probably meant that someone more deserving missed out on getting their problem solved that day.

Not at all I know it's my fault I completely forgot I was going to be out that day, I was not going to miss the silverstone f1 to sit and wait... But I did try ring them back lots of times, it's not my fault they put Indians to answer the phone and make life hard. I did not care about that I was going just buy a modem I thought it was ok. Now I know it's not I am going to pay the fine for wasting the guys time if he did cone however much it is I don't care as it's my fault and just stay with the broken modem until one day o upgrade to the 50mbit and they have to send me a new one :)

Kymmy
14-07-2010, 11:32
It's also not the indian call centres fault that you can't understand them when thousands can..

You're the one putting restrictions on the fix, not them ;)

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 11:45
Maybe kymmy but I'd rather not ring then ring India each time :) I thought this was england not India.. Anw it's my fault I'm paying the fine I'm going to stay with the broken modem I don't care. Thanks for your help and replies, much appreciated

Kymmy
14-07-2010, 13:08
And here's me thinking that we live in an age of telecommuniucations :rolleyes:

I'm flabbergasted here that someone will put up with a faulty product instead of speaking to a normally very polite person in India???

Nicosia
14-07-2010, 13:28

I'm flabbergasted here that someone will put up with a faulty product instead of speaking to a normally very polite person in India???

they are polite but i just dont like speaking to them, i would rather an english person, but thats just me, but im not trying to complain because i have had ntl since 512kbit only speeds where available at 40 pounds per month or however much it was, and i am very happy with ntl/virgin media i rarely have to ring support, that was probably my third maybe fourth time in so many years, i love the speed i love everything about vm. apart from the indian call centre lol i just dont like getting through to indian people no matter how polite they are that does not help me fix my problem. usually i try for ages to try explain my problem only for them to suggest things that i already tried and does not work, the english guy did a test straight away saw my modem was faulty he was good. though they are not all like that, ive never managed to call an indian or african call centre and have my problem fixed. and on top of that i find it hard to understand what they say..

i would rather put up with the problem lol well im going to move to 50mbit hopefully soon enough so i will get a new modem anyway. and i thought i would be able to buy my own modem virgin media approved or whatever but that was my first option but since i cant and i really dread calling 151 again.

its my fault really for not being in when the tech guy came, i really forgot i was going to be at the silverstone and i tried to ring back and explain but with no luck. also im not even 100% sure any one came the first time i got the call from the machine saying press one to confirm i was sleeping the second i pressed one to confirm, maybe i was too late and no one came? well see

am i able to upgrade online? i was trying to find that site that used to exist for online upgrading i remember i did it from 512kbit to 1mbit i used the online site. will it work for the 50mbit?

Peter_
14-07-2010, 14:55
You really need to ring up for a replacement modem and the best way to get 50Mb is to speak to an agent for the best deal.

kwikbreaks
14-07-2010, 14:57
am i able to upgrade online? i was trying to find that site that used to exist for online upgrading i remember i did it from 512kbit to 1mbit i used the online site. will it work for the 50mbit?I think you need to call India.

Peter_
14-07-2010, 15:00
I think you need to call India.
Last time I looked Liverpool was not in India.:D

kwikbreaks
14-07-2010, 15:14
;)

Nicosia
25-07-2010, 12:01
I think you need to call India.

yes your right, its the only way lol

Last time I looked Liverpool was not in India.:D

really? you guys must employ indians only because thats the only people that ever answer the phone ;p

no we live in an age where the companies would rather send their money to india or south africa to save money instead of giving it to the english that need it especially in this time of economy crisis or whatever…

but anyway it turns out the guy did come and my wife let him in but he did not change the modem so the same problem was still there thats why i thought he did not come because the guy on phone said he would likely change the modem and the level that was meant to be under 10 was over 600 and was laughing so turns out he was let in which is good i did not waste the guys time. now i need to ring back and let virgin know it did not work whatever they did..

maybe ill use email instead, whats the email to email support?

Peter_
25-07-2010, 12:09
really? you guys must employ indians only because thats the only people that ever answer the phone ;p
No Liverpool born and bred.

but anyway it turns out the guy did come and my wife let him in but he did not change the modem so the same problem was still there thats why i thought he did not come because the guy on phone said he would likely change the modem and the level that was meant to be under 10 was over 600 and was laughing so turns out he was let in which is good i did not waste the guys time. now i need to ring back and let virgin know it did not work whatever they did..

Right post the model of modem and the downstream and upstream power levels by clicking HERE (http://192.168.100.1/) if required the Factory default username/password is"root"

Nicosia
25-07-2010, 12:47
No Liverpool born and bred.

Right post the model of modem and the downstream and upstream power levels by clicking HERE (http://192.168.100.1/) if required the Factory default username/password is"root"

thanks..

i dont see any u/down levels..?

Cable Modem Information
Cable Modem : DOCSIS 1.0/1.1/2.0 Compliant
MAC Address : 00***********
Serial Number : 001*********
Boot Code Version : 3.1.6d
Software Version : 2.94.1015
Hardware Version : 1.19

thats everything that shows on the page

Kymmy
25-07-2010, 12:50
Try clicking on the various menu's on the left hand side after you login using root/root

:rolleyes:

Nicosia
25-07-2010, 13:28
Cable Modem Status
Item Status Comments
Acquire a Downstream Channel 402750000 Hz Locked
Connectivity State OK Operational
Boot State OK Operational

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 183
Downstream Frequency : 402750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : 0.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 41.0 dB

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 4
Upstream Frequency : 37500000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QAM16
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.0 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Cable Modem Upstream Burst

Req
Init Maint
Per Maint
Short Data
Long Data
(1)

(3)

(4)

(5)

(6)

Modulation Type QPSK QPSK QPSK 16QAM 16QAM
Differential Encoding Off Off Off Off Off
Preamble Length 36 232 232 128 128
Preamble Value Offset 244 6 6 504 504
FEC Error Correction (T) 0 5 5 4 9
FEC Codeword Information Bytes (k) 16 34 34 76 232
Scrambler Seed 338 338 338 338 338
Maximum Burst Size 0 0 0 7 137
Guard Time Size 22 48 48 22 22
Last Codeword Length Fixed Fixed Fixed Short Short
Scrambler on/off On On On On On

Network Access : Allowed
Maximum Downstream Data Rate : 20480000
Maximum Upstream Data Rate : 768000
Maximum Upstream Channel Burst : 3044
Maximum Number of CPEs : 1
Modem Capability : Concatenation Enabled, Fragametation Enabled, PHS Enabled

there they are.. ty for that Kymmy i was wondering where the drop down list was then i see its not even logged in even though i typed the username/pass once. my bad

pip08456
25-07-2010, 13:57
Those levels are within spec although the upstream is a the top end.

Nicosia
25-07-2010, 14:06
hmm i wonder what the guy meant about the level that was 600.. strange maybe i should check those levels at a time i get disconnected every 5 seconds like last night. some times it stays ok for hours then the connection just starts to drop for no reason

Sephiroth
25-07-2010, 14:20
On the upstream page, if you hit Refresh every 5 seconds for 10 times, you might notice changes in the power lebel - like going above 55 dBmv. That would explain problems if it occurs.

Peter_
25-07-2010, 16:23
Your power levels are well within operational specification and the 52 upstream is fine, it is only when it starts getting closer to 59/61 that the may be issues.

What model is the modem it should say on the sticker on the base.