PDA

View Full Version : Connection Issues - Please Help!

xtreamuk
11-07-2010, 13:32
Hi Guys

Before I jump through all the hoops of Virgin's broadband tech support I was looking for your thoughts.

Recently, I've been getting a pretty crap service from Virgin. I'm on 10Mb. Speeds are generally 'ok' however its the latency thats killing me.

VoIP is horrendous as is trying to use RDP. I know its a resedential service however I've been working from home this week (and next) and this is were I have really noticed it.

Issue from what I can see seems to be packet loss:

I cant ping my next hop directly, so I'm assuming im pinging the public interface on my uBR. Results:

Ping statistics for 80.4.64.225:
Packets: Sent = 100, Received = 93, Lost = 7 (7% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 11ms, Maximum = 3035ms, Average = 92ms

Keep in mind, there is nothing significant running on my connection at the time of testing. I D/C'd everything other than the PC I'm on.

It was suggested to gain a 'real' indication of packet loss, i send out ping packets using my MTU. Done this from my linux system last night and the results were pretty shocking. Over 1000 attempts, 36% of thoes failed and the ping spikes are noticable. Often peaking at over 1000ms.

Modem Specs:

Cable Modem Downstream

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Channel Id : 3
Downstream Frequency : 403000000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM256
Downstream Symbol Rate : 5360.537 Ksym/sec
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps32Increment4
Downstream Receive Power Level : -10.8 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 38.4 dB

Cable Modem Upstream

Upstream Lock : Locked
Upstream Channel ID : 2
Upstream Frequency : 29200000 Hz
Upstream Modulation : QPSK
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream transmit Power Level : 52.5 dBmV
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

Using an NTL:250

Cheers Guys

jb66
11-07-2010, 13:35
Downstream is too low

xtreamuk
11-07-2010, 14:36
Hey All

I've set up a tracker to monitor my connection. I appreciate its probably not 100% accurate but here goes:

My Broadband Ping (http://www.thinkbroadband.com/ping/share/dee31c74fbe8f341fb3e8d51aecbe419.html)

Cheers,
Dave

xtreamuk
11-07-2010, 19:03
Hi Guys

I've moved the modem to where the feed comes into the house essentially. The link is still through a splitter however moving the modem increased the power level to -0.4dBmV with an SNR of 43dB. Not good....the signal is attenuting by about 10dB between the entry point to the modem. Thinking the coax run need to be replaced.

Never improved however. Still getting 0.9Mb down and 0.7Mb up.

I've got to wait 24-hours (as advised by India) after they changed "some stuff" on their end and deleted my browsing history.....:confused:

We shall see.

Dave