PDA

View Full Version : A few Pre install questions if I may?!

Mr_G
10-07-2010, 23:44
First post so hello to everyone :) After having a search around the last few days I've seen plenty of informative posts so I'm confident you'll be able to answer my n00bie questions! :dunce:

As I'm sure a lot of folk are, I'm a tad apprehensive about how exactly the engineer will install the cable and associated equipment (Phone, BB + TV). As I understand it the coax cable is routed from the little CATV triangular cover in front of my house on the pavement but I'm not too sure what happens next? Will a small box be mounted on an external wall and have a splitter device of isolator in it or will the cable route inside and connect to the modem and the modem splits the cables - one to the V+ box and one to the router?

I only ask because I fitted CAT5e around the house a while ago and have a patch panel + switch in the loft ands ideally the modem and router would live up there as the current ADSL one does. I also have Sky+ and have routed 2 x Sky coax cables, 2 x CAT5e and 1 x DVB-T coax via a piece of external conduit down from the roof soffet and through the wall to a I/O panel behind the TV.

Ideally I could replace the existing SKY coax cables and terminate them on the panel behind the TV but I'm not sure if the engineer would be willing to do that? Even if not I could do that. I guess, like I've seen mentioned in other threads, I could just pre route the cable for him and pull it through so he just has to terminate and connect it.

Do you think I might be able to get a chap round who could tell me how they'd install it and also for me to ask what they are / aren't willing to do?

Just read that back and realsied it's as clear as mud!!! :o:

jungleguy
11-07-2010, 08:43
welcome

use this form and book a home visit, someone should come out and see you.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/ctv/your-details.do