PDA

View Full Version : Cable modem or V+ box for wireless router link?

loopyfilms
06-07-2010, 16:08
Hello
I've been having problems with my wireless router the last few days, which appears to be down to interference. I was thinking of connecting my router to the ethernet socket on the V+ box in the lounge instead of the cable modem located upstairs.
Do you think it will make any difference to the signal quality for TV or broadband, using the STB for internet as well as TV? Or should I stick with the separate modem?
Thanks for any advice. :)

BenMcr
06-07-2010, 16:39
You will need to stick with the modem. Virgin do not supply internet services via the TV STB

Matt-08
06-07-2010, 16:50
You don't have a choice, you can't use the TV box for any internet services - and even if you could you would get well under 5Mb at most.

If you're having wireless router problems, and you believe this is down to interference, you need to change the channel on your router.

Alternatively, what you could do is buy an F splitter and have the modem and router next to the TV using the same wall point, which will not have any drastic affects on signal levels and you will still be using the required modem.

Kymmy
06-07-2010, 17:15
Do you think it will make any difference to the signal quality for TV or broadband, using the STB for internet as well as TV? Or should I stick with the separate modem?

There will be difference in your broadband throughput, going from 10/20/50Mb (depending on the package) for your cable modem to an amazing throughput of ZERO for the STB ethernet. ;)

loopyfilms
06-07-2010, 18:18
Ta for the advice :)
F splitter it is then.

Graham M
06-07-2010, 22:22
If it's only happened in the last few days something might have changed, tried changing the Wireless Channel in use on the router yet?

loopyfilms
07-07-2010, 16:32
cheers Graham.
Yes - tried different channel but got same problem. last night connection was fine, this morning [and yesterday morning], can see router but can't get connection at all. somebody nearby got a new wireless device is my guess.....
Might have to try one of those powerline kits.
Any idea if the cable modem NTL gave me would be 100mbps or 1Gbps?
I'm on the basic up to 10Mbps package. might make a difference which powerline kit I get.

BenMcr
07-07-2010, 16:39
You only get a modem with a 1Gbit ethernet socket if you are on the 50Mbit service

Most of them have a 100Mbit socket (although some of the really really early ones have a 10Mbit socket I think)

Wad_2002
07-07-2010, 16:43
Try updating the firmware on the rtouer. I very much doubt a new wireless device in range will affect you connection attempt...there will be something else causing the problem. Yor router is still putting out the same SSID broadcast to your connecting hardware.

The cable modem will probs be good for 20mb, but you will only get what your pay for i.e. 10mb niternet services. So more likley it will be around 4-6mb rate your are getting.

Having the homeplug won't be a difference what so ever to the speed/rate that your cable MODEM is getting. Homeplugs are for home network i.e. an alternative to a wireless ROUTER.

Some routers are just gash either the build quality or hardware intermenant faults. Trying updating your firmware you will probs find the problem will go away. Is your router the white NETGEAR one supplied from VM?

good luck

loopyfilms
07-07-2010, 16:50
Thanks for the answers guys.
Wireless router is Apple airport express - the old one that only does 802.b/g not n.
Worked well for 5 years, maybe it's got an intermittent fault.
Seems odd that there's a pattern to the times when it plays up though. Made me think it might be interference.
Belkin homeplug I was looking at gets mixed reviews - it's rated at 1Gbps and one user reckoned that some problems are down to using it with lower rated routers.

My modem is the NTL home 100 I think - got it 5 years ago. so I guess it would be too slow for the Belkin homeplug.

Ben B
07-07-2010, 16:55
ntl home 100? Surprised you haven't had that replaced yet! Only good for 10mb that but even then it can be a bit iffy

loopyfilms
07-07-2010, 17:00
cheers for the tip Ben - i'll have to phone up Virgin and whinge ;)