PDA

View Full Version : Mobile broadband

linwelin
05-07-2010, 22:57
Hey guys i need some advice, just bought a caravan and i would like to have mobile internet down there so i can check my email and that, watch some stuff on youtube, and so the kids can use it.

Does anyone have any experience with virgins mobile broadband ? is it any good ? is it fast enough ?

I had o2 mobile broadband but it was worse than 56k dial up! so i don't want to jump into getting it from virgin if its going to be the same slow browsing speeds, can anyone give me some solid advice please, and if there is something better im all ears :D

kwikbreaks
06-07-2010, 08:47
Location location location that's the key.

In a built up area to get reliable 3G broadband you really need to be within 500m of a 2100MHz UMTS cell. On a caravan site the less cluttered surroundings will probably allow longer range.

Check with http://www.sitefinder.ofcom.org.uk/ for the nearest 3G mast (the site interface is pretty twanky and you'll need to do a bit of zooming in and out to first find the cell and then get the details).

Most contract 3G BB deals only offer a week or at best two to return and cancel if it doesn't work for you so you'll need to get one just before you set off for the weekend and send it back immediately on return if it's no good.

Matt-08
06-07-2010, 16:53
I believe you get 28 days to cancel with Virgin Mobile Broadband.

YouTube is pretty limited as it normally comes with a 1GB/3GB cap and data is very expensive once this is used up, so be careful OP.

linwelin
06-07-2010, 18:29
thanks guys, i will take a look at that link

k i just checked that link and put in the location of my caravan site (millisle, northern ireland) and there is no UMTS cell in the area, only GMS i take it that is of no use to me ?

kwikbreaks
06-07-2010, 18:54
You'll maybe get edge off a gsm cell or gprs which is even worse or perhaps nowt. Looks like it's snakes and ladders then :(

linwelin
06-07-2010, 19:03
very dissapointing :( can you get sky in a caravan :P lool i was looking at satelite internet but its very exspesive, looks like its goin to be snakes and ladders as you say.

kwikbreaks
06-07-2010, 19:59
You can get portable style dishes for Sky or FreeSat. Maplins do some but Maplins can be robbers unless the stuff is on a special offer. They can still be robbers if it is. Ordinary TV usually works OK too (I used to have a campervan).

Alternately an evening on the vino is never an evening wasted...

AbyssUnderground
07-07-2010, 12:28
GSM can be fast enough, it depends what you want it to do. Videos is a no-go, but anything else like MSN, browsing and e-mail is fine. Gaming is no-go too if it requires a low latency. The ping on GSM is around 1000ms-1200ms (1.0-1.2 seconds).

linwelin
07-07-2010, 15:30
im gonna try the virgin media one and see how it goes, ill send it back if it doesn't work.

dcclanuk
07-07-2010, 18:59
Do NOT go for Orange... it is absolutely rubbish! I have had the chance to use more than one of the "Business Broadband" USB sticks, and if the Business one is so bad, I would hate to think what the normal user one will be like!

I hope the Virgin one will work good for you :)

linwelin
07-07-2010, 21:25
if the virgin one doesn't work im not gonna bother with any other, just hope it works ok i wouldn't touch orange anyhow.

Matthew
07-07-2010, 23:29
Vodafone and Three have been found to give us the best coverage, O2 was ok but slow, good coverage and I have an Orange phone and use the 3G modem on that and its ok but personally Vodafone and Three seem to be the top 2 by far.

kwikbreaks
08-07-2010, 08:07
personally Vodafone and Three seem to be the top 2 by far.
The key word there is personally because the best for someone is most likely going to be the nearest and that depends on exactly where you are. For me it is Vodafone and 3 have the widest 3G coverage.

Vodafone uses the T-Mobile network which is merging with Orange - whether that will result in better coverage or just the shutdown of duplicated cells I don't know.

Peter_
08-07-2010, 17:18
As this is in the Virginmedia Broadband thread and no one has yet bothered to post the Virgin Mobile Broadband link with its own coverage tool I thought that I might as well post the link for you to check out.;)

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/broadband/mobile.html

Remember do not ring up Virginmedia for help with this service as it is a separate company and has its own support phone line.;)

pip08456
08-07-2010, 18:48
That's all well and good Masque and although it will tell you the coverage, it makes no mention of speed which I think the OP is after.

That said I think we'll probibly be talking in the region of 3Mb/s

Peter_
08-07-2010, 18:54
That's all well and good Masque and although it will tell you the coverage, it makes no mention of speed which I think the OP is after.
Most mobile services do not provide data such as speed due to the nature of the product, they speak about 1Gb downloads per month and such like.

Speed will vary even machine to machine but the product is usable and fits need in the broadband community.

I personally just use my phone to browse when away from home as it does all that I require.

If you have one of the Android type phones such the HTC HD2 you have a very good inbuilt mobile broadband antenna which gives fantastic coverage.

pip08456
08-07-2010, 18:57
I agree with you Masque, I just don't think the OP realises the limitations of Mobile broadband otherwise he would not even consider trying to acess youtube.

Peter_
08-07-2010, 18:59
I agree with you Masque, I just don't think the OP realises the limitations of Mobile broadband otherwise he would not even consider trying to acess youtube.
You can if you are very close to the transmitter and I mean close.:D

pip08456
08-07-2010, 19:39
You can if you are very close to the transmitter and I mean close.:D

I would not sit on top of a mast for ANYBODY!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D

I'd end up with a fried bum!

tucker61
08-07-2010, 20:38
I travel round the country quite a bit and had a virgin dongle for last 12 months.
Signal so poor, everywhere I went.
Recently signed up with 3 for mifi device, which allows 5 wireless devices to connect at same time. 100 times better than the dongle I got from virgin.
Not much difference in price.

pip08456
08-07-2010, 22:32
I'm still not going to "Fry my BUM" even for them:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

jrhnewark
09-07-2010, 00:14
I'd suggest Three, T-Mobile or Vodafone for data. O2 have capacity issues and Orange are expensive.

Three and T-Mobile offer MiFi products that would be ideal for a caravan. :)

kwikbreaks
09-07-2010, 08:14
That said I think we'll probibly be talking in the region of 3Mb/sYou clearly either live in a city or have no experience of mobile BB either on the fringes or outside a 3G area. The absolute best you can manage is with Edge 384k but will usually be half of that or less. GPRS is around dialup speeds and if my own experience anything to go by subject to frequent disconnects.

Even 3G is usually not much better than 2Mbps unless you are very lucky and frequently it's worse.

linwelin
09-07-2010, 14:40
I spoke with the guy in charge of the site, he told me if enough people r interested he will put a mast up :D so problem will be solved.