PDA

View Full Version : changing computer - any thing I need to configure?

The Yank
05-07-2010, 10:19
Hi,

I changing my computer this weekend. Are there any configuration issues I need to think of so I can get VM Broadband?

I seem to recall last time I changed my computer I just plugged it in and it picked up the settings automatically - is that the case?

Graham M
05-07-2010, 10:24
Assuming you are connected via Ethernet either via router or directly to the modem it will just be a case of plugging the new device in, the only proviso is that if you are connected directly to the modem, you will probably need to power cycle the modem in between the switchover. The only other thing you need to set up, if you use it is your email account in an email client.

Kymmy
05-07-2010, 10:25
If you connect via ethernet then all you need to do is the plug in the cable and if connected directly to the modem the only other action is a reboot of the modem itself (no need if you go through a router.)

If any problems after that just make sure that the NIC is set to aquire an IP/DNS automatically

The Yank
05-07-2010, 10:48
thanks guys pretty much what I thought but wanted confirmation .

the-cable-guy
05-07-2010, 10:59
Hi,

I changing my computer this weekend. Are there any configuration issues I need to think of so I can get VM Broadband?

I seem to recall last time I changed my computer I just plugged it in and it picked up the settings automatically - is that the case?

iv changed computers four times since first getting NTL & never had any problems, as has been said if your using ethernet then its just plug & play. some motherboards do require you to install the drivers before the port will work tho so bare that in mind if it dosent work, other then that theres nothing else that you will need to do.

Theodoric
09-07-2010, 20:12
I shall soon have the same requirement, that is switching to a new PC, so this has saved me starting a new thread. However, a couple of small questions.

1) I have a cable modem directly connected to an Ethernet card and I notice that Graham M says, "You will probably need to power cycle the modem in between the switchover." Is this this a posh way of saying pull the power supply plug out of the back of the modem and push it back in when (or should that be before?) your modem is connected to your new PC? :)

2) The PC will be given to one of my relatives and will probably not be connected to the Internet. Is there anything that can to be done to prevent irritating icons warning of lack of this or that service appearing in the SysTray?

pip08456
09-07-2010, 21:04
1) Yes. Pull the power and reconnect when connected to new PC then switch on PC

2) In control panel/ network connections right click local area connection and select disable.

Theodoric
10-07-2010, 20:46
Many thanks for the info.