PDA

View Full Version : What is wrong with my Internet... help please!

hicks12
04-07-2010, 23:10
Right basically, it happens every so often (like every other day) that my internet will drop from 8 or 9Mb/s to stupidly slow speeds of 0.5-1.5Mb/s. Rebooting my modem sorts it for another few days, however sometimes it just doesnt fix it.

Current services with virgin media are: L BB/ XL TV/ M phone

I rang up today to ask about upgrading to XXL broadband because this throttling malarkey is just so annoying (i get throttled without even downloading a lot of the time!) and was offered a pretty basic offer, at first it was a £25 extra P/M but after the support person hung up on me i rang back and got a different person (much more helpful), was offered XXL bb/xl tv/ xl phone for £66 p/m, exact same price as a new customer gets it but without 2 months free AND i was told id have to pay £50 to have an engineer out and to be given a new modem for 50Mb/s.

I would upgrade at that price but the installation fee is retarded... now back onto my problem!. After getting off the phone, my internet buggers up to 0.5 Mb/s so i reboot modem and router.... goes up to 0.7, reboot it again (left for 40 seconds), no change and so left it an hour then rebooted again.... once again no blimming change!. Is it just a coincidence that my speed has gone dire or is it VM trying to convince me to upgrade to XXL? I get throttled for downloading during the night so its hardly convincing me to switch.

I know theres VM staff on here but you lot actually make an effort so dont take affence by this :P. My modem powerlevels seem fine:
Download
Downstream Value
Frequency 339000000 Hz Locked
Signal to Noise Ratio 40 dB
Power Level 1 dB

Upload
Upstream Value
Channel ID 1
Frequency 25800000 Hz Ranged

Power Level 47 dBmV

Looking at the logs doesnt help me either, cause for some reason the time/date stamps are wrong (1970, 2010, different months random times), non in order. Any suggestions?

PS: Im not being throttled right now as my upload is 0.4Mb/s. Im expecting its oversubscribed in my area as it has done this on NUMEROUS occasions but never at these times... only at peak like 5pm-8pm! So annoyed as i want to download Left 4 dead 2 and stuff that i just bought off steam.

PPS: Sorry for bad spelling and that today, just not in the mood as ive had a long day!.

jb66
05-07-2010, 00:17
How about trying xl bb it has greater download limits and can be activated without no installation fee, but won't help you if your area is oversubscribed

pip08456
05-07-2010, 01:03
It could help if 20Mb in his area has been switched to the overlay network and the congestion is on the legacy.

hicks12
05-07-2010, 02:59
Thing is that XL is like £13 more so i might aswel just pay the extra few quid for over double the performance, with going to 50Mb i dont take the gamble of it being just as bad since its a different system. Will be ringing up virgin again tomorrow to complain cause this is just unacceptable speeds!.

pip08456
05-07-2010, 14:54
Select the "Thinking of leaving us" option, you may actually get it sorted or a decent upgrade deal.

mhagger
09-07-2010, 23:58
This seems strangely familiar, I have exactly the same package level as described here, and my connection keeps dropping sub 1Mbit speeds too (used to be very very consistent at 8Mbits). Seem to be seeing a lot of packet loss too, have VM done some major changes locally (I'm in the Cambs area), and left us "low level" customers being served by some damp string?