PDA

View Full Version : Hotfile problems

zer0
27-06-2010, 20:31
every other page i load on hotfile i get a 503 Service unavailable error, the page works fine for other people , i dont use hotfile but the amount of legit websites i cant use with virgins dns servers is starting to get annoying.

i shouldnt have to use third party dns servers to use web services

Welshchris
27-06-2010, 21:07
Yes the problem is back and its also been posted on VM forums.

Web-Junkie
04-08-2010, 21:17
Has this not been sorted?

I'm getting a 503 error on Hotfile regularly now for the last week or so, thought it was my PC but it's doing it on my Mac setup too!

dgcarter
04-08-2010, 21:56
every other page i load on hotfile i get a 503 Service unavailable error, the page works fine for other people , i dont use hotfile but the amount of legit websites i cant use with virgins dns servers is starting to get annoying.

i shouldnt have to use third party dns servers to use web services

I DO use a third party DNS and I have the same problem.

pip08456
04-08-2010, 22:04
Nothing to do with VM

HTTP Error 503 - Service unavailable

Introduction

The Web server (running the Web site) is currently unable to handle the HTTP request due to a temporary overloading or maintenance of the server. The implication is that this is a temporary condition which will be alleviated after some delay. Some servers in this state may also simply refuse the socket connection, in which case a different error may be generated because the socket creation timed out.

503 errors in the HTTP cycle

Any client (e.g. your Web browser or our CheckUpDown robot) goes through the following cycle when it communicates with the Web server:

* Obtain an IP address from the IP name of the site (the site URL without the leading 'http://'). This lookup (conversion of IP name to IP address) is provided by domain name servers (DNSs).
* Open an IP socket connection to that IP address.
* Write an HTTP data stream through that socket.
* Receive an HTTP data stream back from the Web server in response. This data stream contains status codes whose values are determined by the HTTP protocol. Parse this data stream for status codes and other useful information.

This error occurs in the final step above when the client receives an HTTP status code that it recognises as '503'.

Fixing 503 errors

The Web server is effectively 'closed for repair'. It is still functioning minimally because it can at least respond with a 503 status code, but full service is impossible i.e. the Web site is simply unavailable. There are a myriad possible reasons for this, but generally it is because of some human intervention by the operators of the Web server machine. You can usually expect that someone is working on the problem, and normal service will resume as soon as possible.

Please contact the system operators of the Web site to determine why the service is down. They will be in a much better position to help you than we are for this type of error.

Lee
05-08-2010, 08:15
Except, I don't get a 503 error when I use my BT connection?

This is documented on various sites as something to do with a transparent prxy VM forces connections to hotfile.com to go down.

Hence to hotfile, it looks like everyones connection is coming from the same IP.

The proxy is something to do with IWF filtering, and the issue occurs across multiple ISPs.

However at least the other ISPs have acknowledged the issue and are investigating, whereas VM seem to be buring their head in the sand. :mad:

Kiwi Jaz
05-08-2010, 11:24
Really annoying. I have just joined VM and wouldnt have if I knew my premium account at Hotfile was going to be blocked like this.
I also am able to access it from other ISP's fine.
Very disappointed in this service and VM dont seem to post any information on it.

pip08456
05-08-2010, 15:00
Except, I don't get a 503 error when I use my BT connection?

This is documented on various sites as something to do with a transparent prxy VM forces connections to hotfile.com to go down.

Hence to hotfile, it looks like everyones connection is coming from the same IP.

The proxy is something to do with IWF filtering, and the issue occurs across multiple ISPs.

However at least the other ISPs have acknowledged the issue and are investigating, whereas VM seem to be buring their head in the sand. :mad:

That would explain why the Hotfile server is returning the error.

kowalmc
17-08-2010, 15:40
How come that I paid for Hotfile account and I cant use it at all.. I use Jdownloader and it shows that my account is OK and showing expiry date but when I paste the links it downlods one link at once and with speed like I have limited account... Is there any restrictions with BT Broadband as I heard rumour...? Thanks in advance for advice

Web-Junkie
22-08-2010, 17:36
Seems the 503 error is fixed but the download speed is so slow it's useless!! Getting <100KB/s on a 1.2MB/s connection!!

Simcut
31-08-2010, 22:07
Yep, I'm getting 45kb/sec on a 50mbit line...not cool when I paid for a premium account with Hotfile, ffs :(

have emailed them 5 or 6 times but they havent bothered to reply :(