PDA

View Full Version : Virgin 20Mb cable speeds

nissannote
26-06-2010, 10:42
Hi,
I have been a VM cable broadband user since 2002 and about 2 years ago upgraded to 20Mb. Recently I ran a number of speed tests using different providers. I was horrified to find I was getting between 1 and 2 Mbps download most of the time.
Following the advice I read on this forum I rang VM to ask if my NTL Home 100 modem was the problem. They said it was and they would send me a new one.
The next day (obviously before I received the new modem) I find that my download speeds have gone overnight to 14 - 15Mbps, apparently by magic.
Had they just forgotten to switch on the 20Mbps?

Confused,
Tony

Kymmy
26-06-2010, 10:46
Not forgotten, but not given you the right equipment..

I'd personally have a moan at customer services though after 2 years they might be able to moan back, but you never know you might get a decent loyalty deal with them ;)

Peter_
26-06-2010, 11:31
You need a replacement modem just check this out below.

http://www.chetnet.co.uk/articles/admin/images/100+_1.jpg

ntl:home Series รข€“ 100, 120, 200
The ntl:home series was manufactured to ntl:'s specification by a leading Far Eastern electronics manufacturer, Ambit. All models are both Ethernet and USB.
The 100 model is Docsis only, so comments as above on Eurodocsis. Introduced in April 2002.
The 120 model is a special "Dual Mode" Docsis and Eurodocsis development for ntl: it is believed to be the first such development of a Cable Modem. The 2 in 120 meant "Dual Mode"

The 200 continued the "Dual Mode" capability and utilised a Docsis 2.0 Broadcomm chip although Docsis 2.0 has not been deployed on ntl:'s network.

All do support 10Mbps Tier of Service, provided that they are used with an "003" or greater version of firmware.

RobboEdin
26-06-2010, 11:49
Not forgotten, but not given you the right equipment..

I'd personally have a moan at customer services though after 2 years they might be able to moan back, but you never know you might get a decent loyalty deal with them ;)

...then again, the OP was unaware of poor performance for some considerable time and should re-think his requirement for 20Mb.

Some people get seduced by high download speeds but don't actually understand that for most internet use 2Mb is fine. You will see little improvement in browsing performance above 2Mb, for example.

Kymmy
26-06-2010, 12:04
... You will see little improvement in browsing performance above 2Mb, for example.

If only the onus was purely on a single person browsing these days, between consoles, usenet, p2p, youtube and other bandwidth greedy applications the improvement is more noticable. But we don't know what the OP does with his system. Still though you'd think that VM would have a record of which modem is which or just a simple modem query done on every upgrade..

v0id
26-06-2010, 13:22
..there's also the hgher subscriber traffic management levels on the XL tier to consider ;)

nissannote
26-06-2010, 16:20
Thanks to all for your responses.
What I still don't understand is how my broadband speed has suddenly improved enormously since I called VM customer service, even though I still haven't received the new modem.
Any thoughts?
Tony

jb66
26-06-2010, 16:59
What I still don't understand is how my broadband speed has suddenly improved enormously since I called VM customer service, even though I still haven't received the new modem.
Any thoughts?
Tony

Its all a big conspiracy........ They secretly put folk on slow speeds until they call up

badhairday
28-06-2010, 01:11
Any thoughts?
Tony

When the VM opo checked your modem they must have tried to reset the firmware and in doing so dislodged the BT gremlin that was sabotaging your speed.Makes perfect sense !!!

nissannote
28-06-2010, 19:09
Now that does make sense - cheers.

Tony

Peter_
28-06-2010, 19:14
When the VM opo checked your modem they must have tried to reset the firmware and in doing so dislodged the BT gremlin that was sabotaging your speed.Makes perfect sense !!!

---------- Post added at 18:14 ---------- Previous post was at 18:13 ----------

Now that does make sense - cheers.

Tony
I do hope that you do not mean the post above as it does not make sense as we do not change your firmware but you do need a modem as I stated above.

badhairday
28-06-2010, 20:32
I was with BT for 15 years until there heavy handed customer service department made me reconsider my contract.
VM has never given me any trouble from day one .I do believe that BT are bitter even to this day that they don't have the monopoly they used to have.
That any ground they have to give is given grudgingly and very very slowly, and if they could they would leave a few spanners in the works if they could.

LOL now I sound bitter !!

pip08456
29-06-2010, 15:39
I was with BT for 15 years until there heavy handed customer service department made me reconsider my contract.
VM has never given me any trouble from day one .I do believe that BT are bitter even to this day that they don't have the monopoly they used to have.
That any ground they have to give is given grudgingly and very very slowly, and if they could they would leave a few spanners in the works if they could.

LOL now I sound bitter !!

BT was shackled by the government on privatisation. Only now are they offering "up to" 20Mb speeds due to this.

badhairday
29-06-2010, 19:04
I do not feel sorry for BT they ripped people off whenever they could,only when competition came along did they realise what they had to lose.
Attitude is everything in life and there's suck big time.

Anyhoo I am sure nissannote had not planned for this thread to be a moan about BT, I am sure there are hundreds of threads about that already lol

nissannote
29-06-2010, 19:17

I do hope that you do not mean the post above as it does not make sense as we do not change your firmware but you do need a modem as I stated above.

I note your comment and I am sure you are right. However it does not explain why my speed has suddenly increased from 1 - 2 Mbps to 13 - 15 Mbps since I called Customer Service. I still await the replacement modem.
Tony

slowcoach
29-06-2010, 20:08
The reason your speed increased was that the CS agent you spoke to noticed that your speed had never been upgraded originally and consequently put matters right.

You should also regularly check the latest prices for your tier because VM will happily let you carry on paying the original higher price when the tier price has been reduced.

Some people regularly call in every six months or so to check if they are getting the best deal.

nissannote
30-06-2010, 19:07
The reason your speed increased was that the CS agent you spoke to noticed that your speed had never been upgraded originally and consequently put matters right.

You should also regularly check the latest prices for your tier because VM will happily let you carry on paying the original higher price when the tier price has been reduced.

Some people regularly call in every six months or so to check if they are getting the best deal.

Thanks - that's what I thought.

nissannote
06-07-2010, 16:42

OK, It's 2 weeks since I was promised a new modem within 3 - 4 working days. Any ideas apart from calling again please?
Tony

kwikbreaks
06-07-2010, 17:21
Any ideas apart from calling again please?
Tony

Well you could try...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/07/52.jpg

...but on the whole I think phoning may be more effective

nissannote
09-07-2010, 21:11
Well you could try...

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/07/52.jpg

...but on the whole I think phoning may be more effective

It was, although the first idea may have helped. I now have a nice new 256v2 modem and according to most speed checkers I now get 19+ download speeds!
Thanks guys for all the help.

Tony

kwikbreaks
10-07-2010, 14:51
Glad you're sorted.