PDA

View Full Version : Intall next week - Worried!

simps100
24-06-2010, 11:44
Hi all,

Live in the SL2 area of slough, after years of living with 700k unreliable internet i was delighted to get a letter from virgin informing us we are now connected. We ordered 20mb internet straight away, order all went through no problems and its due to be installed a week tomorrow.

But now im worried, after looking around online many people in the slough area seem to have been offered it and had all sorts of issues actually getting it, im hoping im worrying for nothing, virgin reassured me with there online chat im in a virgin area but cant help it i guess after booking a day of work and what not for this!

Anyone in slough with any positive experiences?

Cheers

Marc

Kymmy
24-06-2010, 11:51
For every moaner on the internet there's probably 500+ happy people but because they're happy they don't tend to post. So don't let the moaners get you down.

Oh and welcome to the forum

scaseman
24-06-2010, 12:20
For every moaner on the internet there's probably 500+ happy people but because they're happy they don't tend to post. So don't let the moaners get you down.
I would support that statement. It makes me wonder how many people are put off having a installation due to negative comments. I must admit I was slightly worried before my installation after reading some of the comments on this forum. But my install went extremely smoothly.

oliver1948uk
24-06-2010, 12:40
Because he keeps moving house, my lad has had three VM installations over the previous two years and every one has gone really well (though once they cancelled his email account without warning and all his emails were lost).

Although I have had had NTL/VM for many years, I have had various changes and updates in recent times and again everybody has turned up as promised and done a good job. I have yet to come across a technician who is not punctual, efficient and friendly. Perhaps it depends how the customer treats them.

I feel sorry for those who have problems but I suspect most people are very satisfield.

simps100
24-06-2010, 12:43
Its more i guess because its only recently our area has become a fibre area, and it was slightly surprised with no digging up in the area etc i can recall i was shocked we can suddenly get it.

Looking forward to much faster net!

Dinalt
24-06-2010, 19:04
Let me know how you get on Simps100 -I'm in the SL2 area too and waiting for a date for installation etc.

Regards,

DinAlt

weesteev
24-06-2010, 20:32
There wasnt a lot of digging required for the "last mile" part of the upgrades. Cabinets would have had new equipment installed and depending on the architecture, new equipment in the chambers as well. The only digging would have been when replacing or pulling new Fibre from the MUX cabinets (big double/triple doored green cabinets) to the Hub site.

The local infrastructure feeding your house would still be 860/540 coax and 10/50 pair copper cable which is what is utilised on our digital network areas anyway, the difference with the old analogue network was the hubsite gear/cabinet equipment rather than the cable in the street.

simps100
01-07-2010, 18:45
Guys came today fed a cable from a green box behind house through back garden, installer coming in tomorrow to finish off. Only slight worry is the end of the cable the guys have run is quite a distance from where i would like the modem to be, is this a problem? Also how does the telephone work, we would like the telephone line in a different place to the modem will this be ok?

Cheers

weesteev
01-07-2010, 18:48
That green box will be the DP cabinet where both your phone and digital services connect. From there the connection will run on larger pair cable and 540/860 coax back to a MUX cabinet and then onto the fibre network back to the local headend.

The end of that cable will connect to an external splitter and housed in a brown/grey omni box. From here, Internal cable will be run to your first sockets. That cable run up your garden will be a siamese cable (both telco and coax together), your telephone socket will be fitted where you want (within reason) and will be seperate to your coax points for TV and Broadband.

Hope this helps, and glad to hear the initial install went well.

simps100
01-07-2010, 19:08
The telephone socket is needed to be on the ground floor in the front room, but ideally we would like the modem upstairs as thats where most of the equipment connects.

weesteev
01-07-2010, 19:45
The engineer can discuss this with you on the day of the install but what your asking for isn't unique so they should be able to accommodate you as long as your happy with the cable route.

Best of luck

simps100
01-07-2010, 22:23
Sorry another quick question, like BT is it possible to have 2 telephone points in the house?

jb66
01-07-2010, 22:27
yes

weesteev
01-07-2010, 22:31
yes

Haha simple answer, yes! You can have multiple phone sockets in your home as long as they are wired correctly. If you have existing BT extensions then the tech may be able to wire these into the new Virgin master socket for you.

jb66
02-07-2010, 09:35
Haha simple answer, yes! You can have multiple phone sockets in your home as long as they are wired correctly. If you have existing BT extensions then the tech may be able to wire these into the new Virgin master socket for you.

If it'll save him any time at all im positive he will use the bt wiring :)

Dinalt
03-07-2010, 17:18
So how did it go in the end ? :)

DinAlt

simps100
03-07-2010, 20:33
All went smashing thanks, the installer was great, very helpful and accommodating for our needs.

Get good speed to, going from unreliable under 1mb internet (far from exchange) to a 19.8mb connection, and 0.7 upload. Chuffed to bits!

Dinalt
03-07-2010, 23:19
Fingers crossed I'll be joining you on Tuesday.

DinAlt

Digital Fanatic
06-07-2010, 01:56
All went smashing thanks, the installer was great, very helpful and accommodating for our needs.

Get good speed to, going from unreliable under 1mb internet (far from exchange) to a 19.8mb connection, and 0.7 upload. Chuffed to bits!

Good to hear :tu: