PDA

View Full Version : Installation advice

BULLROOT
22-06-2010, 21:51
I have VM booked in for next Tues morning to install TV/Tel/BB. The small black VM box on road is to the front RHS of house. The straight route to house would go under 3 or 4 metres of grass and similar amount of tarmac, leaving grey VM box at front of house and a fair amount of internal wiring round skirting and doors to get to room where kit will be installed. The 'big girl' wont be happy if they dig up tarmac right in front of house.

The alternative and preferred route would be to go under 10 metres of grass to unused side of house and then a couple of feet of tarmac to front side of house - the wiring from grey box would then go round the back of house and straight through wall to where connections are required.

Does anyone know if VM engineer will be happy with second option or are there issues??

Does VM box have to be visible to front of house or can it be visible to front side??

Is there a loss of performance in running cable from street to grey box and then a distance on into house??

Any other issues?? I have been selling this to the big girl as a new dawn so she neeeds to be happy with the aesthetics??

Ben B
22-06-2010, 22:23
Hi There,

The VM engineer will discuss with you the best route to install but from what you have said I shouldn't think there would be any issues with what you are wanted. With regards to performance loss, the engineer will ensure that your signal levels are correct so there will be no performance issues.

Hope this helps,
Ben :)

weesteev
23-06-2010, 09:05
Install engineers will avoid Tarmac dig's at all costs, a dig in grass or unmade ground is always easier and quicker to re-instate. Ben is spot on, the engineer will discuss on the day with you and will ensure signal levels are fine for the Install to complete.

Remember the cable entry point to you rproperty i sdetemrined by the Tee location feeding your house, there may be a visible Tee cap on the footpath outside your property already. If there hasnt been cable at your address before then it will be a 2 man install team that attends so they should be able to get you up and running oretty quick.

Let us know how you get on!

BULLROOT
23-06-2010, 09:24
Thanks for the advice - there isa small 4 inch suare plastic box on pavement outside house with cabletel on it.

Will let you know after next week