PDA

View Full Version : 50MB ; very slow speeds after midnight

Blur
22-06-2010, 02:19
Hi folks,

I've noticed that my speeds often slow down considerably after around midnight or so and pages are consistently timing out. I've only been on the 50MB package for a couple of weeks now so Im not sure if this problem is consistent with every night but I have noticed it more than a few times.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/07/31.png

It was a fluke I got any upload speed at all in this test, more often than not, the test fails.

Any idea what the problem could be? I'm connected through the Netgear WNR200 router, but the speeds are the same via direct connect to the modem.

DARKFiB3R
22-06-2010, 10:53
i noticed this too. ive also noticed that im unable to ftp anything to my free space after midnight too. im on the phone to virgin media right now about it.

pip08456
22-06-2010, 11:00
As VM are in the process of upgrading the network for the 100Mb rollout and increased u/l speeds this could be the cause.

There is a lot of work carried out on the network during the early hours to minimise disruption to the majority of users. (Before you say it I too use the net after midnight!)

Red Squirrel
22-06-2010, 13:14
I thought all upgrade work was on hold until after the world cup, or would that just be TV related?

Blur
22-06-2010, 13:36
Thanks folks. I guess I'll just have to wait it out then and hope the speeds improve soon.

i noticed this too. ive also noticed that im unable to ftp anything to my free space after midnight too. im on the phone to virgin media right now about it.

You get an answer?

roughbeast
30-06-2010, 20:31
I thought all upgrade work was on hold until after the world cup, or would that just be TV related?

No, the change freeze applies to the internet too.

the-cable-guy
01-07-2010, 02:28
Hi folks,

I've noticed that my speeds often slow down considerably after around midnight or so and pages are consistently timing out. I've only been on the 50MB package for a couple of weeks now so Im not sure if this problem is consistent with every night but I have noticed it more than a few times.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/07/31.png

It was a fluke I got any upload speed at all in this test, more often than not, the test fails.

Any idea what the problem could be? I'm connected through the Netgear WNR200 router, but the speeds are the same via direct connect to the modem.

same here however an engineer came & removed the filter that was plugged inbetween the modem & the coax & its been working fine since, you should try removing it (if theres one installed) & let us know if it makes a difference. that being said according to their CS theres been alot of area faults lately, luckily a family member also has VM so im able to check & more often then not his internet was working fine when mine wasnt so they'v been telling porkies although on one occasion his was also down lol