PDA

View Full Version : New Install

scaseman
20-06-2010, 10:34
This is my first post as I would like to describe the install I had yesterday. I was currently subscribing to Sky but due to having a communal arial was unable to upgrade to Sky HD. So I ordered XL TV including Sky Sports & Movies, XL Phone and XXL Broadband via a VM rep on the 11/06/2010 and given a install date of 19/06/2010 between 1PM and 6 PM I was also promised a Samsung box.
Two VM vans arrived at 5.10PM. The engineers found that the block of flats that I lived in already had cable running up the exterior walls of the building so all they had to do was drill a hole in the wall of my flat and run a cable a distance of about 5 metres. Half way through the install the engineer produced a Scientific-Atlanta Explorer Box. I told him that I had been promised a Samsung Box but was told that I should not have been told this as it was down to what they had on the van. He also told me he thought it was a superior box. Well as they were half way through the install I thought well I would accept this as I have read a thread on this Forum explaining ways to get a Samsung Box if I wanted one plus I was itching to watch the World Cup in HD. Well the rest of the install proceeded well, taking a total time of one hour.
First impressions are Phone seems fine. TV better picture quality than Sky even on non HD channels. Broadband download aprox 50Mb upload aprox 1.65Mb. The box does seem to suffer from slow menus but I believe that is a box related problem. I even dialled 151 to get a question answered at 8PM in the evening and had a fairly quick response. So overall I think i can rate my experience as 4/5. It would have been higher if I had been given the Samsung Box.

Kymmy
20-06-2010, 10:37
:clap: Glad you're happy and welcome to the forum

Dave_
21-06-2010, 21:59
Id have been a bit upset at getting an SA box too but the guy wasnt fobbing you off. If the stores dont hand him any samsungs then his installs dont get samsungs.

Glad to see your happy with the services though , you rarely hear from the people who are happy :D

weesteev
22-06-2010, 08:18
Your not missing much with the Samsung box, granted it looks a bit better and the menu's are slightly faster... but thats about it. Functionailty is still identical to the SA model.

Glad to hear it all went well, you know where to come if you ever have any issues ;)

jb66
22-06-2010, 10:44
The samsung is only slightly better, it's really not worth the hassle getting one.

scaseman
22-06-2010, 11:30
I am quickly coming to that conclusion as well. You just have to not be too enthusiastic when using the menus. In fact it has an advantage as the Scart sockets are still active when in HDMI mode.

Kymmy
22-06-2010, 11:42
In fact it has an advantage as the Scart sockets are still active when in HDMI mode.

I think the new firmware also makes this happen now on the Samsung boxes