PDA

View Full Version : New Install but no internet

Mooseman
19-06-2010, 12:00
HELP
Hopefully some bod at Vrigin Media will read this and be able to get me some help!
I recently moved and have had their Broadband and TV package installed last week , Friday 11th June to be precise, the TV install is fine. My problem is i cannot get on the internet! (7 days now) I followed the Broadband installation procedure and all that happens is the modem resets at the end of the instructions, says i have to reset my modem manually , which i do and then i am back to the install page. Is this likely to be a Modem problem or some other issue? I have phoned The Virgin Media Team! most evenings this last week (3hours or more on the phone at time!), i follow their instructions (like a good little boy) reset modem, PC, disconnect coax, etc and low and behold i get back to the install page, lost count of the number of callbacks i have been promised. I was even told that my LAN card was at fault.....so i took the PC to work and connected up to our BT Broadband modem and was able to go straight to the Virgin Media homepage. I appreciate the guys in India work from a set of instructions but surely after this many attempts they should be expediting this problem to someone higher up (in the UK preferably).

Note if anyone replies to this i shall not be able to read it until i return to work on Monday, as i cannot access the internet at home!
So i shall be returning home once again and phoning The Virgin Media help team.......no doubt to go through the above all again.............wish me luck.

Peter_
19-06-2010, 12:12
It sounds like you are in the walled garden and one of my colleagues should be able to see this and get you online.

kwikbreaks
19-06-2010, 14:01
This sounds exactly like I got after a new install - as Masque says stuck in the walled garden because your modem hasn't been registered properly with VM.

There should be a number to call on the screen (or I think it's 151 from a VM phone). You will need the modem MAC which is printed on the label.

I got to what I'm guessing was the offshore support and the guy there had me up and running in no time at all so I'm not sure what problems you've encountered.

Chrysalis
20-06-2010, 06:12
was this a self install? mine the tech stayed till I was up and running but soon legged it when I checked the pings :(

kwikbreaks
20-06-2010, 07:56
Mine were contractors running late - they legged it as soon as it connected to the registration pages - they may have thought they'd registered the modem but it hadn't been done properly.

jb66
20-06-2010, 08:03
It's supposed to be simple so the customer can do it themselves but I usually do it for them. I have seen modems that refuse to release from walled garden and just go round the activation pages repeatedly and need replaced

Mooseman
21-06-2010, 13:27
SUCCESS..........Thanks to The Virgin Media Team I'm online now. Though i must admit it did start with 'Can you please unplug the modem! and i thought it was a case of here we go again. But not this time, after a bit of fiddling by the Tech lady on the other end, i was disconnected from the server.........reconnected and hey presto i'm happily surfing online now. So whether that's to do with the walled garden or not i haven't a clue.

So persistance paid in the end and i got a bit of a refund to boot.

General Maximus
23-06-2010, 23:23
why do you have to go through installation pages and stuff? I thought they didnt register MAC addresses anymore these days and the network accepted anything as long as it can detect it is connected to a VM address (don't know what the technical term is for it). I havent had to do anything with my last 2 modems, I just plugged them in and then worked straight off.

kwikbreaks
24-06-2010, 10:19
Maybe VM had pre-registered them?

Certainly my modem which was brough by the third party contractors needed registering. The contractors naffed it up - I'm guessing they entered the mac incorrectly as they were in a hurry and the print was small (it is also possible that they didn't heed their mother's warnings).

jb66
24-06-2010, 19:08
why do you have to go through installation pages and stuff? I thought they didnt register MAC addresses anymore these days and the network accepted anything as long as it can detect it is connected to a VM address (don't know what the technical term is for it). I havent had to do anything with my last 2 modems, I just plugged them in and then worked straight off.

Its a new thing called "the walled garden" it just links the mac address to your account

pip08456
24-06-2010, 19:18
Its a new thing called "the walled garden" it just links the mac address to your account

And there was me who thought it had been around for quite a while.:rolleyes:

jb66
24-06-2010, 19:20
And there was me who thought it had been around for quite a while.:rolleyes:

Depends what area your in, mines been doing it since Jan (Telewest)

pip08456
24-06-2010, 19:24
The "Walled Garden" has existed longer than that on all platforms AFAIK

jb66
24-06-2010, 19:30
The "Walled Garden" has existed longer than that on all platforms AFAIK

When I started working for virgin last year you popped one in, hit it and off it went, then a month or so after I started the Virgin pages started coming up.

pip08456
24-06-2010, 19:35
By hitting it do you mean registering it with your PDA or whatever?

jb66
24-06-2010, 19:50
Yes, you used to press hit and that was all, now you have to go through the walled garden process

Peter_
24-06-2010, 20:35
When I started working for virgin last year you popped one in, hit it and off it went, then a month or so after I started the Virgin pages started coming up.
I expect when you started that you were in an Ex-Telewest region which never used to have the Walled Garden process, but as we have unified the the accounts onto a single platform we now have to go through the Walled Garden process which is from the Ex-NTL platform.