PDA

View Full Version : Spare line?

ron101
18-06-2010, 13:45
Hi
Is it somehow possible two have two internet lines if one doesnt work for a while you can swap to the other one, this is so that i can always have a internet available, Like BT(phone line) and VIRGIN(cable)Ive got cable tv and phone and ide like BT to put in the phone in.This 50Bm is driving me mad keep dropping lines and sometimes it doesn't even come on for a day.

Hom3r
18-06-2010, 13:54
VM don't let home users have two internet connectons, You could get a VM connection and a BT ADSL one, but it would be a waste.

Besides in the 10 years or so that I've had VM (Cambridge Cable, Anglia Cable, NTL before), I can count on 1 hand the times I've had no connection internet and/or TV.

aclivity
18-06-2010, 13:55
PAYG 3G USB dongle?

ron101
18-06-2010, 14:43
[/COLOR]Never had trouble with the tv but with the internet since ive gone up to 50Gb the last 3 months ive probably lost about 15% percent or more of the time.
Will the dongle give a reasonble download speed or will it pay to buy the best one (which ever that is)Ive got a desktop by the way.

Hmm BT ADSL now that's a thought......

BenMcr
18-06-2010, 14:59
Two broadband connections on the same network would't really be any better than a single connection for redundancy purposes

So you would definately have to go for ADSL and cable

GordonD
18-06-2010, 15:36
Two broadband connections on the same network would't really be any better than a single connection for redundancy purposes

So you would definately have to go for ADSL and cable

I use Virgins 50mb service as primary connection backed up with BE's adsl service, both via a draytek router which will automatically pick up the adsl connection until the cable BB returns. :)

Can't say in all fairness that i've had any major outages with cable broadband in all the years i've had it.

pigpen
18-06-2010, 18:28
PAYG 3G USB dongle?

It's trivial to tether your phone to your computer as a last resort. Providing you have an "unlimited" data package it's surprisingly useable. I had to use it a couple of weeks ago when my 50Mbit line failed for an evening.

ron101
18-06-2010, 18:53
Lets get this straight i am with virgin phone,tv and BB and i would like to get a another line in for when (50Gb does break down ive been 3mths, sometimes days without it) BB goes down can i tell BT i want them to put in ADSL (when ive told VM to undo the phone) in, does that mean that some service from VM will be affected.

GordonD
18-06-2010, 20:49
Even if you now have all VM's services, am I correct in thinking you have a usable BT line? VM don't take over a BT line, they install their own.

In answer to your original question though, you can have cable broadband through virgin media as now & an adsl line from any other provider, doesn't have to be BT, but if that is your preference then yes.

RobboEdin
19-06-2010, 09:45
Lets get this straight i am with virgin phone,tv and BB and i would like to get a another line in for when (50Gb does break down ive been 3mths, sometimes days without it) BB goes down can i tell BT i want them to put in ADSL (when ive told VM to undo the phone) in, does that mean that some service from VM will be affected.

If you mean that you have asked Virgin Media to port your phone number to their phoneline then presumeably you no longer have a BT phoneline which you are actively paying for.

To install an ADSL broadband, you will need to contract to somebody to have a BT-type phoneline installed. Of course, you will have to pay for this phoneline as well as the ADSL broadband.

PS I'm not sure why a residential broadband connection requires any sort of backup broadband facility. Seems like an expensive overkill on your residential broadband requirements.

Ignitionnet
19-06-2010, 09:53
Hi
Is it somehow possible two have two internet lines if one doesnt work for a while you can swap to the other one, this is so that i can always have a internet available, Like BT(phone line) and VIRGIN(cable)Ive got cable tv and phone and ide like BT to put in the phone in.This 50Bm is driving me mad keep dropping lines and sometimes it doesn't even come on for a day.

Yes it's absolutely fine.

You can have Virgin cable and an ADSL broadband service delivered through a BT phone line. Neither cares at all about the other being there.

I had this arrangement for a while due to 50Mbit being so unstable.

ron101
19-06-2010, 13:15
HI ive got 150 on virgin but it goes through a BT point do i have to tell virgin that i don't want there phone any more?

GordonD
19-06-2010, 13:23
HI ive got 150 on virgin but it goes through a BT point do i have to tell virgin that i don't want there phone any more?

No! You need a seperate BT line! Are you saying VM have physically disconnected a working BT line to put theirs through your BT socket?

If so this is completely wrong and VM should have installed their own physical line & points, you need to raise this with VM and ask them to reinstate your BT line to it's original state and install their own sockets.

oliver1948uk
19-06-2010, 13:37
If 50M connection is so unreliable, why not return to 20 or 10 which many people (like me) find very reliable indeed. The only outage I can recall in recent years is when a local elecricity sub station caught fire, cutting power to VM cable which meant all services were off for 6 hours.

ron101
19-06-2010, 13:46
Hi ive got a virgin point and right next to it ive got a BT point they've both got cables coming out of them, BT has a phone cable coming out of it to the phone, and Virgin box has coax (looks like) but i dial 150 if i want Virgin otherwise its the same .

GordonD
19-06-2010, 14:16
Hi ive got a virgin point and right next to it ive got a BT point they've both got cables coming out of them, BT has a phone cable coming out of it to the phone, and Virgin box has coax (looks like) but i dial 150 if i want Virgin otherwise its the same .

So your plugged into the VM phone point?

Ok, then assuming your BT line is still active, you can order adsl on the BT line without affecting any of your existing VM services. However if you have transferred your old BT number to VM, then you will require a new BT number before ordering adsl.

Ignitionnet
19-06-2010, 15:30
If 50M connection is so unreliable, why not return to 20 or 10 which many people (like me) find very reliable indeed. The only outage I can recall in recent years is when a local elecricity sub station caught fire, cutting power to VM cable which meant all services were off for 6 hours.

The 20Mbit tends to run on the same network as the 50, the 10Mbit may run on the same network.

With all due respect to the people commenting on how reliable their services are this is purely your experience and is of no relevance whatsoever to the original poster's service quality or experience.

My experience is that reliability on VM and its' predecessors be it at 512k, 1Mbit, 3Mbit, 20Mbit or 50Mbit has been dubious, this across 4 different VM installs, 2 ex-original ntl, 1 ex-CWC, 1 ex-Telewest.

Your experience may vary and mine is in no way representative of yours, just as yours is in no way representative of the thread starter. He asked if he could get a second connection via a BT phone line, not to hear about how reliable other people's services are as it matters not one jot to him. If he wants a second connection it's his money and his call, you don't need it - great - he is of the opinion he does.

ron101
21-06-2010, 19:49
Hi now i cant find the modem properties it was 192.168.100.1 but the page is always blank now any suggestions?

By the way i got the neil CEO on saturday he sent the email i sent to two below him and they got THREE managers to come and see me monday morning and put it right , they were up at the box for an hour before they came to see me then they were with me a hour and were talking about 58.21 should 50 or less plus the strip in the box that takes all the customers in that area was faulty plus the cables were loose that made a diffiranese everybody was having trouble in that area(its all a bit garbled) but that the jist of it the bottom line in ITS OK HORRAY theyve left me a no. to phone on wednesday