PDA

View Full Version : Drop outs

Goonerpaul
18-06-2010, 13:38
Hi,

Just wondering if anyone else is having issues with VM cable broadband at the mo.

I work from home quite a lot, I picked today, so i would be home ready for the England game tonight, but im having major issues with the connection, so much ive had to revert to a slower 3g connection.

The issue is the vm broadband connection keeps dropping out, so i keep loosing my vpn connection. when i attempt to reconnect i get dns lookup errors, so i end up rebooting the modem and router, its about 20 times today so far.

Anyone else having issues?

poggy
19-06-2010, 10:49
yeah same here and has been for weeks now and you still never get a honest answer out of vm ,they say its my modem yet half the estate where i live is out too just broadband strange or what and they consistant every weekend too on off on off all the time its about time branson put some of his money into the company so we wont have these problems

caph
19-06-2010, 17:55
It's been going on in the Nottingham area for 4 to 5 weeks now. Some weeks have been chronic, others have been almost disconnection free.

I think it may be connected with the preparation for increasing the upload speed but I'm just guessing.

The thing I find most annoying is that I often get a MAC re-initialising event and when my modem reconnects my router can no longer talk wth the cmts until I reboot and do another DHCP handshake.

Chrysalis
20-06-2010, 06:17
caph sounds similiar to issues I been having with my router.

my symptons are the router will stop all traffic to the modem which of course kills internet connectivity.

I then disabled pc mac spoofing on the router which appeared to fix the problem as was fine for about 2 weeks.

Then a few nights back I had another loss of routing but this time the fix was different, simply hitting dhcp renew on the router got things back online again whilst previously I had to reboot the router.

I agree on the lack of openness from VM, back in the ntl days maintenance used to be posted on the status pages even if just rebalancing, now my area always says no known issues.

If you was able to still access your modem pages then your issue is different.

squealy
20-06-2010, 08:27
It's been going on in the Nottingham area for 4 to 5 weeks now.... i

No problems to report, here in NG7.

caph
20-06-2010, 10:16
No problems to report, here in NG7.

I'm connected to the Basford hubsite. Which one are you connected to Squealy?

Ignitionnet
20-06-2010, 10:41
Hubsite won't tell you much sadly. A disconnection that causes MAC reinitialisation will be caused by local RF conditions. Could very literally be just your connection alone that's suffering :(

caph
20-06-2010, 19:19
I just assumed that when we had a week or so of a problem status for Nottingham on the VM website we were all suffering the same problem. Maybe it was a separate issue then.

Strange that it just started happening out of the blue and that some weeks I rarely get the problem whilst today for instance I lost connection for about 6 hours.

Anyway, engineer booked for this week. Sorry for throwing a red herring into the thread.

mdwh2
23-06-2010, 12:30
Having problems here in Cambridge since last night. Sometimes the 2 minute reboot of the modem fixes it, but then it's disconnects again sometime later, in some cases after a matter of minutes.

stuntmanSLim
23-06-2010, 17:18
Hi, Loss of connection here every day from about 1pm to 5pm...
Doesn't matter what i do,i had this exact same problem before & it was a problem with the docsis 1.1 server,so VM put me on the docsis 1.0 server & problem fixed,but VM have put me back on docsis 1.1 server some time ago with no problems,but now problems...

Birmingham B16

Chrysalis
23-06-2010, 18:02
my connection did something today, went on the pc and net was down with cable modem very unresponsive in browser. My downstream power level has took a nosedive and I am on a new downstream channel.
I hit dhcp renew in the router and its alive again albeit slower.

Mr Angry
23-06-2010, 18:35
It's been going on here for the past two / three weeks.