PDA

View Full Version : cant use sony freeview recorder as well

lindahf1
18-06-2010, 10:25
i got cable installed great my dad was there so got home to find that i can't use my sony hd dvd recorder freeview box, so not sure what i have to do now, my dad fiddled around with the cables but nothing is working and i still want to use it as it cost £200 and it's not even a year old yet!

can anyone help :erm:

Kymmy
18-06-2010, 10:27
Welcome to the forum

What do you mean you can't use it?

Are you trying to record HD? Ar you trying to hook up the freeview box via the Virgin Media cable??

Without a detailed fault any answer would be pure guess-work

lindahf1
18-06-2010, 10:35
Welcome to the forum

What do you mean you can't use it?

Are you trying to record HD? Ar you trying to hook up the freeview box via the Virgin Media cable??

Without a detailed fault any answer would be pure guess-work

i can play stuff that i have recorded on the sony box but i can't get the guide up to record and it says can not used now? i can't seem to get a picture either but it has been plugged into the tv by the guy who installed the virgin cable box - is that any better sorry not very technical minded.

Kymmy
18-06-2010, 10:42
A few things you should be aware of

1# If the recorder is freeview then normally it can ONLY record freeview content. There is no freeview content (DVB-T) broadcast through the VirginMedia cable (DVB-C), that content is only available on a freeview system via a terrestrial Antenna. You can only use a VM supplied box to recieve VM signals from VM cable..

2# If your recorder can record via a SCART cable then you can connect the scart lead upto whichever Vbox you have this will enable you to record in standard definition.

3# If you have a V HD then you can not record HD via the HDMI as it's HDCP (copy protected)

For anything else you'll have to be more explicit

lindahf1
18-06-2010, 11:04
A few things you should be aware of

1# If the recorder is freeview then normally it can ONLY record freeview content. There is no freeview content (DVB-T) broadcast through the VirginMedia cable (DVB-C), that content is only available on a freeview system via a terrestrial Antenna. You can only use a VM supplied box to recieve VM signals from VM cable..

2# If your recorder can record via a SCART cable then you can connect the scart lead upto whichever Vbox you have this will enable you to record in standard definition.

3# If you have a V HD then you can not record HD via the HDMI as it's HDCP (copy protected)

For anything else you'll have to be more explicit

ok thank you not sure why he connected it to my tv though thought he would have known i have to have the terrestial ariel if that's the case. The reason i got cable was the ariel on our council block has been down for 6 weeks and i got fed up not being able to access tv channels apart from bbc. Thank you i will have another look.

Kymmy
18-06-2010, 11:10
If you want to record VM content then most people get a V+ box (will allow you to record 2 programs at the same time whilst watching a third) This may cost extra if you're on a low end package. Apart from that I can't suggest much else.

I hope though that you find a solution

lindahf1
18-06-2010, 11:42
If you want to record VM content then most people get a V+ box (will allow you to record 2 programs at the same time whilst watching a third) This may cost extra if you're on a low end package. Apart from that I can't suggest much else.

I hope though that you find a solution
i have a V+box i'm just annoyed that my sony freeview has been made redundant as it cost £200 and not a year old so don't feel like i have got my monies worth yet. Thanks for the help though.

Kymmy
18-06-2010, 11:48
Such is life when you change from one technology to another..

Being Sony it should resell well ;)

RobboEdin
18-06-2010, 12:53
i have a V+box i'm just annoyed that my sony freeview has been made redundant as it cost £200 and not a year old so don't feel like i have got my monies worth yet. Thanks for the help though.

Your SONY box is not redundant. It's tuner requires to get its signal (DVB-T) from an external aerial. It always has had to get this signal from an external aerial. Cable cannot act as an external aerial for your SONY as it delivers DVB-C not DVB-T.

lindahf1
18-06-2010, 13:03
Your SONY box is not redundant. It's tuner requires to get its signal (DVB-T) from an external aerial. It always has had to get this signal from an external aerial. Cable cannot act as an external aerial for your SONY as it delivers DVB-C not DVB-T.

thank you i guess i will still need to hassle the council over fixing the ariel they promised 6 weeks ago. :)