PDA

View Full Version : "You'll never have cable"

b3nj1
17-06-2010, 15:36
I had an installer visit my new build flat today in Peasdown St John nr Bath. It is a fibre area. Unfortunately he told me my block will "never have cable" as we dont have a duct.

The rest of the street has cable, so there are obviously connections nearby.

I was wondering if there's any way I can privately get cable fitted to my first floor flat? then get Virgin to switch it on.

It looks to be a fairly easy reach from either street and the green cabinet is less than 50M away

Obviously I am fairly new to this, and apologise in advance if my query is too vague.

I am desperate to get cable in though as a 24 meg connection can only guarantee a 2.4 meg speed

BenMcr
17-06-2010, 15:37
Follow the steps in the post on the Virgin Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Want-Cable-been-told-it-s-not-available-We-might-be-able-to-help/td-p/20585

b3nj1
17-06-2010, 15:42
Follow the steps in the post on the Virgin Community Forum http://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Fibre-optic-broadband-cable/Want-Cable-been-told-it-s-not-available-We-might-be-able-to-help/td-p/20585

Thanks very much

Is this a sticky?? If not it should be.

:)

weesteev
17-06-2010, 16:03
Hi b3nj1

If its a new build flat then its unlikely we can run cable externally on the building, there will also more than likely be some form of restrictions on the footpaths outside the property. There are many reasons why your new flat doesnt have cable but send your details over to cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk and the team can look into this for you!

Best of luck

Kymmy
17-06-2010, 16:10
Thanks very much

Is this a sticky?? If not it should be.

:)

As it's not on Cableforum you'll have to ask the Virgin Media mods about stickying it ;)

AntiSilence
17-06-2010, 16:15
Every time I've moved house I've made sure that there's a cable point outside :) lol. Can't be living without cable internet.

BenMcr
17-06-2010, 16:20
As it's not on Cableforum you'll have to ask the Virgin Media mods about stickying it ;)
It is already a sticky over there ;)

b3nj1
17-06-2010, 18:10
Hi b3nj1

If its a new build flat then its unlikely we can run cable externally on the building, there will also more than likely be some form of restrictions on the footpaths outside the property. There are many reasons why your new flat doesnt have cable but send your details over to cablemystreet@virginmedia.co.uk and the team can look into this for you!

Best of luck

I thought one of the reasons might be that the whole block came prewired for Sky, and as its social housing maybe they have some kind of deal with them, but then I'll attach myself to any old conspiracy.

Thanks very much for the Email address, I'll give that a bash.

In terms of asking about the link being a sticky, I meant that it would be a good idea to put it on here under a post such as "what to do if you've been told you can't have cable" as I wasn't aware of the existence of Virgins forum. After being told by an engineer that I can't have cable I thought that was the last word. Lo and behold a Google search brings me to this forum and not Virgins.

Tony.
17-06-2010, 18:13
I am always amazed that Virgin don't go and wire new builds whilst they are being built.
Especially when they are in a 'cabled' area!

jb66
17-06-2010, 18:55
I am always amazed that Virgin don't go and wire new builds whilst they are being built.
Especially when they are in a 'cabled' area!

They do

Tony.
17-06-2010, 18:59
They do

Then why are there so many threads like this one? :shrug:

jb66
17-06-2010, 19:31
Not sure, the builders must have a contract with sky, but all the buildings my way have a virgin cupboard under the stairs

weesteev
17-06-2010, 22:38
Then why are there so many threads like this one? :shrug:

Because there are Tens of thousands of new build sites over the UK just now, its likely that not all of them will get cable for many different reasons.

jungleguy
18-06-2010, 06:29
Because there are Tens of thousands of new build sites over the UK just now, its likely that not all of them will get cable for many different reasons.

As far as I'm aware there is only one reason why VM are not in more new build, and simply its because VM are not aggressive in this area. They're reactive when it comes to these things. No good turning up once the development is built... ho hum

weesteev
18-06-2010, 10:15
As far as I'm aware there is only one reason why VM are not in more new build, and simply its because VM are not aggressive in this area. They're reactive when it comes to these things. No good turning up once the development is built... ho hum

On the contrary, we are very agressive when it comes to New Build sites. You will find that some developers dont want us on their site or they contacted us too late, not allowing us adequate time to complete required planning works. There are many reasons including disputes over existing network location, damages, developers looking for to much money to have service put on site. Its a cut throat business and sometimes we dont get onto New Build sites when we would have liked to.

b3nj1
18-06-2010, 15:11
Took a lovely phone call today from my local 'Spotter' turns out we used to drink in the same pub. He's coming this evening to have a look with an engineer and is very confident he can get cable in.

Cheers again for the help guys I'll keep you posted

jungleguy
18-06-2010, 19:40
On the contrary, we are very agressive when it comes to New Build sites. You will find that some developers dont want us on their site or they contacted us too late, not allowing us adequate time to complete required planning works. There are many reasons including disputes over existing network location, damages, developers looking for to much money to have service put on site. Its a cut throat business and sometimes we dont get onto New Build sites when we would have liked to.

It's all about the bottom line, at the end of the day BT pay £120 per unit to a developer to duct up a development, VM in the old days expected a tribute for the privilege of putting their services in, that's now changed but the stigma remains! But they are not as competitive/aggressive as BT, and seeming as a developer is obliged to provide a telecom utility, the BT deal satisfies this legal requirement. In bear economic terms BT are a better option although the product is inferior! Ho hum

weesteev
18-06-2010, 20:37
It's all about the bottom line, at the end of the day BT pay £120 per unit to a developer to duct up a development, VM in the old days expected a tribute for the privilege of putting their services in, that's now changed but the stigma remains! But they are not as competitive/aggressive as BT, and seeming as a developer is obliged to provide a telecom utility, the BT deal satisfies this legal requirement. In bear economic terms BT are a better option although the product is inferior! Ho hum

Your figures may have been correct in the past but not anymore, BT certainly pay £120 per home but you will find we are more competitive on New Build sites we get access to and even get exclusivity agreements as well. Your right there is a stigma with some developers but we have an amazing team behind the scenes working to change that.

The days of NTL and Telewest are long gone.

kai91
29-06-2010, 01:13
The days of NTL and Telewest are long gone.

So why are people still using pace 4001 set top boxes that were the first digital cable box in the uk and are now 10 years old? Not exactly cutting edge technology is it!

Ben B
29-06-2010, 01:19
Not as bad as the steam powered Pace 1000 that someone I know has, but this is entirely off topic. It would cost VM a hell of a lot to replace everyone's old boxes with new ones so they only do it once the old box is faulty. They still do the same job, just the older boxes do it a bit slower than the newer boxes. Once the new TiVO boxes are launched later this year, people will have the option to move to the more 'cutting edge technology' as you put it :)

kai91
29-06-2010, 01:24
Not as bad as the steam powered Pace 1000 that someone I know has, but this is entirely off topic. It would cost VM a hell of a lot to replace everyone's old boxes with new ones so they only do it once the old box is faulty. They still do the same job, just the older boxes do it a bit slower than the newer boxes. Once the new TiVO boxes are launched later this year, people will have the option to move to the more 'cutting edge technology' as you put it :)

Yes i agree but i cannot understand why vm dont go to a system the same as sky where you can "buy" your set tob box. I can only see the positives with this:
1 less cost for vm initally
2 old equipment is taken off the network
3 people actually own the box and are not just paying an "install" fee
4 less cost in repairing/replacing old set top boxes that fail
5 customer recieves a better level of service

Ben B
29-06-2010, 01:42
Yes i agree but i cannot understand why vm dont go to a system the same as sky where you can "buy" your set tob box. I can only see the positives with this:
1 less cost for vm initally
2 old equipment is taken off the network
3 people actually own the box and are not just paying an "install" fee
4 less cost in repairing/replacing old set top boxes that fail
5 customer recieves a better level of service
1. I don't see how this is because they gain the money for the hardware costs from peoples subs per month
2. Not necessarily, people may not want to have to pay to upgrade there set top box so stick with the one they already have
3. I don't see how this is a positive as they will still be receiving TV services no matter who the equipment is owned by
4. Maybe so, but if Virgin allow people to buy set top boxes, then it could have a negative effect on the network which could impact them more sorting it out financially than having to replace a few set top boxes because anything could have been done to those boxes. With satellite there is no return path, the box is simply receiving a signal from the satellite feed so there is no effect on the network which could a occur on a Cable TV system.
5. How so? As it stands they don't have to pay when their service is broken for an engineer to come out or pay for any kind of extended warranty etc. I don't understand this point.

Ben :)

jb66
29-06-2010, 07:23
So why are people still using pace 4001 set top boxes that were the first digital cable box in the uk and are now 10 years old? Not exactly cutting edge technology is it!

Untill last month I was getting refurbished Pace 4000 delivered, there a good box, just a bit ugly

---------- Post added at 07:23 ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 ----------

1. I don't see how this is because they gain the money for the hardware costs from peoples subs per month
2. Not necessarily, people may not want to have to pay to upgrade there set top box so stick with the one they already have
3. I don't see how this is a positive as they will still be receiving TV services no matter who the equipment is owned by
4. Maybe so, but if Virgin allow people to buy set top boxes, then it could have a negative effect on the network which could impact them more sorting it out financially than having to replace a few set top boxes because anything could have been done to those boxes. With satellite there is no return path, the box is simply receiving a signal from the satellite feed so there is no effect on the network which could a occur on a Cable TV system.
5. How so? As it stands they don't have to pay when their service is broken for an engineer to come out or pay for any kind of extended warranty etc. I don't understand this point.

Ben :)

2 - when the box breaks, and virgin ask the customer to pay for a new one, they will speak to retensions to get a free one - it may be legal to mod your box if you owned it

ncfc1902
09-07-2010, 06:44
I'll keep you posted
Any updates?

b3nj1
10-07-2010, 20:16
Any updates?

Yeah sorry, Spotter required permission from landlord to undertake the work I have a install date of 17th July, was told to expect work to take up to a week. Once again I'll let you know