PDA

View Full Version : Wiring help / diagram needed for VM fixed line

GB2010
16-06-2010, 19:23
Hi - I'm trying to find a picture of the correct wiring for a VM fixed line box (where you plug the landline in to). I recently re-decorated and think I might have pulled the wires out. When I open the box we have a solid blue wire, a solid orange coloured wire and also blue/white and orange/white wires (4 in total). Does anyone know how they should be wired? A diagram would be great. No phone at moment so any help much appreciated! Thanks

jb66
16-06-2010, 21:54
In the master socket blue usually goes to the b leg and blue White on the a leg, the other 2 aren't used. In an extension blue is Normally number 2 blue and White is 5 and you will need a 3rd ringer wire. You'll need to put the orange in pin 3 on both sets and ignore White/orange

Jonnymeg
19-06-2010, 19:54
Or if your connections are numbered 1,2,3,4,5 then just use connections 2 and 5 with the blue wires either way round will work.

GB2010
20-06-2010, 22:56
Thanks Guys. I don't have any obvious numbers on my box. But, I've added some to the attached picture. Would you mind explaining which wire, should go where? Also - how do the wires work? The metal core doesn't look like it is in contact with the sockets (1 to 7). Any help, much appreciated. GB2010

Jonnymeg
21-06-2010, 16:41
Well, i use a different socket to that but for that one i would stick the blue on 1 and the white/blue on 3.

forget the oranges.

GB2010
03-07-2010, 10:06
still no joy i'm afraid. i'm trying to get away without having to get an engineer in (£50 cost i've been told). i'm not sure if the order of the wires are right? (which colour goes where) or if there needs to be actual contact between the metal of the wire and the socket/plug?

Any help, on this really annoying problem, much appreciated.

jb66
03-07-2010, 10:44
Ok I'll try and help, looking at that photo it would appeAr that is a master socket with no extensions.

There are two options, most likely is blue in 1 blue White in 3. It should be croned in. You can use a knife with the plastic jacket still on.

Sometimes orange is in one and orangewhite in 3 but that's not common.

Discard other wires

---------- Post added at 10:44 ---------- Previous post was at 10:43 ----------

It's a £35 fee for an engineer to do this for you

GB2010
06-07-2010, 21:14
Hey all - just wanted to say many thanks for your help. I tried the suggestions - to no avail. So called the engineer out and he fixed it this morning. No idea what the issue was but, there's no sign of a cost yet! All the best, GB2010