PDA

View Full Version : Is it out to host an ftp server using VM connection?

|Kippa|
16-06-2010, 13:09
I am just curious if it is alright to host an ftp server at home using a VM connection? Or is that not allowed for a domestic VM connection?

Kymmy
16-06-2010, 13:18
It's allowed as long as it's not for business usage I believe

kwikbreaks
16-06-2010, 13:28
I run an ftp server on my NAS which works ok. Don't forget that the upstream is pretty restricted though (at least until we get the upgrade VM are apparently testing rolled out nationwide)

Ignitionnet
16-06-2010, 14:19
I am just curious if it is alright to host an ftp server at home using a VM connection? Or is that not allowed for a domestic VM connection?

It's fine so long as it's not an anonymous FTP as far as I know.

Kymmy
16-06-2010, 14:25
It's fine so long as it's not an anonymous FTP as far as I know.

Even if it was anonymous as long as you monitor the content to ensure nothing illegal then it still falls within the T&C's

Chrysalis
16-06-2010, 19:55
I just had a look and was shocked to read VM actually allow server hosting. For a consumer service thats generous. The only caveats are keep it secure, make sure it doesnt affect other users and dont host illegal content.

AbyssUnderground
16-06-2010, 21:07
I used to for 3 years and never had issues. Friends also do the same at present and have no problems. All security issues are your problem not VM's however.

|Kippa|
16-06-2010, 21:49
I am pleasantly surprised that VM allows home users to host an ftp server on their connection. Thanks for the info m8es. :)

Kymmy
17-06-2010, 08:26
In certain respects (people are gonna hate me for saying this) byt VM are one of the most forward thinking ISP's in the country. It is the one with the highest average speed and as such is ideal for running ftp/servers. Also going from other threads the upload will probably be increased as well making it even more ideal

Well done VM :clap:

crazyronnie
17-06-2010, 12:04
Im sure there would be people saying that for other ISP's to. However i'm pretty happy 50mb.

ileikcaek
17-06-2010, 15:09
I think VM are good when it comes to things like this... someone I know online run an FTP server, IRC server and websites from his VM connection and all was good for years.

He then moved to BT recently and he's still doing the same but his IRC suffers constant dropouts and disconnections. I don't even think the BT ToS allows what he's doing.