PDA

View Full Version : DNS Blacklist - help

shalston
15-06-2010, 10:09
Hi,

Happily running a mail server for years, now been told my address range is blacklisted.

Checked with http://www.uceprotect.net/en/rblcheck.php, and whilst my IP is not blacklisted (82.45.xxx.xxx), the network range is (82.32.0.0/12).

All inbound email is being rejected! Can anyone help or verify?

Thanks,
Shalston.

Kymmy
15-06-2010, 10:12
IP removed for security purposes

All VM residential (and most of the busienss ones (apart from ex-telewest business static) are deemed as dynamic IP's and thus defaulted additions to the DNS blacklists. Just use the vm smtp servers instead of sending direct. (there's also the business smarthost if you are on VM Business

shalston
15-06-2010, 10:15
Yep, being doing that since I setup the mail server a few years ago. Outbound email is working fine. Inbound email is being rejected.

Kymmy
15-06-2010, 10:20
Impossible for RBL to effect inbound emails based on your IP, RBL ONLY checks incoming IP's (i.e ones sending too you) and I don't think any outbound SMTP's check RBL lists at all.

Can you provide a line or two from the maillog showing the rejection (please partially blot out the IP's/emails before cut/pasting)

shalston
15-06-2010, 11:01
You're completely right, and I've been misreading the rejection emails.

The mail server I'm using is querying DNS Blacklists (Spamcop, Spamhaus and SpamhausSBL-XBL) and one of them is rejecting mail. E.g. All GMail is rejected as blacklisted!

I've disabled the blacklist querying for now and all is working! Thanks for your help. Sorry I wasted your time ;-)

Kymmy
15-06-2010, 11:04
As long as you;ve learned something then it's definately not a waste of time :)

BTW, welcome to the forum :D