PDA

View Full Version : Speed using a wirless N Dongle?

bluebrigade
14-06-2010, 14:57
What speed should I be getting wirelessly?

I have 50mb BB and a DIR 615 with a Dlink DWA 140 plugged in.

Is there a few tweeks to be done on the router settings?

Have already tried changing over to N only on the router and the speed was worse!

I thought I would get at least 30 to 40mb wirlessly?

Cheers in advance

martyh
14-06-2010, 17:10
i think you may be getting mixed up with the download speed of your connection and the transfer speed/rate from router to machine ,they are two different things and one has nothing to do with the other

bluebrigade
14-06-2010, 22:15
i think you may be getting mixed up with the download speed of your connection and the transfer speed/rate from router to machine ,they are two different things and one has nothing to do with the other

When I am hardwired into the router I can obtain the full 50mb(when there is not a fault on the line)......

So what speed should I expect when wirelessly using a N dongle?

jb66
14-06-2010, 22:38
How long is a piece of string?

depends on
Distance/Walls/channels/other routers

martyh
14-06-2010, 22:48
When I am hardwired into the router I can obtain the full 50mb(when there is not a fault on the line)......

So what speed should I expect when wirelessly using a N dongle?

usually i get about 45mbp/s when wireless doesn't make any difference wether you use the dongle or not your download speed will not improve because you use the dongle ,however the transfer rate of the signal from your router to your machine will be faster and stronger you can expect upto 300mb p/s if you use the dongle with no obstructions ie sitting next to the router

kwikbreaks
15-06-2010, 06:25
First hit on google for 802.11n throughput results ...

http://www.arubanetworks.com/pdf/technology/TB_11NPERF.pdf