PDA

View Full Version : Samsung STB, 10Mb service, 8021 and DMX errors.

k.e.jones
13-06-2010, 23:03
Hi,

If anyone can give me a second opinion on this I'd be really appreciative! We had a very short brownout this morning. We had to nip out shortly afterwards so I didn't notice that the 10Mb broadband didn't come back up.

When I returned I ran everything through all the diagnostics, reboots, cool off and insider knowledge I could remember about STB behaviour but my router didn't pick up a DHCP lease (neither did 2 computers or a laptop I directly attached to provision).

20 years in IT support says my network works fine but I did remove it all to test everything in its simplest form.

I checked the STB logs and found it was giving,

(8021)
then a few CAK (first pair failed, second success)
then a DMX reset (EMM) which failed with 0, 95 after each line

which didn't sound very hopeful.

I rang the support line,

a) Got through the number punching to reach a dead echoing phone line.
b) Got through to a support guy in the Indian call centre who redirected me STB support, which went dead after some more number punching exercises.
c) Got a dead echoing line again after some more number punching.
d) Eventually got through to a support chap (again India) who;

After a short chat with his line supervisor, started to lead me through the Vista test instructions at which point I mentioned having checked all that and was in the support business myself. He tried to explain to me the instructions again, at which point I said he didn't need to explain it, I already knew that the computers were working. I mentioned I was getting errors on the STB. I listed those errors and he said he would test the connection. He said their were no faults and then passed me on to a cable modem replacement chap (? it was hard to catch what department with the rather thick accent).

There, I was greeted by a chap who proceeded to sell me a cable modem as an upgrade with a price reduction on my rental etc. I said all I was looking for was for the broadband to work. He reiterated the deal.

a) He stated it would be more reliable, to which my reply was this is the first time in 4 years it's gone wrong.
b) He asked if I was happy. I said I will be if it works.

After a bit more wrangling to get out of waiting two weeks for an installer and just asking for the modem to be delivered asap, I'm now waiting.

Yeh, okay, guilty, if my rental goes down and the speed goes up then that's fine with me but I have no clue at this moment whether the STB became faulty, whether the cable modem being sold as a replacement for a fault is fair practise in this situation nor am I confident that the service itself will work when it arrives.

Does anyone know if the errors above look like a faulty STB? Should a replacement not be supplied for free? Should the support staff have at least taken notice of the error codes?

The STB still shows TV fine, on-demand even works quicker since its been rebooted. All the settings look normal. It's got its own IP and the DHCP return path is on. It's just those errors showing in the log.

If anyone has any clues, please let me know!

Regards,

Keith

PS: Yep, I checked the service pages and they said everything was fine for my postcode.

Ben B
13-06-2010, 23:07
Hi there and :welcome:,

The error codes are pretty normal, I get exactly the same ones on my Samsung STB. However, broadband via STB is no longer supported so Virgin Media have disabled it on your box and this is why they are changing you to a Cable Modem which everyone should be on now.

Ben :)

k.e.jones
14-06-2010, 13:03
Hi,

Thank you for replying Ben, and thanks for the welcome too!

So basically, what I spent my time reporting and diagnosing really wasn't a fault and the loss of service is likely to be a direct result of VM's actions?

Hmmm, that wasn't a very nice thing for them to do... So nice of them to tell me huh? No letters, no e-mails... nothing but a disconnection and an extra bill.

I feel another phone call is due...

Thanks for the help.

Keith

k.e.jones
15-06-2010, 20:14
Hi,

I just thought I'd better keep on chugging away at reporting what's going on with my problem.

Today I was really busy at work so I didn't even get a chance to phone up and clarify the issues with anyone. My bad!

My wife, however, found a delivery note from the Home Delivery network saying that they'd tried to deliver two parcels to me when she came home.

I'll keep score;

+1 for speedy delivery.
+1 for using a delivery agent with a website.
+1 for using a delivery agent with a website where you can book re-deliveries.
-1 for using a delivery agent who only can only book whole days (not even am or pm)
-1 for using a delivery service that didn't call ahead.
+1 for using a delivery agent who are open for pickups
+0 for the delivery being two parcels (cable modem and wireless router? Is the Quick start kit a third item? I guess I'll find out tomorrow whether this changes to -1 or +1)

That's not too bad (+2) but then I guess ideally it should have been +7. At least it isn't in negative figures but I haven't scored the "user experience" yet ;-)

Ho hum,

Keith

jb66
15-06-2010, 20:36
I've never had a delivery company call ahead.

k.e.jones
15-06-2010, 22:08
You're right but given I was marking them on "ideals" you might want to give me a bit of leeway. Ideally the +1 for speedy delivery should have been out of the equation too, i should have expected delivery as soon as possible and not be thinking about 3-4 working days ;-)

We've got two companies that deliver stuff to us on a semi-regular basis (farm produce and nappies!).

One sends us an automated synthesised voice message to announce that they'll be dropping off their delivery. The other actually rings to ask when it's convenient.

I know it's a rare customer care thing but I've also had delivery companies do that on an increasing basis. I've at least had 4 or 5 company's delivery guys phone because they're standing outside our house and we're not answering. That might not class as ringing ahead but at least they went the extra yard.

It makes sense given how much fuel costs nowadays... and it certainly keeps customer relations on solid ground. I don't think it'll be long before it becomes the norm.

Well I hope it will....

Keith