PDA

View Full Version : 2 modems

tooly
13-06-2010, 19:34
Recently moved home where we had 2 internet modems, was told by Virgin the installer would be able to reinstall the two modems again, he came up with a bunch of excuses basically he said he didn't have the time.

Now virgin are being funny about it, saying they don't do 2 modems. (indian division..) Then I was being told we can set up a new account, was told by the installer they can add the modem its just against their policy.

Any idea how I get 2 modems. I'm being bounced around by virgin between sales and tech.

I don't see why they have a problem with this; its not like millions of people have modems inc businesses and flats.. jesus

p.s I hate routers

Peter_
13-06-2010, 19:39
The is no way under the present system that you are able to have 2 modems in the one property and Offshore are 100% correct in the information they have given you.

You can ring Customer Services tomorrow after 0800 but they will only say the same as Offshore and myself, only one modem per property.

If you want a 2nd connection then you would need a business account or an ADSL account.

Matt-08
13-06-2010, 20:05
What are your reasons not to use a router?

tooly
13-06-2010, 20:15
What are your reasons not to use a router?

wireless blackspots, routers are never stable, always have to restart them, which explains not wanting todo a cabling job just to reset the routers all the time.

BenMcr
13-06-2010, 20:23
You do realise the internet runs on routers ;)

I would say that if the router you have needs restarting a lot then something is wrong with it

deathtrap3000
13-06-2010, 20:36
Assuming you still have 2 active modems then all you would need to do is have them both connected to the point in which the cable comes into your home.

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2010, 20:43
Assuming you still have 2 active modems then all you would need to do is have them both connected to the point in which the cable comes into your home.

Wrong.

Moving house to a new area will have deactivated the existing modem accounts.

Once upon a time it was possible to have two modems linked to a single account and single address. Under the current Virgin Media systems that is no longer possible.

Graham M
13-06-2010, 20:44
Unlikely unless the 2 properties are nextdoor to each other (or very nearby) - and also if the old account has been closed

Edit: Beaten by Rob ;)

deathtrap3000
13-06-2010, 20:47
Wrong.

Moving house to a new area will have deactivated the existing modem accounts.

Once upon a time it was possible to have two modems linked to a single account and single address. Under the current Virgin Media systems that is no longer possible.
So I cant take my modem and plug it into another area like I can with the STB?

MovedGoalPosts
13-06-2010, 21:16
Nope VM have dealt with that issue and even your STB will be going the same way. Basically your kit is hired to you at your customer address and nowhere else.

GordonD
14-06-2010, 10:33
wireless blackspots, routers are never stable, always have to restart them, which explains not wanting todo a cabling job just to reset the routers all the time.

Perhaps you need to invest in a decent modem designed for business use, the draytek range suit that, as i'm sure there are 100's more out there.

My wireless connection is top notch and the router does not reboot/reset unless instructed to by me via the control panel, so far the uptime of the router is 47 days without a reboot.

Kymmy
14-06-2010, 10:42
Never in 2 years has my netgear missed a beat, was only £20 refurb and is a WGT624v4. Along with a g+ netgear dongle it gives 108Mbps.

As Masque said in his first post there is a way of getting 2 cable modems and that is one residential and the other business.

Zhadnost
14-06-2010, 11:18
Can you still have a second IP as an option?
Think it was for people with Playstations and X-boxes.

Ignitionnet
14-06-2010, 11:20
No, that was gotten rid of a while ago.

Kymmy
14-06-2010, 11:22
Nope, again only VM Business offer more than one IP (though not even sure if 5 IP's is still available from them as they seem to have removed all mention off them

[Beaten to it by an IPA sipper, whatever next!!!!]

:p: