PDA

View Full Version : address from a phone number

spike47
12-06-2010, 13:56
Hi there

Is there anything on the Web that I can use to find a address from a phone number.

cheers and thanks

spike

*sloman*
12-06-2010, 14:17
Not that i know of and a quick google search doesn't bring anything back. The police will have access to this information if your getting threatening or abusive calls.

whitewineandsoda
12-06-2010, 14:20
A few times I've got an address by googling the phone no, but they have usually been business no's.
If it's a nuisance call go to http://whocallsme.com/

Wad_2002
14-06-2010, 16:42
Just out of intrest...why would you want to know?

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 18:47
Hi, I too would like to know if there is a reliable way to obtain an address from just a phone number. Simply putting the number into Google doesn't really help, as it just gives the (possible) general area. Is it possible to home in on the actual address? And no, this isn't for stalking purposes! I may need to take legal action against someone who tried to stitch me up. He's not being forthcoming with any details! I do have his home phone number though. Any real help will be greatly appreciated. :)

Kymmy
23-08-2010, 18:50
Short answer is No, if it's not associated to an address via something like an internet advert/report that you can google then you're not gonna find it

RobboEdin
23-08-2010, 18:53
Hi, I too would like to know if there is a reliable way to obtain an address from just a phone number. Simply putting the number into Google doesn't really help, as it just gives the (possible) general area. Is it possible to home in on the actual address? And no, this isn't for stalking purposes! I may need to take legal action against someone who tried to stitch me up. He's not being forthcoming with any details! I do have his home phone number though. Any real help will be greatly appreciated. :)

If it is criminal action then the police will need to be involved and they presumeably can put an address to a telephone number.

If it's a civil case then I don't really think there is any way to get access to this information. Do you know the person's name and roughly where they stay?

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 21:54
Hi Kymmy/RobboEdin,

Yes, it would be a civil case - if it needs to get that far. Car Dealer sold me a car that has couple problems with it - making it unroadworthy.

Was told by Autotrader that the Police/Trading standards would have to give them the thumbs up to release info to me. TS have already quashed that (citing Data Protection) and I know Police will do the same.

I have the guys first name only, and I know where he works out of - but it's not a shop as such - more like a Portacabin. Should have got more info at the time - hindsight!

Saw one of these other threads, and you got people acting like it was/is easy to get an address from a phone number - maybe not after all eh?

Thanks for your replies.

Kymmy
23-08-2010, 21:57
Is the company registered? If so then you can normally get the directors details

*sloman*
23-08-2010, 22:05
if you know his name and where he may live say nottingham, 192.com holds a serious amount of information about people. you do have to pay to view the info but think its only a few quid.

Typing in my name and the city i live in bought back my age range who i live with for free, for a few quid it will let me view everything.

there are sites that claim to be able to tell you but want £30, try and befriend a BT engineer see if they can help ;)

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 22:05
Hi Kymmy,

No, I don't think he is. Think Arthur Daley.

So annoying - I have 2 numbers for him, and 1 is clearly residential. They go on about these reverse directories available everywhere, but I can't get one to work so far!

I guess If I had a friend in the Police, or at BT....

:angel:

Kymmy
23-08-2010, 22:07
I guess If I had a friend in the Police, or at BT....

would you seriously ask a friend to break the law for you???

:rolleyes:

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 22:11
Seems strange to me. You buy a car from a dealer, and you're protected by the Sale of Goods Act - yet Data Protection stops you finding out any missing info you might need?

Remind you of anything?

Buying numberplates off one Goverment department (clearly sold as words which you need to mis-space to achieve)

And then getting pinched by another goverment dept - ie the Police.

I wouldn't consider it as breaking the law. I need his details to be able to take him to court - which the goverments own legislation would allow me to do?!

Kymmy
23-08-2010, 22:17
What about taking the company to court (sole trader or limited) then he'd have to respond back to the court with the company's owner or directors details

Have you actually talked to a solicitor? Also what documentation did you get with the car in the form of contract/reciepts..etc...

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 22:27
Yes, have talked to a solicitor. Advised me to write to him - which I have done at the business address.

I got a hand-written piece of paper with a squiggle on it when I bought the vehicle.

Russ
23-08-2010, 22:44
Buying numberplates off one Goverment department (clearly sold as words which you need to mis-space to achieve)

And then getting pinched by another goverment dept - ie the Police.

You'd be wrong there - as someone who once worked in that 'government department' who sold personalised registration marks, I can tell you we were not permitted to sell them if you gave us any inclination that you were going to misrepresent your registration. If someone called up and said "I want to make a registration look like my name" we were to give them one chance to say they weren't going to do it or we'd have to end the call. Anything else and we could be prosecuted for assisting an offender. Sounds stupid I know but that's the government for you.

Oh and by the way there is no way to get someone's details from their number. The DPA is there for a reason.

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 22:56
Thanks Russ, you've just confirmed how certain people can get away with certain things..

So the DVLA have never sold a plate on the suggestion it spells a name, or a word? They may not actually say it, but to pretend thats not what their doing - would be absolutely hilarious - if it wasn't so wrong.

And having to 'end the call' if there was any suggestion of mis-spacing is commonly known in the trade as 'covering your a$$'

I think you'll find.

I mean how come MR51 NGH sold for £500k? (by DVLA)

It doesn't actually spell anything does it?

Oh, unless you mis-space it....

Case closed.

Russ
23-08-2010, 23:08
Thanks Russ, you've just confirmed how certain people can get away with certain things..

So the DVLA have never sold a plate on the suggestion it spells a name, or a word? They may not actually say it, but to pretend thats not what their doing - would absolutely hilarious - if it wasn't so wrong.

And having to 'end the call' if there was any suggestion of mis-spacing is commonly know in the trade as 'covering your a$$'

I think you'll find.

I mean how come MR51 NGH sold for £500k? (by DVLA)

It doesn't actually spell anything does it?

Oh, unless you mis-space it....

Case closed.

OK you've clearly made up your mind with nothing other than anecdotal evidence whereas I have experience in the matter.

Firstly the department who sell registration marks over the phone are not the people who were involved in the auction of MR51 NGH. There is a £5000 price limit on the phone sales. When you call them up there is a verbal contract which is recorded. Part of that contract says you will not misrepresent your registration. Just because someone buys J1 MMY doesn't mean they are going to alter the spacing.

If any DVLA staff member sold a registration on the suggestion it be used illegally they would be subject to instant dismissal. Every call is recorded and monitored.

This of course is going way off topic so if you have any further questions about it, feel free to PM me.

toojohnny
23-08-2010, 23:16
Hi Russ,

I don't really have much more to say about it. I would never imagine the govt - or any of it's related depts ever to do anything wrong.

Like where they want to nab back your own number plates from you, if your car doesn't have an MOT, because you don't actually 'own' the plate, you just have the rights to it. Funny how they make it sound as though you are buying the plates thought doesn't it. And besides, if they can pinch the plates back from you, the un-related auction arm can sell them off!

But of course, I don't know much about any of it.

I guess I imagined the £93 million claimed by the 600-odd mp's as well.

But you are right on 1 thing - this is way off subject, and I think that's dead in the water.