PDA

View Full Version : modem fast hard wired - slow wireless

MarkinStoke
10-06-2010, 09:25
yesterday i had my 20mgb service upgraded to 50, i recieved a new modem and wirless router, since then it's been deadly slow on wireless. When i do a speed test on my comp and it's wired i get around 49.2mgb when wireless it's between .5 -2 mgb this test was done with comp and router in the same room!. My xbox360 (wireless)will log onto live, but has real trouble downloading anything and crashes. any ideas

I have tried to speak to tech twice now the first time a guy who i was struggleing to understand promised me a call back as he needed to escalate the problem to his supervisor - call back never came. the second time I gave up as the person i was speaking to wouldn't always respond to me and again i kept having to ask the to speak clearer. are there any UK numbers for tech as i'm seriously considering just having them come and take it all out.
cheers

pip08456
10-06-2010, 09:36
0800 052 0431 will get you the 50Mb support team in Liverpool usually, if they are busy you could still get put through to offshore.

Graham M
10-06-2010, 11:36
mgb? you mean Megabytes per second? If so then that would be about right for wireless B/G, the router supports wireless N which in an ideal situation would allow you to get the full 50Meg wirelessly, but that rarely ever happens in most situations. However, if the devices you are using to connect to the Wireless N router only support the B/G standards then that is the speed you will get.

MarkinStoke
10-06-2010, 16:12
have just been speaking to VM and they are sending a new router out as todays speeds were upload 0.1 and download 0.5, fingers crossed it may resolve it.

adeys
10-06-2010, 21:25
try changing the channel on your wireless router after having 2 engineers out it finally worked out to be the channel the router was on no flyin at 50mb nicley

manamal
11-06-2010, 13:45
Obvioudly make sure there are no technical issues on the VM side however - wireless can be flakey at the best of times - and when your in the middle of kicking someone's A$$ on LiVE last thing you need is your connection to play up.

I would recommend getting rid of wireless for such important connections going wired if you can.

If there is a distance issue use (ethernet over power adaptors) I use them and they work V. Well :D

leave the wireless for laptop (or handheld) surfing etc...

Have fun.

ME