PDA

View Full Version : unsecured wireless connection

Teifion Rees
09-06-2010, 22:02
Hi,

Virgin media enginee installed wireless broadband for me a couple of weeks ago. I have since discovered - Connection ok but unsecured!

Been in touch with engineer at VM after much (over one hour) of following his instructions situation not resolved - engineer decided there was a fault with the modem and sent me a new one - connected this up - connection is still ok but still unsecured. Again contacted a VM engineer after much huffing and puffing the engineer decided I had a faulty router. I have been sent a new router but I dont have a clue how to set it up - The new router came as a package with a set up disc - do I "simply":confused: run the new disc and follow the instructions or What? Pleae help"!

Teif

zing_deleted
09-06-2010, 22:05
well run the disc and see if that does not resolve it get back

which router you got?

Teifion Rees
09-06-2010, 22:08
Thanks for the reply

router netgear G routerWGR614

Teif

pip08456
09-06-2010, 22:48
If I recall correctly when the netgear is connected for the first time it automatcally opens a configuration page to enter SSID and password. That will secure your wireless connection.

If not the details for manual access are printed on the underside of the router.

It has nothing to do with the modem so I can't understand why anyone would consider it a modem fault in the first place.

Teifion Rees
10-06-2010, 16:11
Thanks for the advice :) have now discovered that not only is the original modem ok as well as the original router (But VM sent me a new one!) - will try to fix the problem

Teif

Ben B
10-06-2010, 16:13
With the NETGEAR WGR614, go to www.routerlogin.net (http://www.routerlogin.net) and enter the username virgin and the password password and then click on Wireless Settings on the left to secure your router :)