PDA

View Full Version : Broadband kaput

c0n0r
17-08-2005, 13:28
Hi.
Last Thursday night I was working on the internet and my connection just dropped suddenly. It hasnt come back since. I have phoned Broadband helpline (in India) and they didnt help. Told me to reboot the modem and restart the computer, even after I had told them that I had done that about 17 times. They then told me do a system restore and that if that didnt work then they couldnt help :mad: Said it was a problem with my computer

The only lights that are on on the modem are the power light, USB, sync and Rdy. U/S and D/S both flash once or twice when first switched on. The status of the connection in Network Connections is "Limited or no Connection"

Anyone any ideas?

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 13:29
What area of the country are you in?

c0n0r
17-08-2005, 13:30
North Belfast

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 13:32
Nothing on the status page about it.

Have you tried connecting to the modem via USB rather than via USB?

Turn everything off
Unplug the USB cable
Plug the ethernet one in
Turn the modem on and wait for the lights to settle
Turn your PC on and wait for the HDD activity light to settle

c0n0r
17-08-2005, 13:34
Dont have an ethernet port unfortunately.

Raistlin
17-08-2005, 13:38
Dont have an ethernet port unfortunately.

Oh :(

Not sure what to suggest then, maybe worth another call to Faults - hopefully you'll get a center in this country , they might know of an outage in your area.

c0n0r
17-08-2005, 13:40
Oh well. Cheers anyway.

Jules
17-08-2005, 13:42
If you are sure it is not your comp ring them and ask for a engineers visit

Grafton
18-08-2005, 13:17
I lost my broad band yesterday. After phoning the support helpline I found out that I had been cut off for non-payment of the bill. Except I pay by DD and all payments are up-to-date.

After speaking to customer services I found out that their system has been locking out quite a few people for non-payment, when in fact they have paid.

So if the modem has the lights on that you expect, it may be worth giving cs a call to see if you have been disconnected too.

Nemesis
18-08-2005, 13:29
If the Sync and RDY lights are on, I would check/reinstall the USB drivers.

jaycee
18-08-2005, 14:37
Check another USB device on your USB ports on your PC. If these work, try swapping out the USB cable (they are a standard kind A-B cables that you get with many USB devices, printers in particular).

If this doesn't work you can either buy an Ethernet PCI card for a tenner, which is more reliable anyway, or insist to Faults that your modem has failed and that you need a replacement. Removing and reinstalling the USB drivers for the modem is also a possibility.

If the SYNC/RDY lights are on, you haven't been cut off. The RDY light goes out when you are cut off for nonpayment.

KevAmiga
18-08-2005, 15:59
Read my 169 IP guide on the front page.

:)

Grafton
18-08-2005, 21:27
If the SYNC/RDY lights are on, you haven't been cut off. The RDY light goes out when you are cut off for nonpayment.

My SYNC/RDY were on, yet I had been cut off.....

nffc
18-08-2005, 21:53
"%windir%\system32\netsh.exe winsock reset catalog"

run that in the start-run box sans quotes...

if it still doesn't work... then unplug the modem, turn it off, go into device manager, remove the driver, reinstall the driver and plug it back in, then turn it on...

KevAmiga
18-08-2005, 23:27
Power down the modem. Take out the coax. Power up modem. Reboot PC. Still saying limited or no connectivity(try a few "repairs"???"

c0n0r
05-09-2005, 10:52
I tried everything. Installed an ethernet card. Phoned help line again. (STILL COULDNT HELP) and I was actually thinking of dropping ntl altogether becuase they were so unhelpful and were always blaming my computer when I was adament that there was nothing wrong with it. I know this because I tried my mates laptop with my modem and he couldnt get a connection.

Then all of a sudden on Sunday evening.....it just starts working again!!!!!