PDA

View Full Version : is my modem faulty?

General Maximus
08-06-2010, 00:24
Hi guys, I am in Lincoln and for the last couple of hours my connection keeps dropping off and coming back after a few mins. To start off with all the lights were on on my modem and it was the blue tick that was flashing and now it seems to be getting worse and the blue tick isnt flashing at all and the up arrow is flashing. I attributed this to a service fault but the chums in India say no and reckon my modem is faulty. I have read other threads on this forum and people go on about T3 timeouts and stuff and I dont really know what they mean. This is a bit off my error log and the upstream info:

No Ranging Response received - T3 time-out;CM-

Channel Type 2.0
Channel ID 3
Frequency
(Hz) 47400000
Ranging Status Success
Modulation 16QAM
Symbol Rate
(KSym/sec) 512
Mini-Slot Size 1
Power Level
(dBmV) 48.25
T1 Timeouts 0
T2 Timeouts 0
T3 Timeouts 97
T4 Timeouts 0

and I have pulled this from the downstream info

Uncorrectable Codewords 302 306 299

I don't know whether I have ever had any timeouts before, this is the first time I have had to look. I just want to know whether the modem has had it or whether it is a problem on the network. Up and till now my modem and connection have always been 100%.

Any help would be muchly appreciated

thanks

Gavin78
08-06-2010, 00:35
I've been getting the same for over a week now I'm in Leeds but its too intermitant sometimes I can go all day and its ok then I get to 10/11pm and it cuts out a few times, like yesterday I had to reset the modem about 6 times and today had to do it only twice

pip08456
08-06-2010, 00:36
Partial stats don't really help at all. However you are on a 50Mb connection presumably and the Uncorrectable codewords being around the 300 mark is about right as they accrue on modem boot.

The T3 timeouts look to be high but without the full log file is meaningless as it cannot be seen how long these have beed adding up and could be as simple as not getting a response for a request for the time.

You should really post the full U/s and D/s stats and a full copy of the log file.