PDA

View Full Version : Down the drive...

cheechm
07-06-2010, 22:15
Wondering if anyone knew either how much it cost, or the ways this could be done. Looking at getting Virgin Media 50meg, however my house is down a 50metre driveway (from the street). I know that VM offer the service on my road (both my neighbours can get it) so it is a matter of asking them to install it in my house. What is the best way about doing this? Will they charge me an extortinate amount to do the extra 50m? Is there a way I can do some of it myself to make it cheaper?

Cheers

E2A: Is VM FTTH or FTTC? And my LLU is Wimbledon.

pip08456
07-06-2010, 22:21
All VM cabled areas are FTTC. LLU does not come into the equation unless you are in a non cabled area and you would be offered an ADSL connection.

Give CS a ring they will tell you of any charge. It costs nothing to ask.

Matt-08
07-06-2010, 22:24
You will pay the relevant installation charge usually either free or £35-55 and this includes everything to get your services hooked up and will include the 50m cable run.

cheechm
07-06-2010, 22:27
Alright, many thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

broadbandking
07-06-2010, 22:39
Alright, many thanks. I'll let you know how I get on.

Its a max of £55 installation for 50Mb, £35 Installation fee and £20 activation fee, you can get a option to get free install just depends on the deals at the time.

cheechm
08-07-2010, 19:13
According to the spotter there is absolutley no chance of getting this done, even though there is cabinet at the end of my driveway, they only do new installs of 10metres. Also I can't dig the trench myself either etc... Any suggestions?

Spann3r
08-07-2010, 20:03
If there is a T at the top of your drive then it makes no difference how long your drive is. I have no idea why the spotter says the max distance is 10m as I have done plenty of installs where the drive is longer than 10m.

cheechm
09-07-2010, 18:14
What exactly do I need to look for at the end of my drive? Do you have any pictures of tell tale signs to look for?

TIA

MovedGoalPosts
09-07-2010, 19:40
The "T" is a little plastic disc in the street pavement on the boundary to you property. If it is there is will be flush with the pavement surface. It's the cap to the duct or pipe and will be around 1.5" diameter. Sometimes they have been triangular. Usually black, sometimes they might be brown. Often they will be embossed with the original cable franchise name.

If there is no visible T your property probably isn't in range of a service duct. No duct = no chane of service regardless of the drive length.

cheechm
09-07-2010, 20:40
Been to the end of the drive and hasd a look:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/07/51.jpg

Red arrow points to a manhole cover which says CATV on it. The grass verge belongs to my neighbours (to the right of the white line), and the gravel to the left of the white line belongs to me.

Does this have any signifiance? Considering that according to VM, my neighbours (the ones who own the grass verge) can get fibre optic broadband.

I know that down the drive is about 50 metres, but surely I can pay extra to have it installed. I'm just tired of my crappy BT service which I pay too much for and would really like something a bit quicker!

weesteev
09-07-2010, 23:35
That is a wedge 2 chamber, could either contain core or access network. If your neighbours can get service then its likely that it contains Telephone and Coax connection points for drop cables or just a junction box depending on the network architecture.

If the spotter cannot release this for sale there must be a good reason, 50m driveway sounds quite lengthy but if there is nothing obtrusive to the cable run then it shouldnt be an issue. It may be a capacity issue that prevents your house being released for sale but hard to tell. I would maybe engage the spotter again and get a reason as to why you cant get service firstly.

I would be happy to look into this for you if you want to PM me your postcode?

Best Regards

jungleguy
11-07-2010, 09:05
if the spotter has failed it for being over 10meters then I can assume there is over 10 meters of track missing.

There is a lamppost near the chamber, that may mean they'll have to run the cable from the pit, as the network may stop there. I think that's an electric pit cover in the foreground, which won't help.

Its not clear where your boundary edge is. But the spotter could well be right here.

If you want to pay you'd be looking at about £50 per meter. I think Weesteev may have the exact answer to that one.

cheechm
08-08-2010, 01:31
The land belonging to me starts about 2m from that CATV chamber. Will be looking into it with VM now.