PDA

View Full Version : Loss of all services... beyond a joke now.

Exasperated
07-06-2010, 14:26
It's all in the name, I'm utterly exasperated with the debacle I've just gone through and found what looks to be the most appropriate place to vent.

So, I've been a VM customer for about 5 years, formerly NTL/Telewest, full package tv/phone/internet, in TW1.

The service has always been a bit patchy, at least 4 service outages a year, TV signal intermittent at times, replaced the decoder 3 or 4 times at least. This latest episode is the final straw.

On the 14th March we came home from work to find no service at all. No TV, Net or Phone. Called the 0845 number and spoke to the Welsh team, who went through the usual checks and booked an appointment for an engineer for the 21st. Told them I couldn't make it for 4pm so she said she'd put a note on the account to tell the engineer to call at 17:30.

Date came and went, called the same number (each time being on hold for aaaages) and asked what happened. The offshore call centre explained that the engineer called at 4 and no-one was home. And that notes like this may not be read by the engineer. [customer service fail #1]

So I re-booked an appointment - the earliest they could do was the following Friday 28th. Took time off work to be there. Engineer attended and said the line to the house has been cut. Took me down to the street, and explained that one of my neighbours had obviously signed up and been connected to VM, but the contractors (to avoid routing another cable) had simply cut through our connection and installed the neighbours'. [massive service fail #2] And that he could do nothing about this and would have to call in and re-arrange an appointment. I was incredulous.

I heard nothing back for another week, and so called customer services again. Got to a manager in the Welsh office again who was very apologetic, said he'd put a £20 goodwill payment on the account, and that he'd find out when it could be fixed and get someone to call me back.

That never happened [customer service fail #3], so I rang them back today, was told an engineer would be at the house on the 9th June to 're-pull' the cable connection and sort it all out. The customer service person said something unintelligible over the bad connection the put me through to someone in Construction, who had no idea why I was calling. [fail #4] I had no idea why either, so I asked to be put back through to customer services and spoke to someone else (who was quite rude) [fail #5], this time I explained the whole situation *again*, and she said she couldn't credit my account for lost service until the situation was resolved. Not apologetic in any way - I was made to feel this was my problem. I asked to be put through to 'thinking of leaving us?' and spoke to someone who simply said I'm out of my contractural obligation into a 1 month rolling arrangement, but could do no further to escalate. No dispute resolution on such a line? Isn't that odd? [fail #6]

I'm furious.

Disconnected us out of sheer laziness?
Passive customer services?
Making broken promises to call back?
Being rude on the line to me?
Saying they can't credit me for what will be 25 lost days service, assuming they manage to reconnect me on the 9th?
A 'goodwill' payment being swallowed up in a credit against lost service, prospectively?
Lost time off work, and hours spent from my mobile to an 0845 number, and making me feel like the one with the problem...

What would you do?

Thanks for putting up with the rant by the way.

---------- Post added at 13:26 ---------- Previous post was at 13:24 ----------

I'll just add - followed up on the advice to write in and complain (I had to ask if there was anything I could do)... got to VM's website...

...and the complaint form is broken!!!!!!!

What a joke.

MovedGoalPosts
07-06-2010, 15:11
Hi. That is a bit of a tale of woe :(

Cable Forum have got some contacts at senior level within Virgin Media who have proven adept at bagding heads when normal methods fail. These guys aren't front line staff so don't expect immediate treament, but once on the case they can make things happen. If you want us to get them involved can you please PM me your Customer Name and Address and a daytime contact phone number.

Digital Fanatic
07-06-2010, 15:38
Hi Exasperated,

Sorry to hear what's happened to you and that fact the Team have let you down, badly. :(

If you want to get this sorted, then I'd take Robs offer of help. :tu:

If you want to send a complaint letter, then the address is:

Complaints,
Virgin Media,
PO Box 333,
Matrix Court,
Swansea.
SA7 9ZJ

Exasperated
07-06-2010, 15:53
Thanks Rob, DF.

Have PM'ed.

I just can't believe they'd cut the cable like that to install another customer, seems very strange to me.

pip08456
07-06-2010, 15:53
Just check your PM's although Rob will be of help to you.

Exasperated
07-06-2010, 16:03
Thanks pip - I appreciate the PM.

pip08456
07-06-2010, 16:21
You are more than welcome.

MovedGoalPosts
07-06-2010, 16:31
I've got the PM and will forward these as soon as possible.

It does seem all too common that installers disconnect one cable so as to connect another. Whether that it laziness that they don't properly check what is live or simple error I dont know. But Virgin Media should really get procedures in place to deal with such issues promptly to reduce the incorrect cut offs, and if they do happen to swiftly restore services.

pip08456
07-06-2010, 16:37
Rob. you are quite correct and good to see you are assisting the OP.

This is not the first time such a problem has appeared on this forum and could possibly point to the use of contactors being used rather than their own staff.

That is something VM have to resolve themselves as it must cost them more in the long run.

Exasperated
08-06-2010, 10:01
Whoops. I meant May, not March, in the original post. Can't find a way to edit it.

MovedGoalPosts
08-06-2010, 12:10
You can only edit your posts for a short period of time. It stops people who are having a debate from trying to deny they said something.

I have forwarded your details to our contacts so hopefully they will be in touch with you soon. When you do speak be open that you made an erro in your posting about the month.

Gavin78
08-06-2010, 12:40
I had a problem about 2 years ago with my phone line for some reason it went off so called V and they booked and engineer to call out and have a look. few days later engineer turns up and checks the phone. he can see the line is dead. goes out to look at the junction box.

For some reason I dont know why I went over 5 mins after he left and hit the call button on the phone and heard him doing a test on the line and I could hear it counting down from 10 so I put the phone down.

5 mins after that he came back knocking on my door and told me the line was fine and my phone was buggered. well it was a new phone had it about 5 months and it had been working great.

He said to me tell you what because the call out is your fault not ours its £75 or whatever it was 2 years ago think it was £75 he said give me £25 I'll say the line was faulty and you go get yourself a new phone with the other £50.

I was like well I just picked the phone up 2 mins ago and I heard you doing a line test so the phone seems fine to me. He said hold on a min and went away about 2 mins after that my phone rang and he said line seems ok now I dont need to call back.

I asked for his name and he hung up. I reported the guy to virgin and they said it was hard to trace contracted people which the guy I had was because it could be any number of them that had taken jobs that day.

I wrote and complained and never heard anything.

morph178
08-06-2010, 20:37
Service techs, in house, employed by Virgin Media not contractors...

Exasperated
08-06-2010, 21:28
Rob, thanks for bringing this to Exec attention - had a voicemail and 3 missed calls from J today but was in meetings. Can't call the no. back, do you have the switchboard or a direct xtn I can reach him at?

sollp
08-06-2010, 22:02
I've got the PM and will forward these as soon as possible.

It does seem all too common that installers disconnect one cable so as to connect another. Whether that it laziness that they don't properly check what is live or simple error I dont know. But Virgin Media should really get procedures in place to deal with such issues promptly to reduce the incorrect cut offs, and if they do happen to swiftly restore services.

What sometimes happens is the CATV distribution taps are full or the E+D Sides are full with jumpers, now not all of these will be active, there is a process that either the Service Tech or Installer can ring dispatch and go through a process of taking off 1 or more CATV or Telco jumpers that are historic. As with most processes this was ignored or not briefed by the Installer/Service tech and dispatch.
So we have a situation where there are cabinets full with CATV drops or Telco jumpering, the installer most times will not have a proper test phone but will have fashioned one out of a telephone line jack unit and jumper wire to test the E+D side to be used for the install, this will often fail and also the installer/service Tech will not have the patience or time to make sure the telco E+D side is not in use. The CATV Drops on the distribution tap will be full again as long as the installation goes ahead is all that matters to them not the existing customers that has just been disconnected.
Business Telco is another good one as you don't always get a dial tone depending on the circuit in use, the fact that it has different coloured jumper wire to denote this dosen't make any difference either.

pip08456
08-06-2010, 22:56
Rob, thanks for bringing this to Exec attention - had a voicemail and 3 missed calls from J today but was in meetings. Can't call the no. back, do you have the switchboard or a direct xtn I can reach him at?

Telephone number for CEO's office sent by PM