PDA

View Full Version : Quick few questions: N router/USB/LAN

Dahisx
04-06-2010, 17:40
Heya,

Just a few quick ones hopefully!

We had broadband installed back when it was Telewest in 05. Our modem is a Webstar 2100 i believe.. and has been connected via USB since then. This wasn't much of an issue back then, but a while ago we moved to the 20mb package and i assume the fact its connected via USB is why our speed is around the ~600kb/s mark?

Also, we run 2 desktop machines with internet access, and this is done atm via a crossover cable. So as it stands, we cant switch to using an ethernet connection, as both ports are taken on both computers... bear with me :(

Anyway, it seems like Virgin should? supply us with a free N router if i phone them up? Correct me if im wrong :p Also with this router, it has LAN ports on the back also? Does that mean i can connect to the internet via those also and have a totally wired setup, allbeit with the option of adding laptops and such as wireless later on?

Am i going about this the right way or am i totally nuts?

Thanks in advance for any advice :)

General Maximus
04-06-2010, 18:32
You are totally nuts. VM won't give you a wireless N router for free, they'll charge you for it and tbh you would be better off buying your own. You don't need an N router either, only if you are on 50mbits. What VM will give you for free is a new little black modem which will be ethernet and not usb and will handle 20mbit no problem. I suggest you then buy the linksys wrt54g wireless router which will allow you to connect up to 4 wired devices (i.e your two pcs) via ethernet to the router and obviously any wireless devices.

I really do suggest you go for linksys, I started off with the wrt54g when i was on 10mbits years ago and i have got the 150N now I am 50mbits and I have never had a problem with either of them, they are great.

MovedGoalPosts
04-06-2010, 19:34
The limited speed you are seeing might be the USB, it might be a fault, it might even be that you are not actually on a 20meg service according to settings sent to your modem. Calling faults on 151 may help you diagnose if the modem is working correctly.

For the longer term your computer setup does need to be brought into the modern age. VM have depreciated support for USB connections and if you contact them the first thing they might say is to use ethernet.

As far as I know VM only supply N routers if you are upgrading your service. If you are sticking with 20meg you'll bne out of luck. However buying your own doesn't cost that much, but you should be looking at N speed wireless, even if you don't need that now, just for futureproofing.

Wired setup becomes easy with a router and avoids your needing one computer on just so the other can use the internet. Simply power everything off and unplug all the USB and ethernet leads between computers and modems. Now connect ethernet between modem and router's WAN (internet) port, and ethernet between router's LAN (local network) ports and computer(s). Most routers will have 4 wired LAN ports. Power up modem, after a few seconds router, and then the computers. You might need to remove your existing internet sharing connection setups, and the USB driver network settings.

Wireless can be enabled or disabled. It's easier to setup everything first wired and then configure wireless if you need it - disable it on the router if you don't for security.

Peter_
04-06-2010, 20:07
We have not supported a connection via USB for over 3 years now and any agent will advise you of this if you call technical support, that modem may have both USB and Ethernet ports fitted but we only support the Ethernet connection.

The other modem we supply is an Ambit 256 which only comes with a Ethernet port as standard.

As the others have said you will need to get a router and connect up via Ethernet, you can disable the wireless on most routers if required.

Dahisx
04-06-2010, 20:13
Cheers for the replys, exactly what i was looking for :)

Ill no doubt invest in a router very shortly!

Thanks again.

General Maximus
04-06-2010, 21:05
The limited speed you are seeing might be the USB, it might be a fault, it might even be that you are not actually on a 20meg service according to settings sent to your modem

Forgetting the fact that USB is poo, i think it is more than likely that his modem doesn't support 20mbit rather than there actually being a fault somewhere, hence why I suggested the call to VM for the new Ambit

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:00 ----------

We have not supported a connection via USB for over 3 years now

I dont know why it was ever supported, everyone should have been forced to use ethernet to start off with as it is the proper connection to use. The very first modem I had donkeys years ago when I started off on 512k was a Terayon TJ210 and that was ethernet, god knows why they decided to change to USB. It is like asking me absorb food through my skin instead of ingesting it :)

MovedGoalPosts
04-06-2010, 23:55
Oddly enough some computers didn't have network ports but they did have USB. Moreover USB had the ability to detect and install the drivers from a supplied disc yet if network cards are to be used there is such a variety that support troubleshooting of drivers was though to be a big headache. It wasn't just ntl / telewest (as it was back then) that liked USB, so did most of the ADSL based home broadband suppliers.

General Maximus
05-06-2010, 06:37
good point dude, now you said that I can remember that when I first started off donkeys years ago with my Gateway 2000 pc I had to buy a NIC for it and install the drivers off a floppy :) it was worth the hassel though.

Amelia
05-06-2010, 11:17
VM won't give you a wireless N router for free, they'll charge you for it and tbh you would be better off buying your own.

Not true.

Phone VM, choose " I am thinking of leaving us", tell them that you want a free router. They usually give the G one free, but sometimes charge 10 quid for the N one, just negotiate!

Peter_
05-06-2010, 11:19
Not true.

Phone VM, choose " I am thinking of leaving us", tell them that you want a free router. They usually give the G one free, but sometimes charge 10 quid for the N one, just negotiate!
I would be surprised if they gave you a router for nothing or even a £10 charge.

Amelia
05-06-2010, 11:23
I would be surprised if they gave you a router for nothing or even a £10 charge.

Loyal "premium" customer ;) I got the V+ box for free too.