PDA

View Full Version : Where do i go from here?

Telford240
03-06-2010, 20:58
I recently had a engineer come out as my upstream levels were so High as I had been getting disconnected at lot, when he come out which was last Saturday morning and checked he said they were normal showing 52 and couldnt do anything and just changed the cable, but yesterday I was getting disconnected throughout the day and all night, upstream level last night was at 60 and as I speak now is 61, hasent been bad tonight up to now but its doing my head in, I have rang Virgin 3 times and no joy and even posted on community forums that I still have a issue and asked for another engineer, anybody know what I can Do ??

Regards

Simon

speedfreak
03-06-2010, 20:59
have any of the vm support replied on the forum yet?

Telford240
03-06-2010, 21:12
have any of the vm support replied on the forum yet?

No, I know they are busy and say they have a high demand but just asked if I could have another engineer for Monday coming as it's the only time I can get off but no response since yesterday posting, I have just upload my levels again on there but dont think it will get answered any quicker, its getting mad over there as so many people posting problems

speedfreak
03-06-2010, 21:17
I havent been on in a while, you get more advice over here which is odd. I think you've took the best route though, those guys on there are good once they see your post showing upstream I'm sure they'll sort you out,. If they cant do monday they do 5-7pm if thats any good (if you didnt know)

Shame they dont reply within 4hrs anymore

pip08456
03-06-2010, 21:38
When the problems arise copy and save your modems stats so you can show the engineer the problem. If everything is OK when he arrives you can show him what happens later if you have them.

Telford240
03-06-2010, 21:43
Will do that, just frustrating as paying for a service that not getting these last two weeks have been a nightmare and even worse when in the middle of a online game on the 360, lol

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

I have noticed my modem log thats its been trying to download a software update nearly every night and keeps failing, could this be a problem

pip08456
03-06-2010, 21:55
Will do that, just frustrating as paying for a service that not getting these last two weeks have been a nightmare and even worse when in the middle of a online game on the 360, lol

---------- Post added at 21:43 ---------- Previous post was at 21:41 ----------

I have noticed my modem log thats its been trying to download a software update nearly every night and keeps failing, could this be a problem

The software update is not a problem AFAIK

Peter_
03-06-2010, 21:58
If your upstream is 61 you need a technician to adjust it so call tomorrow from 0800 and someone should book an engineer.

All updates are blocked by Virginmedia so ignore the log entries for them.

Telford240
03-06-2010, 22:13
Strange thing is Masque I havent been disconnected for the last 2 hours and my upstream just sitting on 61, longest I have been connected in the last week, I know what will happen when he comes out Monday it will show normal :-(, why would it go so hign on a night ?

pip08456
03-06-2010, 22:23
Hence my suggestion to copy and save your modem stats, you the have something to show the problem.

Telford240
03-06-2010, 22:25
Hence my suggestion to copy and save your modem stats, you the have something to show the problem.

Yeah Defo will

berkut
03-06-2010, 22:59
This has been happening to me as well over the last few weeks and I am in the Greenock area. Upstream power is getting out of sorts averaging between 56 and 58 and I get disconnected for 30mins to hours at a time. Yesterday I was offline for 6 hours.

Had an engineer out last week who could find no fault (upstream power was holding steady at 55.2). I called again on Saturday morning as internet was down most of Friday, the ready light was flashing on the modem and the guy in Liverpool I spoke to said my upstream SNR was at 20db and it needed to be higher than 28db... was expecting an engineer yesterday who never turned up, apparently I did not have one booked despite me having it confirmed twice.

I have found that disconnecting the splitter for the VBox and plugging the main cable directly into the cable modem lets me get online, this is not going to be any good as I am meant to be getting a V+ fitted on Saturday and if the upstream is going to be problematic I forsee a lot of angry phone calls ahead... :-(

It is not just me one of my neighbours is having issues with upstream power levels as well

Berkut

pip08456
03-06-2010, 23:16
Upstream power holding at 55.2 is not good enough. It is right on the top edge and should be lower IMO.

The SNR at 20dB stinks you want to be looking around the 35-40 mark. Make sure that when your V+ is fitted on Saturday the engineer doesn't leave until everythings been checked.

Have a look at the power level sticky on the start of this forum.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Print it out if need be and don't just let him check the levels on his PDA get him to bring up the modem statson your PC.

speedfreak
04-06-2010, 00:58
Upstream power holding at 55.2 is not good enough. It is right on the top edge and should be lower IMO.

The SNR at 20dB stinks you want to be looking around the 35-40 mark. Make sure that when your V+ is fitted on Saturday the engineer doesn't leave until everythings been checked.

Have a look at the power level sticky on the start of this forum.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/26006-cable-modem-signal-levels.html

Print it out if need be and don't just let him check the levels on his PDA get him to bring up the modem statson your PC.

and make sure you tell him in a friendly way if its not sorted you will be ringing straight back up for another visit, Id save that for the end though if you arent happy with what hes done

Peter_
04-06-2010, 06:29
Strange thing is Masque I havent been disconnected for the last 2 hours and my upstream just sitting on 61, longest I have been connected in the last week, I know what will happen when he comes out Monday it will show normal :-(, why would it go so hign on a night ?
Do not cancel the booking and get it checked out, if it is going up and down it may be a network issue.

Telford240
04-06-2010, 09:22
Cant get a booking Masque, cant get answers off anybody and I have been asking for a Monday appointment for the last 2 days to give them enough time to sort it, its Friday now and prob going to be too late for them to book it for Monday, I think I might request a new modem incase its that playing up