PDA

View Full Version : New install old modem.

browney
02-06-2010, 20:24
Hi,

I've recently changed properties and today I phoned VM to get broadband installed which the gave a date of the 8th.

However when I moved in their was a 256 modem left behind. I've just plugged it in and it's synced and says ready. When I try and go to a website I'm taken to the "Broadband Activation" page asking me to phone VM up.

will VM be able to use this old modem before my instillation date or will I have to wait?

Peter_
02-06-2010, 20:26
Hi,

I've recently changed properties and today I phoned VM to get broadband installed which the gave a date of the 8th.

However when I moved in their was a 256 modem left behind. I've just plugged it in and it's synced and says ready. When I try and go to a website I'm taken to the "Broadband Activation" page asking me to phone VM up.

will VM be able to use this old modem before my instillation date or will I have to wait?
It will not work as it is not provisioned on your account but it will make a nice paperweight.;)

We will also never activate that modem so either bin it or do as above.;)

browney
02-06-2010, 20:34
It will not work as it is not provisioned on your account but it will make a nice paperweight.;)

We will also never activate that modem so either bin it or do as above.;)

Ah ok thanks. Bin it is.

That was quick and easy.

v0id
02-06-2010, 21:10

Surely the installations tech will take it away with them

Peter_
02-06-2010, 21:34
Surely the installations tech will take it away with them
If he is getting a manned install then yes, but if it is a Quickstart self install then no, it is of no consequence as it will not actually go online due to it being in the walled garden and not being provisioned.

KenK
02-06-2010, 21:57
We will also never activate that modem so either bin it ...;)What a waste. What about the WEEE regulations? http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/business/topics/waste/32084.aspx

BenMcr
02-06-2010, 21:59
Modems are supposed to be returned when a customer leaves Virgin. There are plans to start charging anyone who doesn't do so.

Scrubbs
02-06-2010, 22:07
I have just got a new modem(thank you, I think it was lionel? from Wales) and was told with the paperwork to "recycle " my old one at the nearest electrical recycling centre.

BenMcr
02-06-2010, 22:13
If you are sent a new modem to replace an obselete modem then yes you will be asked to recycle it.

This is compliant with the WEEE regulations as Virgin will contribute to the appropriate scheme

And yes sometimes if you've got a REALLY old modem you will be told to recycle it when you leave, but for most people they will have to send it back

Same applies for STBs. All Samsungs, V+ boxes have to returned along with some of the others

Peter_
02-06-2010, 22:16
Modems are supposed to be returned when a customer leaves Virgin. There are plans to start charging anyone who doesn't do so.
I thought we were going to send out return boxes for up to date kit prior to account closures, any news on that Ben.:)

BenMcr
02-06-2010, 22:30
Yes that is supposed to be already happening ;)

Peter_
02-06-2010, 22:37
Yes that is supposed to be already happening ;)
The sooner it is done by Customer Services then the better as I presume it is them that should be sending the packaging out.

BenMcr
02-06-2010, 22:40
Actually it will either be Customer Relations or Movers as they are the ones that book on the disconnection orders.

Normal Customer Services only do it if someone else forgets ;)

Peter_
02-06-2010, 22:41
Actually it will either be Customer Relations or Movers as they are the ones that book on the disconnection orders.

Normal Customer Services only do it if someone else forgets ;)
Thanks Ben;)

IKWeb
03-06-2010, 09:36
haha return of old kit... Hmmm my days of working for NTL we use to book the pickups via kellys but 9 times out of 10 the kit never go collected then we use to field calls from ex customers going off on one saying they spent all day waiting in...

Collection of old kit is a joke... Has it got any better... !?!

BenMcr
03-06-2010, 10:12
Yes - as all kit is returned by pre-paid post boxes unless new kit is being installed at which time the tech should collect any old stuff (or short notice move when Virgin will still send someone)

browney
03-06-2010, 13:30
If he is getting a manned install then yes, but if it is a Quickstart self install then no, it is of no consequence as it will not actually go online due to it being in the walled garden and not being provisioned.

Manned install. I did ask for quick start but the guy said because the house hasn't had any service installed for awhile a manned install would be better.

Actually I need to phone up to find out what time the engineer is coming out.