PDA

View Full Version : NewsGroup

majestic100
02-06-2010, 20:03
I've been using Newsbin Pro as a newsgroup reader. I've been successfully accessing Virgins news group server - news.virginmedia.com - until very recently, when I could no longer download any content from any newsgroup selected.

Headers are downloaded successfully but when I try to download content the status received is ............

[20:00:25] PROTOCOL=Download Engine, SERVER=Virgin, MSG=DL_DI - Failed to retrieve Article from Server Virgin
[20:00:25] SERVER=Virgin, MSG=SendCommand - Post Retrieval Error: 430 No Such Article

Any reason why this should happen alll of a sudden ??

joglynne
02-06-2010, 20:56
Could it be due to the same issue as is being discussed on the following thread?

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/25/33642637-update-newzbin-successfully-sued-by-mpa.html

Which to-day provides this link.

http://www.newzbin.com/

Gary L
02-06-2010, 21:03
I've been using Newsbin Pro as a newsgroup reader. I've been successfully accessing Virgins news group server - news.virginmedia.com - until very recently, when I could no longer download any content from any newsgroup selected.

I've read reports that people are getting old headers coming through and no content.

broadbandking
02-06-2010, 22:59
Use grabit thats a excellent program

zing_deleted
02-06-2010, 23:07
altbinz

Horace
03-06-2010, 06:47
Just did a test and the servers seem very broken at the moment, either articles are missing - even very recent ones or content is corrupt failing at the uudecode stage. Headers are available for articles going back much further than VM's retention handles.

Kymmy
03-06-2010, 09:06
Use grabit thats a excellent program

altbinz

What has other programs got to do with a usenet server problem ;)

In newsbin I'd set your OPTIONS >> SETUP >> STORAGE AGE so that you don't get these older header only posts to match your server retention

(also settable in the server options)

zing_deleted
03-06-2010, 10:54
I was answering in response to Grabit which is crap ;) ;) ;) ;)

Kymmy
03-06-2010, 10:56
LOL, Always used Newsbin myself, have done for 10 years now.. Just never seen the need to try anythign else :D

zing_deleted
03-06-2010, 11:01
ditto

majestic100
03-06-2010, 12:22
Thanks for replies. Some give room for thought.

Felim_Doyle
13-06-2010, 12:26
I normally use my Outlook Express e-mail client as my News reader (which will probably make me an outcast here :rolleyes:) but mostly because I have had little reason to use News Groups for much of the past ten years being more inclined now to use forums and websites or, to some degree, Yahoo! Groups.

However,the News Groups that I do need to use from time to time are the Virgin Media support ones. Using OE for this over my VM broadband connection is fine when I'm at home but when I'm travelling and having to use others' computers or public access to the internet, this becomes a problem. VM provide web access to my e-mail accounts but not, AFAIK, to their News Groups. Even read access, to research problems or monitor responses from CS or other posters would be very useful.

Does anyone know of a way to access the VM News Groups without using installed news reader software and when not connected directly to the VM network? For e-mail I just log in to the virginmedia.com website but I'm not aware of any access to News Groups from there.

Ignitionnet
13-06-2010, 13:08
You are in the minority, someone who actually reads Usenet instead of downloading from it.

The VM support newsgroups have been retired and replaced by a web forum. http://community.virginmedia.com

Felim_Doyle
15-06-2010, 15:27
Thanks. I did a bit more research and came to that conclusion. The odd thing was that I was able to post to virginmedia.support.broadband.cable but the post never appeared. Then I realised that there were no new posts since about March and the penny began to drop.