PDA

View Full Version : Refurbing flat, want to hide wires

bezza123
29-05-2010, 13:58
Hi

Ive just brought a ground floor maisonette flat, the place was a dump so we've totally gutted it and my dad and bro are electricians so they've rewired the whole place for me.

Ive got VM install booked for 26th June (cable and broadband), by then I hope to have the living room decorated and we want to preinstall all the wires so there underneath the carpet or floorboards.

There is a box on the inside wall which looks like the VM box will they use this to enter the house? Also what wires do I need to install for Cable and or HD+ box? Ive tried asking VM without much look so hoping you guys could help in some way?

If theres and more info you need to help me out just ask.

Thanks
Wayne

Hom3r
29-05-2010, 14:05
Get hollow skirting board, it easily removable and can hid all the wires.

Matty_
29-05-2010, 18:32
If Hom3r`s suggestion is not feasible, then you could do something similar to what we have in our house.

Basically for the broadband you need to know where the modem is going to be situated (this is your starting point). This will normally be where they enter the building next to/behind the tv. Know you need to think about where your going to situate your router (if your having one) or computer.
You will need a cable from the modem to the router/computer, you can build these up yourself using Cat 5e/6 with an RJ45 connector on one end and install wall plates if you wish. An easier option IMO is to buy the cable ready made up and have it a bit longer than required. Then you just plug it in at each point.

Amazon do a 20M (other lengths available) one which i used to go from the modem in the lounge to the router which is upstairs. http://www.amazon.co.uk/Cat5e-RJ45-Ethernet-Network-Cable/dp/B000IAJHQ0/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275152617&sr=1-8 I also used a 10M one to go from the router to my room where the XBox is.
These are ran under the floorboards and just pop up where the device that requires a connection is. The hole size for drilling through joists is ~20mm.

This is one of the things you need to answer. If you do have a router positioned somewhere you will need to go from the router to each piece of equipment that needs it e.g. Computer station, Game Console (only if you want it hard-wired of course).

As for the tv, we have a pretty outdated system whereby the situation is similar to above. We have an Aerial distribution amplifier/splitter which is positioned behind the tv. The feed comed from the box into that and then there are co-ax cables going from the splitter to the various rooms in the house. Most of these are terminated using co-ax single outlets like this one http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aerial-Wall-Plates-Single-Coaxial/dp/B003EDQ69Y/ref=sr_1_15?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275153703&sr=1-15.

There is probably a better way to do the tv (hopefully someone will explain) but it works fine for us ;)

Just be sure if your running cables under floorboards to not put them to close to the Twin and Earth (electric cables) or hot water pipes

Hom3r
29-05-2010, 19:02
In my house the VM cable enters the house via two points,

1. downstairs to the V+,

2. Outside the house to the loft were the cable is split three ways, two bedrooms to V boxes, and a 3rd bedroom to the cable modem

LondonRoad
29-05-2010, 19:25
You decide where you want it to go. Get Dad and Bro to install some hidden plastic conduit or appropriate size ducting ;)and leave a draw wire in. I'm sure the VM engineers will be happy with that.

calmpitbull
02-06-2010, 21:10
Hi

Ive just brought a ground floor maisonette flat, the place was a dump so we've totally gutted it and my dad and bro are electricians so they've rewired the whole place for me.

Ive got VM install booked for 26th June (cable and broadband), by then I hope to have the living room decorated and we want to preinstall all the wires so there underneath the carpet or floorboards.

There is a box on the inside wall which looks like the VM box will they use this to enter the house? Also what wires do I need to install for Cable and or HD+ box? Ive tried asking VM without much look so hoping you guys could help in some way?

If theres and more info you need to help me out just ask.

Thanks
Wayne

If you can see the brown or grey box outside, that is a better point to run your cables from if possible. Just run a good quality RG6 cable (must be top quality) from the box outside to where you want the service to go (one for each service). Leave plenty of slack at each end and the installers will do the rest. You might want to install a phone cable as well from the box outside to a potential phone location, even if you are not getting a phone installed now, its always handy to have a cable in while you are doing the re-furb.