PDA

View Full Version : Painfully slow connection

zid
24-05-2010, 13:07
I have been getting awful throughput on my line for the past few days, I removed the router and rebooted the modem several times to no avail.

Current speedtest is this:

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/14.png

Modem stats:

Downstream Lock : Locked
Downstream Frequency : 586750000 Hz
Downstream Modulation : QAM64
Downstream Interleave Depth : taps12increment17
Downstream Receive Power Level : -12.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 24.7 dB

Upstream Channel ID : 3
Upstream Transmit Power Level : 57.0 dBmV
Upstream Symbol Rate : 2560 Ksym/sec
Upstream Frequency : 34000000 Hz
Upstream Mini-Slot Size : 2

It's an old silver ambit modem.

I am located just outside of peterborough. Package speed is 10Mbit, which I am normally able to achieve (when not throttled...)

---------- Post added at 13:07 ---------- Previous post was at 12:48 ----------

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/robin.d.h.walker/cmtips/signal.html seems to suggest -12dBmV isn't good! Call 151?

Ignitionnet
24-05-2010, 13:08
Yes - call tech support you need an engineer out.

Make sure that the connectors are all done up nice and tightly too.

zid
24-05-2010, 13:47
Okay, improved somewhat. A nice indian man read through his little script and remotely reset the modem, instant jump to 4mbps, and told me to check again in 2 hours.

pip08456
24-05-2010, 15:09
I would've thought he would've offered to replace the modem as well.

Ignitionnet
24-05-2010, 16:34
Okay, improved somewhat. A nice indian man read through his little script and remotely reset the modem, instant jump to 4mbps, and told me to check again in 2 hours.

Yes, well, he should have sent you an engineer immediately. Evidently his script didn't contain 'Note the big red flashing bit on the cable modem's stats'.

At very least you need a new modem.

Peter_
24-05-2010, 20:37
Oh dear you really need a modem and probably an engineer to check everything is ok, your power levels are way out and he should not be telling you to wait 4 hours causing an unwanted call back into the centres.:erm::mad:

Call tomorrow just after 0800 and you should get a UK agent who will see the issue and book an engineer, if they just try to send a replacement modem tell them you are a technophobe and would like an engineer.;)

zid
24-05-2010, 21:40
Yes, well, he should have sent you an engineer immediately. Evidently his script didn't contain 'Note the big red flashing bit on the cable modem's stats'.

At very least you need a new modem.

I was told by two people that -12 is 'fine' and that his end showed nothing wrong, but that my SNR was in the 30s from his end, not 22s like it is from my end, and mumbled 'lag' a few times.

Just redid a speed test, 9.78mbps, -10.3dBmV, 26.8 SNR.

Oh dear you really need a modem and probably an engineer to check everything is ok, your power levels are way out and he should not be telling you to wait 4 hours causing an unwanted call back into the centres.:erm::mad:

Call tomorrow just after 0800 and you should get a UK agent who will see the issue and book an engineer, if they just try to send a replacement modem tell them you are a technophobe and would like an engineer.;)

What's the engineer for if I just need a new modem?

Peter_
24-05-2010, 21:52
I was told by two people that -12 is 'fine' and that his end showed nothing wrong, but that my SNR was in the 30s from his end, not 22s like it is from my end, and mumbled 'lag' a few times.

Just redid a speed test, 9.78mbps, -10.3dBmV, 26.8 SNR.

What's the engineer for if I just need a new modem?
Because your power levels are out including your SNR which is also way to low.

If I spoke to you and saw a Downstream with -12 and that SNR, then I would book you an engineer as a simple modem swap probably would not be enough to resolve your issue.

zid
24-05-2010, 22:36
Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 26.4 dB

Out of interest, what causes it to fluctuate?

Peter_
25-05-2010, 06:43
Downstream Receive Power Level : -9.9 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 26.4 dB
Out of interest, what causes it to fluctuate?
It could be the old modem, the cable to the property or even an issue in the cabinet that is why I would book an engineer as he can determine if the is an issue that needs further investigation.

Ignitionnet
25-05-2010, 15:55

More likely he was looking at upstream SNR and doesn't know the difference.

At 26.8dB SNR your connection is just about ok, either way this isn't any good and you'll have an intermittent service until it's fixed.

There's no way of saying for sure all you need is a new modem, which is why an engineer is required. It could be the modem is hosed and is causing the dodgy power readings but it needs proper inspection.

Peter_
25-05-2010, 17:00
If his silver modem is an Ambit 100 or 120 then it is probably on its way out anyway.