PDA

View Full Version : Frequent Disconnects

caph
23-05-2010, 16:05
I've posted on the Virgin Support forum but I thought it worth asking here too.

Are there any general problems around the Nottingham area which would cause frequent disconnects? I see there is (was?) a problem with Leicester and Derby, could that be affecting Nottingham too?

Problems started about a week ago maybe a bit more. Power levels are good at my end so it looks like something upstream from me. The disconnect is ususally logged as a "Critical (3) Unicast Ranging Received Abort Response - Re- initializing MAC" event in the log if that means anthing to anyone. There are others even in my immediate postcode area with frequent disconnect posts on the Virgin forum so I thought I'd check here to see if there is anything major going on before I potentially waste time on an engineer visit.

Chrysalis
24-05-2010, 08:05
Leicester isnt a confirmed problem, there is as you said a 'lot' of complaints from leicester at the moment but none got confirmed by VM staff, derby was a confirmed problem tho.

There is a guy on here from nottingham who recently posted saying his 50mbit was down so could well be a major fault occuring, but I am not VM, so what I am saying is theory.

caph
24-05-2010, 13:22
It's curious that the Derby issue was confirmed as fixed at 19:26 (presumably it was actually fixed some time prior to the post) and I personally have had no more disconnections since yesterday lunchtime.

Looks like things are back up and running. I wish the status page was a bit more honest though. I knew I'd be better off waiting this one out due to my power levels being OK but others probably wouldn't know and I'd hate to guess at how many pointless engineer visits there have been over the past few days.

caph
24-05-2010, 19:55
Spoke too soon. The disconnects started again this evening after over 24 hours of stability.

My post on the Virgin Support forum has now gone unanswered for over 24 hours. Does the 4 hour response time no longer apply now they've switched to web from newsgroup?

Peter_
24-05-2010, 20:15
Click the link and login using the word root as username and password if required

http://192.168.100.1/

What you post should look similar to this below.

Downstream Receive Power Level : -3.1 dBmV
Downstream SNR : 37.8 dB

Upstream transmit Power Level : 48.5 dBmV

caph
26-05-2010, 18:22
Thanks for the reply Moldova but my power levels are fine and have been throughout. VM just had really bad problems last week in my area.

Apart from that last drop I had, my connection has been rock steady ever since. It's a bit annoying that we don't get informed when these problems occur though.

It's a good job that I didn't need help after all. My VM support query has now gone over three days without a reply. Support has taken a real knock since the death of the newsgroups. It seems we're now caught between the Indian call centre and being ignored on the support forum. Rock and a hard place.

Peter_
26-05-2010, 18:28
The is a UK call centre in Liverpool and you should get a UK agent in the mornings from 0800.