PDA

View Full Version : VM 50 MB Broadband

jambolino
22-05-2010, 18:58
Hi.

I have just signed up to have the VM 50Mb Broadband (upgrade from 10MB).
VM have said I will need a new cable modem for the increased speed, this I can understand, I am also told that I will need a new wireless router which they will also supply as part of the package, I'm confused, my existing router has always worked well with my cable modem, is there something 'special' about the VM router that they supply. VM say I will need both (modem and VM supplied router) for the 50Mb service.

Thanks

Peter_
22-05-2010, 20:15
Your old modem is not Docsis 3 capable so the is no way that it can be used for 50Mb.

You will receive an N router and a USB N adaptor as part of your package free of charge, you can still use your old router if prefered but it will not be supported by Virginmedia.

Stephen
23-05-2010, 08:46
Your existing router will probably be wireless G an will not be able to give you the 50MB speeds over wireless. That is why they give you a new wireless N router.

swoop101
23-05-2010, 09:17
My new router does give improved d/l speeds on hard wired and wireless connections.
I get an extra 450kB/s on hardwired and on wireless I get a full 20meg which I am very happy about.
Also it is free so no complaints here.

Sephiroth
23-05-2010, 12:19
Hi.

I have just signed up to have the VM 50Mb Broadband (upgrade from 10MB).
VM have said I will need a new cable modem for the increased speed, this I can understand, I am also told that I will need a new wireless router which they will also supply as part of the package, I'm confused, my existing router has always worked well with my cable modem, is there something 'special' about the VM router that they supply. VM say I will need both (modem and VM supplied router) for the 50Mb service.

Thanks
You're getting the right answers from everybody. It comes down to what router you currently have and whether it is wireless N grade.

If you don't need wireless, don't worry. Just plug te CM into the old router and power cycle the modem.

This support question is neither here nor there. Whether it's a VM supplied router or not, they'll still ask you to disconnect it and plug yopur PC directly into the modem for troubleshooting. And if your modem stats show anything dodgy, it'll have nothing to do with the router anyway.