PDA

View Full Version : Getting rather hacked off with VMs construction dept.

arrison
17-05-2010, 21:14
Not sure if this is in the correct section, but since it sort of concerns an installation, thought Id put it in here. Anyway, here goes.

Been a VM customer for about 10 years now, from the old Telewest days (I live in Sheffield). Have always had the full package with them (TV, Landline and Broadband).

Approx 6 weeks ago, I had a call from my mum on my mobile asking if I knew that our landline was off. Picked up the phone, and, sure enough, no dial tone. Called customer services, got an engineer out, he explained that the new tarmac the council had laid on the pavements on our street had damaged the cable, and he'd changed us over to the spare pair. So far, so good.

Couple of days later, picked up the phone to make a call and was greeted with a mass of static and noise. Called customer services again, had another engineer out, who again told me the tarmac had damaged the cable, and it would need replacing. He made an appointment for someone to come and do it on the 5th May. Here's where the fun starts.

(the following is taken from notes made by myself during various telephone conversations with VM staff).

WED 5TH MAY
Took a day off work, was told the engineer would be here between 1pm and 6pm.Sat around waiting for him to come, 6 pm arrived, the engineer didn't. No phone call, even though they had my mobile number as they called me on it the night before to confirm Id be in for their visit, no test, nothing at all. Called customer services, after being passed between 3 departments, and left on hold for almost 30 minutes, told it was down to a 'construction issue' due to having to get permission to dig the road up. The engineer who came previously told me that wouldn't have to be done, as there's an access point at the top of the drive. I Wasn't informed of any of this during the day while I waited in for the non-existent engineer, and the customer service dpt said they couldn't currently contact the install dept as their phones were down. Was promised a follow up call the day after by the service rep.

THURS 6TH MAY
Follow up phone call day after, still no more info as to why job wasn't done, why job was booked if pavement needed digging up, or why I wasn't informed of any of this before I took a day off to wait for a non existent installation. Promised a phone call with a full explanation tomorrow from a manager.

FRI 7TH MAY
Promised phone call never materialised.
Phoned customer services, was informed that call from manager could take up to 72 hours, even though I was previously informed it would be the following day.

SUN 9TH MAY
Thursday-Sunday=72 hours. Still no call.

MON 10TH MAY
Monday-still no call. Called myself, told someone would visit tomorrow to see what work needs to be done. When I explained that I couldnt take a day off work to wait for them at such short notice, was asked for a mobile number so they could phone and make sure I would be in. When I asked if this meant I would have to take another day off to wait for someone to come and look at the job, and yet another one after that to get the work done, was told yes. Then when I asked the floor manager I was speaking to to confirm exactly what was happening with all this, they hung up the phone.
Called back, finally got put through to construction team, was informed that someone will be around ASAP to evaluate the job, and I don't have to be here for that, contrary to information from previous manager, and Ill get a call from them as soon as they know any more about it.

MON 17TH MAY
Waited 7 days for a call to explain what's going on and when the repair will be done.
Upon phoning them yet again, given more contradictory information. Now told that 'ASAP' actually means 'Up to 6 weeks'.

So that's now 6 weeks without a landline, and possibly another 6 weeks until they even come to evaluate the job, never mind do anything about it. Its honestly starting to get beyond a joke now, every department I speak to gives conflicting information to the last one, I've taken 3 days off work, and spent god knows how much money in mobile phone calls to customer services, not to mention the fact I'm still paying line rental for a service I cant actually use. So, if anyone can shed any light on this, and how long it could take to finally get this sorted out, Id be most grateful.

EDIT-also just discovered Virgins own forum thanks to this site, so have also posted this there.

Digital Fanatic
18-05-2010, 10:26
Not sure if this is in the correct section, but since it sort of concerns an installation, thought Id put it in here. Anyway, here goes.

Been a VM customer for about 10 years now, from the old Telewest days (I live in Sheffield). Have always had the full package with them (TV, Landline and Broadband).

Approx 6 weeks ago, I had a call from my mum on my mobile asking if I knew that our landline was off. Picked up the phone, and, sure enough, no dial tone. Called customer services, got an engineer out, he explained that the new tarmac the council had laid on the pavements on our street had damaged the cable, and he'd changed us over to the spare pair. So far, so good.

Couple of days later, picked up the phone to make a call and was greeted with a mass of static and noise. Called customer services again, had another engineer out, who again told me the tarmac had damaged the cable, and it would need replacing. He made an appointment for someone to come and do it on the 5th May. Here's where the fun starts.

(the following is taken from notes made by myself during various telephone conversations with VM staff).

WED 5TH MAY
Took a day off work, was told the engineer would be here between 1pm and 6pm.Sat around waiting for him to come, 6 pm arrived, the engineer didn't. No phone call, even though they had my mobile number as they called me on it the night before to confirm Id be in for their visit, no test, nothing at all. Called customer services, after being passed between 3 departments, and left on hold for almost 30 minutes, told it was down to a 'construction issue' due to having to get permission to dig the road up. The engineer who came previously told me that wouldn't have to be done, as there's an access point at the top of the drive. I Wasn't informed of any of this during the day while I waited in for the non-existent engineer, and the customer service dpt said they couldn't currently contact the install dept as their phones were down. Was promised a follow up call the day after by the service rep.

THURS 6TH MAY
Follow up phone call day after, still no more info as to why job wasn't done, why job was booked if pavement needed digging up, or why I wasn't informed of any of this before I took a day off to wait for a non existent installation. Promised a phone call with a full explanation tomorrow from a manager.

FRI 7TH MAY
Promised phone call never materialised.
Phoned customer services, was informed that call from manager could take up to 72 hours, even though I was previously informed it would be the following day.

SUN 9TH MAY
Thursday-Sunday=72 hours. Still no call.

MON 10TH MAY
Monday-still no call. Called myself, told someone would visit tomorrow to see what work needs to be done. When I explained that I couldnt take a day off work to wait for them at such short notice, was asked for a mobile number so they could phone and make sure I would be in. When I asked if this meant I would have to take another day off to wait for someone to come and look at the job, and yet another one after that to get the work done, was told yes. Then when I asked the floor manager I was speaking to to confirm exactly what was happening with all this, they hung up the phone.
Called back, finally got put through to construction team, was informed that someone will be around ASAP to evaluate the job, and I don't have to be here for that, contrary to information from previous manager, and Ill get a call from them as soon as they know any more about it.

MON 17TH MAY
Waited 7 days for a call to explain what's going on and when the repair will be done.
Upon phoning them yet again, given more contradictory information. Now told that 'ASAP' actually means 'Up to 6 weeks'.

So that's now 6 weeks without a landline, and possibly another 6 weeks until they even come to evaluate the job, never mind do anything about it. Its honestly starting to get beyond a joke now, every department I speak to gives conflicting information to the last one, I've taken 3 days off work, and spent god knows how much money in mobile phone calls to customer services, not to mention the fact I'm still paying line rental for a service I cant actually use. So, if anyone can shed any light on this, and how long it could take to finally get this sorted out, Id be most grateful.

EDIT-also just discovered Virgins own forum thanks to this site, so have also posted this there.

This needs chasing up by 2nd line on the VM forums... they can get more information for you.... VM will refund your line rental for the time you have no 'phone also.

Update us here when you get a responce from the VM forum.

arrison
19-05-2010, 23:44
Just had the following reply on VMs support forum

Hello arrison,

Thanks for the info I have found your account.

A ticket has been raised today for this issue but the construction team are unable to give an estimate of when it will be sorted at this stage.

I've been advised the tracker system should be able to provide more info on Friday, although I'm off Friday then back in Saturday, so I won't be able to chase it again until then.

Sorry for the delay but I'll keep you informed as I hear more.

Rob Ward
Help and Support Forum Team

Its been 6 weeks already, suppose another 2 days cant hurt.

Digital Fanatic
20-05-2010, 10:02
Just had the following reply on VMs support forum

Its been 6 weeks already, suppose another 2 days cant hurt.

Rob is a good man... hope you get it sorted soon.

arrison
06-06-2010, 14:05
Quick update:

Still no working phone line here, been told at first they had to get permission from Sheffield Council to dig the pavement up to get to the cables, and then after that that theyd got permission but had applied for the 'wrong kind of permission' (whatever that means) and are now having to re-apply. Been promised call-backs with updates 3 times now that havent happened. All in all, getting seriously annoyed now with being fobbed off and lied to by VM.

Digital Fanatic
07-06-2010, 15:46
Quick update:

Still no working phone line here, been told at first they had to get permission from Sheffield Council to dig the pavement up to get to the cables, and then after that that theyd got permission but had applied for the 'wrong kind of permission' (whatever that means) and are now having to re-apply. Been promised call-backs with updates 3 times now that havent happened. All in all, getting seriously annoyed now with being fobbed off and lied to by VM.

Sorry to hear that... are you keeping in touch with 2nd line on the VM forum? Let them do the chasing for you, it's what they are there for. :)

weesteev
08-06-2010, 17:36
For any works in the public footpath, notice has to be give to the local authority, and depending upon the severity of the works then the average notice period is 3-7 days.

Hope you get this issue resolved soon, it doesn't sound like its been a great experience so far. Let me know if I can help at all.

arrison
10-06-2010, 17:34
All fixed now. Sent all the details of the saga so far in an email to the manager of the dept dealing with the problem, and CCd to the CEOs office. Hey presto, fixed within 48 hours of sending the email.