PDA

View Full Version : Traffic managed? WHY? New policy?

photodude
14-05-2010, 21:08
OK I fully understand the traffic management system, what it does, and why it does it (well I thought I did). BUT there seems to be a new policy in place now, that effects EVERYBODY within a fixed area. So say your neighbours are downloading like it's going out of fashion, they trigger a heavy load, that then means everybody in the area is traffic managed for 5 hours????? WTF?
Never been traffic managed before, and I ain't getting it cos some other pratt is dragging the network down.

I've been told this twice tonight, by two different CS people. So I phoned up the second time, so I could record what was being said to me, as I couldn't believe my ears:mad:

PC was on for about 2 hours this morning, and used for a bit of basic browsing etc. Then on again just after 4PM for same thing (just browsing a few forums etc). My lad downloaded a game file of 498mb (PS3) at 5PM, and about 20 mins later, I was traffic managed:td: Checked what my lad had been doing and downloading etc, and he was telling the truth. So there is no way I've gone above 1500MB in just over an hour.
CS told me that it is not just me downloading that can trigger traffic management, but also anybody in my area. They both claimed that if someone in the same area as me, was downloading a lot, the whole area is traffic managed. And I asked them to double check this policy, and they confirmed it to be the case.
Needless to say, I will be contacting disconnections Monday morning, as that has to be the most ridiculous policy EVER. And if they deny it happens, or claim it was never said, I've got the whole thing recored.:td:

martyh
14-05-2010, 21:15
i would suggest that the CS rep is in error ,seriously in error ,no way are you being managed because of a neighbours downloading habits

brundles
14-05-2010, 21:20
I'd agree with martyh. The current policy is on VMs website here (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html).

Are you being traffic managed or is the area just overloaded at peak times?

photodude
14-05-2010, 21:27
Yeah, I thought exactly the same. I just assumed an area fault or something, then assumed first person just got it wrong. So after hanging up, I phoned back to double check and record what was said. The exact same policy was quoted to me on both occasions, so I'm now wondering if this really is the case?
If it turns out it is, VM can stick their BB. There really is no way on this earth I went over 1500MB, but CS say the whole area has been traffic managed?????

Andrewcrawford23
14-05-2010, 22:15
Yeah, I thought exactly the same. I just assumed an area fault or something, then assumed first person just got it wrong. So after hanging up, I phoned back to double check and record what was said. The exact same policy was quoted to me on both occasions, so I'm now wondering if this really is the case?
If it turns out it is, VM can stick their BB. There really is no way on this earth I went over 1500MB, but CS say the whole area has been traffic managed?????
they wouldnt manage a area jsut for one downloader if anything they restrict there services more i think the cs agent is dilussion phone techincally support ask them to scn you modem and read the docsis file and compare that agains toyur service and thne they can advised you as far as i know cs dnt have access to the mode scannign tool

Peter_
14-05-2010, 22:52
OK I fully understand the traffic management system, what it does, and why it does it (well I thought I did). BUT there seems to be a new policy in place now, that effects EVERYBODY within a fixed area. So say your neighbours are downloading like it's going out of fashion, they trigger a heavy load, that then means everybody in the area is traffic managed for 5 hours????? WTF?
Never been traffic managed before, and I ain't getting it cos some other pratt is dragging the network down.

I've been told this twice tonight, by two different CS people. So I phoned up the second time, so I could record what was being said to me, as I couldn't believe my ears:mad:

PC was on for about 2 hours this morning, and used for a bit of basic browsing etc. Then on again just after 4PM for same thing (just browsing a few forums etc). My lad downloaded a game file of 498mb (PS3) at 5PM, and about 20 mins later, I was traffic managed:td: Checked what my lad had been doing and downloading etc, and he was telling the truth. So there is no way I've gone above 1500MB in just over an hour.
CS told me that it is not just me downloading that can trigger traffic management, but also anybody in my area. They both claimed that if someone in the same area as me, was downloading a lot, the whole area is traffic managed. And I asked them to double check this policy, and they confirmed it to be the case.
Needless to say, I will be contacting disconnections Monday morning, as that has to be the most ridiculous policy EVER. And if they deny it happens, or claim it was never said, I've got the whole thing recored.:td:

Whoever told you that was talking absolute 100% rubbish as no one is traffic managed because their neighbour happens to be downloading, if this was in the slightest bit true we would lose customers hand over fist and rightly so.

I think you may have been given incorrect information by our offshore agents as I rather doubt that any UK agent would be so damn stupid.

If you click the link I have provided HERE (http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html) this only relates to individual accounts and not mass traffic management, you will see that this was last updated 12th May 2009.

I am glad that you have it recorded as the is nothing to deny as it will show that you were blatantly lied to just to get you off the line, we are in tomorrow from 0800 so call in and one of my colleagues will then be able to feedback against those agents for lying.

broadbandking
15-05-2010, 09:02
Next time this happens record your upload speed and we can see if this is STM.

photodude
15-05-2010, 09:23
Thanks for that Masque.
I did expect this to be wrong info etc to be honest. But after ringing back, getting a different CS staff member (yes both from India I assume), and being told the same policy exists by 2 different people, ya kind of have to wonder if it is true. The first call (a guy) even argued with me about it, and gave reasons for the "area" traffic management policy???????
Second call insisted it was not about exceeding the limit of 1500MB on the account, but about how much traffic there was in the area, and that area then being TM'd LOL.
Just a thought..... Is it possible to be TM'd if you are a victim of a cloned modem? That's the only explanation I can think of, as to why my account triggered the TM system.

If it wasn't unfair (and probably illegal) for me to do so, I'd stick the recording on youtube, and let everybody hear the call.
However, I can give you a transcript of the conversation:
After asking if my services have been capt, I was asked for account details etc, and this is the conversation after that point.

CS "OK yes, your services have been capt, and it will take another 5 hours to get it back to normal speed"

me "Right, well there has only been one 500Mb download on this account. So why should it be capt because of that?

CS "The fact is it's very high peak hours that you tried to download. It's not only you, but it's anyone in your area downloading, there services are capt. And it's effected to all the customers in that particular area. So for 5 hours you will not be able to get connection or speeds.

me "Sorry but you are expecting me to loose my connection, because somebody in the near by area is downloading?"

CS "Well it's not exactly loosing the connection, but the speed will be low."

Me "Yes, but why on earth should my connection be slowed down, because somebody else in the local area is downloading?"

CS goes on to lecture me about downloading at peak times etc.

Me "Yes but there is a limit of 1500Mb that has to be exceeded, for a cap to be placed on my account?"

CS "Yes but if people download between the hours of 4-9, services will be capt"

Me "But they should only cap once you have exceeded the limit on your account!"

CS "OK It's nothing about exceeding the limit. It's only about local high utilisation in peak hours, that the services are capt, whether or not you have exceeded the limit"

Me "Well that is not what virginmedia's website states (I read the TM policy from VM site). It says nothing about people downloading in the local area."
CS "OK, normally the policy is customers downloading a certain amount of data, will be traffic managed"

Me "Yes I understand that, but I haven't gone over the limit for traffic management."

CS "Sorry you will have to wait 5 hours for your speed to come back."

Me "So you can't tell me why my account has been capt, other than it's someone downloading in my local area?"

CS "OK let me check that, and see if it is high utilisation in the local area. Just give me 2 min"

On hold for about 3 mins

CS "Sorry to keep you waiting"

Me "OK"

CS " OK I've just checked the server and there is high utilisation in the local area. That is the reason why the services are capt for the entire area. And that will be for 5 hours, and there is nothing we can do."

Me " So basically if one person is downloading in the area, everybody else in the area is punished for it?"

CS "Basically YES. I'm really sorry about that. However during peak hours, if there is high utilisation, the services are capt. So we can not do much about that"

Me "So to confirm, one persons downloading can cap everybody else's services"

CS "YES"

Me "Well if that is the case, I will be on to disconnections Monday morning to have all services switched off. Thanks, and good bye."

Sounds convincing to me that VM have a new "area" TM policy. Though like I say, I take what CS India say as being a load of bull 95% of the time.

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Next time this happens record your upload speed and we can see if this is STM.

Speeds were 112 upload, and 2.3 download at the time, which I believe is about right for a TM'd account on 10Meg ;)

pip08456
15-05-2010, 09:28
It appears obvious that the Indian CS is confusing TM with over utilisation (pehaps delberately) and trying to fob you off with "your capped because of others" rather than the truth. Oversubscription in your area.

Peter_
15-05-2010, 09:31
Thanks for that Masque.
I did expect this to be wrong info etc to be honest. But after ringing back, getting a different CS staff member (yes both from India I assume), and being told the same policy exists by 2 different people, ya kind of have to wonder if it is true. The first call (a guy) even argued with me about it, and gave reasons for the "area" traffic management policy???????
Second call insisted it was not about exceeding the limit of 1500MB on the account, but about how much traffic there was in the area, and that area then being TM'd LOL.
Just a thought..... Is it possible to be TM'd if you are a victim of a cloned modem? That's the only explanation I can think of, as to why my account triggered the TM system.

If it wasn't unfair (and probably illegal) for me to do so, I'd stick the recording on youtube, and let everybody hear the call.
After asking if my services have been capt, I was asked for account details etc, and this is the conversation after that point.

Sounds convincing to me that VM have a new "area" TM policy. Though like I say, I take what CS India say as being a load of bull 95% of the time.

Speeds were 112 upload, and 2.3 download at the time, which I believe is about right for a TM'd account on 10Meg ;)

We have no New Area Policy at all as that would kill the customer base as many customers would leave, you were lied to for no reason except maybe to get you off the phone.

broadbandking
15-05-2010, 09:38
Although you was lied to about the policy it does seem you was traffic managed, have you asked on the VM forum, they are normally very good and getting to the root of the issue.

photodude
15-05-2010, 10:05
Thanks guys n gals.
Just spoke with disconnections (thought they were Monday to Friday only), had it confirmed what I was told was a load of bull poop, and now have a better package with some extra nice discount that means the upgrade costs me nothing :-)
However, it's still disturbing that CS India are saying this to customers. I could have quite easily just said "Sod this" and disconnected without questioning what I was being told.
Does it really make sense to ship CS to India, where it is clear they can not understand or help customers very well. Sod giving jobs to India (no disrespect), use skilled UK staff who are able to think outside the script in front of them LOL

Peter_
15-05-2010, 10:09
Does it really make sense to ship CS to India, where it is clear they can not understand or help customers very well. Sod giving jobs to India (no disrespect), use skilled UK staff who are able to think outside the script in front of them LOL
We in the UK do not use a script as the faults we actually deal with are impossible to script as all calls are different.;)

martyh
15-05-2010, 10:15
Thanks guys n gals.
Just spoke with disconnections (thought they were Monday to Friday only), had it confirmed what I was told was a load of bull poop, and now have a better package with some extra nice discount that means the upgrade costs me nothing :-)
However, it's still disturbing that CS India are saying this to customers. I could have quite easily just said "Sod this" and disconnected without questioning what I was being told.

maybe you should send a copy of that transcript to VM's head office as further proof that the india call center should be closed

---------- Post added at 10:15 ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 ----------

We in the UK do not use a script as the faults we actually deal with are impossible to script as all calls are different.;)

WOW you mean you in the uk have to use knowledge and a real understanding of how things work :D

Peter_
15-05-2010, 10:28
WOW you mean you in the uk have to use knowledge and a real understanding of how things work :D
Yes as no script could actually ever work.:D

pip08456
15-05-2010, 10:30

Qutie simply it is the cheaper option, disgusting I know but when the accountants get involved everything goes pear shaped.

photodude
15-05-2010, 10:35

And there was me thinking you guys all had lessons in different accents, so you sound like you came from different parts of the UK. And that you read these things from a screen:D:p: LOL
I can safely say I never had any issues with CS until the Indian call centre was activated. 99% of the time, I just hang up if I get through to India. I just can't be bothered listening to people telling me I have to switch PC on of on off on off, unplug this that and what ever else, I have a virus, my network ain't secure, I need to run in safe mode, I need to disable my firewall and so on.
Best one I had was being told I had a virus, after reporting some pratt had chopped through the cable while digging up the street.:p::confused: He may have had a cold when digging the hole, but I don't think it spread to my PC LOL

Kymmy
15-05-2010, 10:37
Wages for Indian call centres (according to Payscale.com) is between 133K to 265K (Indian Rupees)..

Current exchange is 65Rupees per £1 so that means a UK payscale of 2K to 4K a year.. Even if living expenses were a quarter of the UK (which they are not in India as prices are steadily rising) it means that Masque if he went to Idnia would be living on the equivelant of 8K a year for the highest paid job...

bayonet
15-05-2010, 11:02
photodude next time you suspect you are being managed log in to the router page at 192.168.100.1

it will prove TM or if it's a slow speed issue

username and password are root, under the section Operation Config is where you'll find what speed you're on. Mine shows the 20 meg speed if I was being managed that would show the 5meg speed

As someone said Seemples :-)

Kymmy
15-05-2010, 11:10
I don't think the operational config changes within the modem when you;re being managed, 20Mb will still show 20Mb but the gateway/router/UBR will restrict your throughput down to 5Mb, if they did change the modem config then they'd need to reset the modem..

Best way is to do a few speed tests and check your upload speed as this isn't effected as much in areas of high utilization and will be at roughly 192Kb on a restricted 20Mb connection

pip08456
15-05-2010, 11:10
Wages for Indian call centres (according to Payscale.com) is between 133K to 265K (Indian Rupees)..

Current exchange is 65Rupees per £1 so that means a UK payscale of 2K to 4K a year.. Even if living expenses were a quarter of the UK (which they are not in India as prices are steadily rising) it means that Masque if he went to Idnia would be living on the equivelant of 8K a year for the highest paid job...

£8K Think how many curries he would be able to buy with that !:D:D:D:D:D:D

Kymmy
15-05-2010, 11:14
It will show as we can see it when we tech customers

Suprising then that it's never come up before in all the other STM related threads..

Never seen it myself but as I only ever got STM'd once over two years ago that's not suprising.. (now excuse me as I have 8Gb to download from steam) :p:

bayonet
15-05-2010, 11:18
DIagnostics will show the config file has changed however CS don't have that option

photodude would have been better off asking to speak to TSC for them to run the checks

photodude
15-05-2010, 11:20
photodude next time you suspect you are being managed log in to the router page at 192.168.100.1

it will prove TM or if it's a slow speed issue

username and password are root, under the section Operation Config is where you'll find what speed you're on. Mine shows the 20 meg speed if I was being managed that would show the 5meg speed

As someone said Seemples :-)

Nope, my modem was still showing as 10 meg settings last night, despite the 2.3 meg speeds. If I start with speed issues etc, I always check modem first for levels etc (before calling up). Another reason why I was kind of wondering if the area thing was true.
CS confirmed I was TM'd last night, but couldn't explain why. They had to go right back to last year before I came anywhere near the limit. My usage is only between 15-18gig per month (according to their figures), but I'm meant to have used 1.5gig in just over an hour yesterday? Don't think so LOL

Anyway, on 20 meg now, free router, free calls all day, and no extra cost :D
Simples:D

Kymmy
15-05-2010, 11:23
I hope you got that in writing ;)

bayonet
15-05-2010, 11:24
Good lad I love it

Peter_
15-05-2010, 11:25
DIagnostics will show the config file has changed however CS don't have that option

photodude would have been better off asking to speak to TSC for them to run the checks
WE can see the config has changed but the modem will not show as it would require a reboot to run the config file.

photodude
15-05-2010, 11:25
I hope you got that in writing ;)

yep, and signed in blood LOL

pip08456
15-05-2010, 11:50
WE can see the config has changed but the modem will not show as it would require a reboot to run the config file.

Hi Masque! How do you fancy £8k/yr curries????:D:D:D:D

Peter_
15-05-2010, 12:03
Hi Masque! How do you fancy £8k/yr curries????:D:D:D:D
I do not like curry or hot countries, so no good for me.;):D

Sephiroth
15-05-2010, 14:44

Pay peanuts ......

pip08456
15-05-2010, 15:03
Get MONKEYS!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D

---------- Post added at 15:03 ---------- Previous post was at 15:01 ----------

I do not like curry or hot countries, so no good for me.;):D

That's a bummer, looks like you'll have to stay in the UK and have kebabs instead:D:D:p::D

Incey2000
15-05-2010, 15:52
yep, and signed in blood LOL
if Vm have offererd you 20meg at a reduced rate please remember they only last for about 3 months then they charge you full 20meg price....they got me on that 1.

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 19:05
D'oh! :doh:

Certainly sounds like our Indian call centre was getting confused with high utilisation in the OP's area and STM!

broadbandking
15-05-2010, 19:26
If this is a continued theme VM will have to rethink the off shore centres.

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 19:28
If this is a continued theme VM will have to rethink the off shore centres.

You are right there... It's actually quite a serious error the offshore centre is making.. this could cost VM customers! :(

martyh
15-05-2010, 19:30
It's actually quite a serious error the offshore centre is making.. this could cost VM customers! :(

that's why i suggested that the op forward a copy of the recording and the transcript to head office

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 19:31
that's why i suggested that the op forward a copy of the recording and the transcript to head office

Yes... that would be a good idea.

Sirius
15-05-2010, 19:35
Thanks for that Masque.

---------- Post added at 09:23 ---------- Previous post was at 09:20 ----------

Would not surprise me if this is a secret trial in your area which they have admitted to by accident or its just stupid offshore numpties making a mockery of customer support.

You decide which one fits the bill :)

Andrewcrawford23
15-05-2010, 19:44
D'oh! :doh:

Certainly sounds like our Indian call centre was getting confused with high utilisation in the OP's area and STM!
they get confussed with a loit opf things

Peter_
15-05-2010, 19:54
Would not surprise me if this is a secret trial in your area which they have admitted to by accident or its just stupid offshore numpties making a mockery of customer support.
I rather doubt for one nanosecond that offshore would be anywhere near to being kept in the loop about a possible secret trial, my imagination cannot stretch that far.:D:D:D

pip08456
15-05-2010, 20:00
I rather doubt for one nanosecond that offshore would be anywhere near to being kept in the loop about a possible secret trial, my imagination cannot stretch that far.:D:D:D

Ahhhhh but, what if it were the non-curry eating underpaid UK staff who were kept out of the loop and only offshore agents knew about insiduous new policies of the Company???:p::p::p:

Andrewcrawford23
15-05-2010, 20:03
Ahhhhh but, what if it were the non-curry eating underpaid UK staff who were kept out of the loop and only offshore agents knew about insiduous new policies of the Company???:p::p::p:
why do you think us poor uk people always get it wrong about policies cause offshore get all teh secert information first ;)

martyh
15-05-2010, 20:03

WOW ,conspiracy theorist or what :D

Peter_
15-05-2010, 20:04
Well if you can speak to one who does not keep asking you to reboot your modem even when you have already told them that your outside cable has been cut, or one who does not blame your brand new state of the art computer for an outage then maybe, just maybe .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. ......................no I will not believe something like that.:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

speedfreak
15-05-2010, 20:06
All the same these VM support staff, dont trust any of them, the UK ones are by far the worst, particularly the ones who work in Liverpool :p: :D

Peter_
15-05-2010, 20:08
All the same these VM support staff, dont trust any of them, the UK ones are by far the worst, particularly the ones who work in Liverpool :p: :D
No idea about those people at all.;)

Andrewcrawford23
15-05-2010, 20:11
I thoguht they were 2nd worse ;) only cause they have 1 person who makes them 2nd worse instead of 3rd worse wonder who that is :p

speedfreak
15-05-2010, 20:13
I thoguht they were 2nd worse ;) only cause they have 1 person who makes them 2nd worse instead of 3rd worse wonder who that is :p

Indeed they are 2nd, I completely forgot about the support based in Scotland, thanks for reminding me :p: :angel:

pip08456
15-05-2010, 21:24
Come on speedo Scousers aren't that bad surely? (Unless you parked your car round the corner!)

Sirius
15-05-2010, 21:38

:clap: :) :Sprint:

photodude
15-05-2010, 21:52
Well here is one for those who think it may be a trial in the area. 18-19 meg speeds all day long. 8PM and what speeds do I now get? Yes you've guessed it 5-friggin-meg:mad::mad::mad:

This is getting stupid:td: WTF is going on? I am about to call CS, so get ready for an update.:erm:

pip08456
15-05-2010, 21:58
So at the end of the day you will find out that your area is oversubscribed and be told that they can see high utilisation at peak times and if it continues they will pass it on to networks etc etc.

Doesn't help you though does it.

photodude
15-05-2010, 22:15
When they upgraded the speed, the guy checked if it was over subscribed, and he said it wasn't anywhere near??????? Now listening to crappy music waiting for someone to pick up for the second time, seen as other guy took account details, then never spoke for over 5 mins.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/26.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
WOW 20meg????????? WTF?

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 22:25
Come on speedo Scousers aren't that bad surely? (Unless you parked your car round the corner!)

beats having sex with sheep I guess ;) :p: :angel:

photodude
15-05-2010, 22:27
WOW this service is great. Gave account details again, and I've now been on hold for nearly 10 mins, and line has just gone dead AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!?
Will now try again!!!!

speedfreak
15-05-2010, 22:34
WOW this service is great. Gave account details again, and I've now been on hold for nearly 10 mins, and line has just gone dead AGAIN?!?!?!?!?!?
Will now try again!!!!

That happened to me two times in a row always after spending ages explaining the problem. Third time when they answered I asked for their name then asked to speak to a manager to complain about being cut off, no need for a manager sir I'll help was the reply and he did.

LMAO@ digi, nice comeback, didnt realise you were in LP to, its that Masque fella giving you all a bad name :D

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 22:37
That happened to me two times in a row always after spending ages explaining the problem. Third time when they answered I asked for their name then asked to speak to a manager to complain about being cut off, no need for a manager sir I'll help was the reply and he did.

LMAO@ digi, nice comeback, didnt realise you were in LP to, its that Masque fella giving you all a bad name :D

hahahaha :D

we are sharp up north :)

pip08456
15-05-2010, 22:40

I wasn't born here and sheep are scarce The indiginous Welsh have them all tied up (as tourist attractions!)

Digital Fanatic
15-05-2010, 22:42
I wasn't born here and sheep are scarce The indiginous Welsh have them all tied up (as tourist attractions!)

hahahaha :D

broadbandking
15-05-2010, 22:49
When they upgraded the speed, the guy checked if it was over subscribed, and he said it wasn't anywhere near??????? Now listening to crappy music waiting for someone to pick up for the second time, seen as other guy took account details, then never spoke for over 5 mins.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/26.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
WOW 20meg????????? WTF?

No need to call them your area is oversubscribed, not STM as the upload is near what it should be not 192k which is the shaped speed.

photodude
15-05-2010, 22:59
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Guess what, CS say my account is capt, along with everybody in the local area. They say they are caping download speed, but not upload speed, and I shall have my normal speed back in 5 hours. She claims the "server speed" is being capt for the area, not just any one account.

Exact same policy I was told was in place before, and that download speeds are being cut by 75% for everybody in the area.

So who do I now believe, because it seems what they are saying, is true, as the max I can get is now 5meg.

Peter_
15-05-2010, 23:03
WOW 20meg????????? WTF?
Upload normal for 20Mb so the lack of Downstream can only be over-utilisation in your area commonly known as over subscribed,

If traffic managed your Upload would drop to 192kb, it would not stay at its 20Mb level as per your speed test.

Again from 1600 you will either speak to Scotland if very lucky but more likely Offshore, no English staff will be available until 0800 on Monday.

photodude
15-05-2010, 23:17
Yeah, I think I now realise it's just overloaded, and a crap service. But why lie about it all? I've got 3 separate CS staff in India telling me the whole area is capt on download speeds, UK CS saying it ain't anywhere near over subscribed, UK CS saying India CS are talking rubbish, India CS telling me they can see on their screen that I have been capt (she just confirmed my account is showing as being capt again), and god knows what else.
Does anybody at VM actually know what they are doing, and know exactly what the truth is?
If I ran the school networks and sites I manage in this way, I'd be out of a job:td:
Do you not find it odd that my download speed has a max of 75% of the full speed. The exact same figure used in traffic management? yeah I know upload speed is right, but that is of no use to me what so ever.
Dunno about free upgrade, I think I need 100meg package, so I can get the 20meg I should be getting:erm:

Peter_
15-05-2010, 23:27
Yeah, I think I now realise it's just overloaded, and a crap service. But why lie about it all? I've got 3 separate CS staff in India telling me the whole area is capt on download speeds, UK CS saying it ain't anywhere near over subscribed, UK CS saying India CS are talking rubbish, India CS telling me they can see on their screen that I have been capt (she just confirmed my account is showing as being capt again), and god knows what else.
Does anybody at VM actually know what they are doing, and know exactly what the truth is?
If I ran the school networks and sites I manage in this way, I'd be out of a job:td:
Do you not find it odd that my download speed has a max of 75% of the full speed. The exact same figure used in traffic management? yeah I know upload speed is right, but that is of no use to me what so ever.
Dunno about free upgrade, I think I need 100meg package, so I can get the 20meg I should be getting:erm:
If you were shown as capped it would show both the Downstream and the Upstream as being capped it cannot be one or the other, therefore it must be over utilisation on the Downstream.

I would say call Monday just after 0800 and you should get one of us who can see the issue.

Andrewcrawford23
15-05-2010, 23:48
Last time i check that only aberdeen not got virign media there yet ;)

photodude
16-05-2010, 16:04
Well I'm nearly getting 10 meg on a 20meg service now LOL.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
I now have a tech coming out tomorrow, though I can't see that doing anything, other than him passing it on to network:erm: They once again confirmed the area is nowhere near over subscribed:confused:
At this rate I'll need the 50meg service to get 20meg LOL

Kymmy
16-05-2010, 17:16
Well I'm nearly getting 10 meg on a 20meg service now LOL.
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/25.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
I now have a tech coming out tomorrow, though I can't see that doing anything, other than him passing it on to network:erm: They once again confirmed the area is nowhere near over subscribed:confused:
At this rate I'll need the 50meg service to get 20meg LOL

LOL, getting better than that on my 10Mb service ;)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/24.png

Chrysalis
16-05-2010, 17:51
VM's offshore call centres already have a terrible rep, I have read in various places of the lies they come out with. So if VM's exec's were bothered they would have already ditched india, clearly they feel the bad customer service is a worthwhile price to pay for the small savings. Lets face it outsourcing to india wont be saving them much money in the grand scheme of things, but a saving is a saving.

Sephiroth
16-05-2010, 21:16
My wife says someone's got shares in the offshore support company.

dgcarter
16-05-2010, 21:37
My wife says someone's got shares in the offshore support company.

Your wife is obviously a very astute and intelligent woman.

photodude
16-05-2010, 21:59
LOL, getting better than that on my 10Mb service ;)

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/24.png

Tell me about it. Last month I was getting better on 10Mb than I am now on 20Mb:mad:

photodude
17-05-2010, 15:52
Well engineer has been and gone. Area is over subscribed (confirmed to him on phone), looks like nothing is going to be done about it, unless "I" encourage others in the area to phone up and complain about speeds. So I rang disconnections told them to remove any "Free" upgrade, that now turns out to not be "free" (another lie).
So I'm lied to about local area capping, lied to about area not being over-subscribed, and lied to about upgrade improving things.

So does anybody have the direct Email address of someone with some kind of influence in VM. If so, please PM me the addy. Think I do need to do as suggested and pass on the recordings of my conversations with CS.
Seriously now looking at going with Sky + BT, because I can not do with being deliberately lied to by someone providing me (or not in this case) with a service.

Wonder if watchdog are doing anything on broadband providers and their services. Might have to drop them a copy of everything too LOL

Peter_
17-05-2010, 18:30
We said it was oversubscription not traffic management, the speeds gave it away.

I am still rather puzzled as to where Offshore got the story of you being traffic managed because your neighbour has downloaded to much.:erm:

dgcarter
17-05-2010, 18:36
We said it was oversubscription not traffic management, the speeds gave it away.

I am still rather puzzled as to where Offshore got the story of you being traffic managed because your neighbour has downloaded to much.:erm:

I think it's the VM 'Tell them anything to get them off the phone' policy.

Seriously, as a Vm employee, why is it VM constantly lie to their customers, about everything?

martyh
17-05-2010, 18:40

Seriously, as a Vm employee, why is it VM constantly lie to their customers, about everything?

is it lieing though ,or is just realy bad training ,Are they deliberately lieing to get customers of the phone ,or are they really thick as two short planks

Peter_
17-05-2010, 18:40

It is not something I do as it is not in my makeup, otherwise I would not be posting forums such as these.

I will not just tell you anything to get you off the phone as you may get a different story next time and I do not like repeated calls coming in to the centre.

Digital Fanatic
17-05-2010, 19:21
Well engineer has been and gone. Area is over subscribed (confirmed to him on phone), looks like nothing is going to be done about it, unless "I" encourage others in the area to phone up and complain about speeds. So I rang disconnections told them to remove any "Free" upgrade, that now turns out to not be "free" (another lie).
So I'm lied to about local area capping, lied to about area not being over-subscribed, and lied to about upgrade improving things.

So does anybody have the direct Email address of someone with some kind of influence in VM. If so, please PM me the addy. Think I do need to do as suggested and pass on the recordings of my conversations with CS.
Seriously now looking at going with Sky + BT, because I can not do with being deliberately lied to by someone providing me (or not in this case) with a service.

Wonder if watchdog are doing anything on broadband providers and their services. Might have to drop them a copy of everything too LOL

We don't just say an area is over utilised and that's that, we raise a ticket and plans are put in place to resolve the issue with upgrades... do you have a ticket for this? If not, then call-back and get a Remedy reference... We (VM Staff) can then help you out and advise whats happening to resolve the problem.

Thanks

photodude
17-05-2010, 21:36
Well I'm on the phone again (listening to music), and will ask about remedy ref when someone answers lol

WOW, ultra fast fiber optic broadband
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/21.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
Download Failed (1) (http://www.pingtest.net)

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

well this is nearly 1 hour on the phone now being told everything from I've got a virus, to someone has hacked my wireless (that isn't even switched on).
The guy just wasn't listening to a word I said, and eventually said it was high utilisation again. He gave me a 100% guarantee it will be up and running perfectly within 24 hours.
So I asked the guy this question:
"Is it possible for Richard Branson to come to my house in person at peak times, and check my broadband is OK"
His answer was..............

"Yes, that is perfectly possible. We will need to arrange that for you, let me..............."
At this point I just could not stop myself laughing, and had to hang up the phone.

So I guess I better draw a big H on the lawn, ready for Mr Branson's helicopter LMFAO

Digital Fanatic
18-05-2010, 00:56
Well I'm on the phone again (listening to music), and will ask about remedy ref when someone answers lol

WOW, ultra fast fiber optic broadband
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/21.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
http://www.pingtest.net/result/17079732.png (http://www.pingtest.net)

---------- Post added at 21:36 ---------- Previous post was at 20:38 ----------

well this is nearly 1 hour on the phone now being told everything from I've got a virus, to someone has hacked my wireless (that isn't even switched on).
The guy just wasn't listening to a word I said, and eventually said it was high utilisation again. He gave me a 100% guarantee it will be up and running perfectly within 24 hours.
So I asked the guy this question:
"Is it possible for Richard Branson to come to my house in person at peak times, and check my broadband is OK"

"Yes, that is perfectly possible. We will need to arrange that for you, let me..............."
At this point I just could not stop myself laughing, and had to hang up the phone.

So I guess I better draw a big H on the lawn, ready for Mr Branson's helicopter LMFAO

Did you get a Remedy reference?

photodude
18-05-2010, 07:33
Nope, the guy had no idea what I was talking about. Asked for a remedy ref several times, and all I got in reply was "OK, let me look at that for you" and then he would go on about trying something else he thought would fix it:confused: All he wanted to do, was get his supervisor to cal me back in 3 hours (1:00AM ), so he could talk about my issues?? Like I've got nothing better to do at 1AM lol. But at least Richard Branson will be coming to make sure everything is OK, once fixed LOL.

I'm back on 10meg now, and look what I get this morning
https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/20.png (http://www.speedtest.net)
http://www.pingtest.net/result/17109356.png (http://www.pingtest.net)
By 6PM I expect that to be somewhere near 1meg if I'm lucky lol. To be honest, I think it really is pointless calling at peak times, as the questions I ask, and issues I point out, are not on the Indian script. If I want to waste an hour rebooting, safe mode, clearing temp files, ping test, nestat, counting open ports, switching antivirus and firewall on and off etc, they are great. If you want to get issues resolved, forget it!!!

Peter_
18-05-2010, 09:47
Youneed to ring well before 8pm to try and get a UK agent, morning from 0800 is best if you ring as late as this post you will very likely only get an offshore agent.:erm:

Virginmedia only lease the name from Virgin and Richard Branson has nothing to do with the day to day running of the company, so rather unlikely that he could help.:D:D:D