PDA

View Full Version : Can't connect to modem

mam
09-05-2010, 16:30
Hi,

Just been asked by a friend to see why a laptop will not connect to the virgin modem (scientific-Atlanta)...no router in use

The desktop will connect when connected via ethernet ,but when a laptop and netbook are connected,the laptop will not connect,and the netbook connects once in every 10 attempts or so.The same CAT5 lead is used.

I have tried the laptop and netbook on my modem/router,each connect first time either by wifi or etherent cable..

I have reset the modem,and connected each device in the recommended way,and still the same happens.

Any ideas please.

Thanks

General Maximus
09-05-2010, 22:30
it sounds like a super old modem you might find that if you are using a direct connection without a router, the modem will only accept so many mac address changes within 24 hours. Although I have never had the problem I am sure I have read it somewhere. Why dont you just hook a router up to it and run everything off the router

mam
10-05-2010, 13:06
Hi,And thanks for the reply.I was thinking it was to do with MAC addresses,but how and why would they restrict the access to say one MAC in 24 hours,makes no sense to me.....Can Virgin do anything their end to address this problem?

They are waiting for a free router from Virgin,when it arrives I will install and hopefully this issue will be resolved.

Thanks General Maximus

General Maximus
10-05-2010, 17:32
I don't think VM can do anything, it will be the firmware in the modem that is the problem. You should have asked them for a new modem while you was getting the router, afaik they are dishing them out for free, and the new modems don't suffer from this problem and you can potentially switch between routers, pcs, laptops etc etc as much as you want, I have done it in the past with mine with no probs when i was trying to diagnose a fault. Now you are getting your router though you'll be fine because it will stay connected to the modem and everything else will run through the router.

Peter_
10-05-2010, 19:25
If you connect more than 5 separate devices in a 24 hour period you will fill the host table on the uBR and the 5th item will not connect, which is one of the reasons you should use a router if switching between devices.

The modem will have no effect on this issue.

What model is the your modem.

mam
10-05-2010, 19:52
Thanks again General Maximus ,will pass your comments on,cheers

Hi its a scientific-Atlanta,but it the modal with the USB and etherent port,cheers

Peter_
10-05-2010, 19:56
Hi its a scientific-Atlanta,but it the modal with the USB and etherent port,cheers
Can you post the model number please.

mam
11-05-2010, 11:54
I will have to contact my friend to obtain the info,thanks

mam
12-05-2010, 15:07
still waiting for the modem details..

mam
14-05-2010, 19:54
Hi,sorry for the late reply.Finally got an answer to what the modem number was,but the reply was to say that Virgin had replaced the old modem.

So problem solved.

Thank you all for helping,it was appreciated.