PDA

View Full Version : Freeview aerial

xenium23
07-05-2010, 02:43
Hey guys, i've noticed there has been a few posts already on this, i've browsed few a couple of them but mines a little different.

I got a tv today for my room with the built-in freeview but noticed I didn't have any aerial cable, we have freeview downstairs so theres a cable coming from the aerial on the roof to downstairs.

I got a guy coming out on saturday to take a look at it and hopefully do the job there whatever needs to be done, would a splitter from the roof aerial work fine? and just have the cable feeding through to my room or would you suggest something else? also if he does just the splitter and feeds the cable through how much would he be looking to charge for that? he said hes going to have a look first then give a price and if its too expensive then he'll go.

Thanks!

Chris
07-05-2010, 04:34
It depends how good your signal is. A simple splitter may do it, on the other hand you may need a signal booster. What does your roof aerial look like? Do you know how far away you are from your transmitter? Which transmitter is it?

Kymmy
07-05-2010, 08:31
I had the same scenario a few years back, so just bought a 4 way masthead amp 2nd hand off eBay (£10) and now have feeds in the living room, the workshop and a couple of the bedrooms :)

As Chris says a splitter might not do especially as you're weakening the signal for every division

nodrogd
07-05-2010, 16:04
A decent aerial installer would check your signal levels prior to splitting a cable run. If the new length of cable is short you may get away without having to install an amplifier or otherwise enhancing the signal.