PDA

View Full Version : 50MB and streaming - any good?

redbluetwo
06-05-2010, 09:47
My package deal ends tomorrow so looking at Options and what I'd like to know is the 50mb service much better than 20mb (currently have) for live streaming on sites like iplayer / sky player etc where i get the occasional buffering. Is there a self install option as have an N+ router already and with 100mb due to feature what are your thoughts on keeping my current package as I'm sure prices will drop over the next year?

Current package XL BB XLTV and XL phone £52 per month.

Anyone have the above package with mobile added and what sort of price are you paying?

Peter_
06-05-2010, 09:52
No self install option is available for 50Mb, it will cost you £55 to get it.

If your 20Mb is fine then the should be no issue with upgrading to 50Mb and you should get a better stream.

Ignitionnet
06-05-2010, 10:04
If your 20Mb is fine then the should be no issue with upgrading to 50Mb and you should get a better stream.

Ello :)

Would be good to know what the issue is with the 20Mbps. I experience streaming stutters on 50Mbps, hasn't made any real difference even though the service itself is fine for most things - seems to be VM's core network and transit sucking in the case of iPlayer and You Tube being silly at times which won't get fixed by a tier change.

My reply to the chap is that it probably won't make any difference and would be good to know if the 20Mbps works properly apart from stream stutters here and there.

My streaming issues were actually fixed on iPlayer by using O2 instead, even though it only runs at about 14Mbps real downstream throughput it seems to run on a more robust network in terms of peering and core network and I see noticeably less issues on You Tube.

redbluetwo
06-05-2010, 10:13
Thanks Ignit....

20mb pretty reliable may buffer 2/3 times every hour when live streaming and if you experience streaming stutters on 50mb then you probably answered my question. Watched Spurs v City last night and lot of buffering but more an issue with the feed than my equipment i'm guessing.

Ignitionnet
06-05-2010, 11:03
Thanks Ignit....

20mb pretty reliable may buffer 2/3 times every hour when live streaming and if you experience streaming stutters on 50mb then you probably answered my question. Watched Spurs v City last night and lot of buffering but more an issue with the feed than my equipment i'm guessing.

Yep pretty much. I think it's a Virgin-wide issue and regardless of what level of service you're on you'll get blips, just more of them if the feed isn't very good.

broadbandking
07-05-2010, 19:20
I can honestly say I have never had a issue with streaming video on 50Mb connection, so it must be area issues rather than a whole VM core network issue.

General Maximus
08-05-2010, 23:14
I had 20mbit right from when it first came out and until i upgraded to 50mbit. Tbh i don't think you'll notice any difference streaming between the two tiers at all, 20mbit is more than fast enough and you can only watch videos at one speed :) The biggest difference you'll notice is in bulk file downloads (significantly faster speed) and the fact your ass doesn't get stm'd as soon as you blow your nose.