PDA

View Full Version : 50mb Install Query

MHA
04-05-2010, 18:57
Just a couple of queries regarding the install of 50mb...

Do you still need to go through the activation pages during the install; then put the mac address of the pc used for registration in your router?

What is the engineer supposed to do during the install?...Install Modem, Activate the Modem, Check the Net connection from a PC...and then leave you to setup the router yourself?

pip08456
04-05-2010, 19:01
No there is no need for you to do anything, the engineer should make sure everything is up and running before he leaves.

I can only go with what happened on my install as to what he should do.

Test the connection first (uses his own kit)

Connect modem and activate over his phone.

Test speed (with speedtest.net!)

Ask if you need him to set up router.

That's it.

on in an hour!
04-05-2010, 19:45
yep,pretty much as above,but there is a national shortage of the wireless N routers they supply to 50meg customers.tech should add your address to a database for posting when they arrive in the country if he has none on board ;)

pip08456
04-05-2010, 19:47
yep,pretty much as above,but there is a national shortage of the wireless N routers they supply to 50meg customers.tech should add your address to a database for posting when they arrive in the country if he has none on board ;)

Since when? I got one on install and then one via UPS a week later!

I should also add they are supplying the router to new customers on lower tiers as well.

MovedGoalPosts
04-05-2010, 19:50

Which probably explains the shortage is some customers are getting two ;)

pip08456
04-05-2010, 19:56
Could be but if they're giving them to lower tiers as well..................

MHA
04-05-2010, 20:12
Do you still have to clone your mac address from your PC on your router?

pip08456
04-05-2010, 20:25
Shouldn't need to

grim reaper
04-05-2010, 20:26

shouldn't think so ... its not been neccessary to clone mac address for a few years now regardless of which tier you are on ... at least thats how it is in Leeds ... i was originally on 4 meg some years back and cloning mac address was needed then .... but when i upgraded to 10 meg i did the clone mac and had problems ... after deleting the cloned address it worked fine ... i'm now on 20meg and still haven't had to clone the mac in my router (its my own router (Lynksys wrt54g) and not one supplied by VM)

Peter_
04-05-2010, 20:56
No we no longer require that and only EX-NTL customers ever had to do that not EX-Telewest, so Virginmedia adopted the hassle free EX-Telewest setup.;)

MHA
04-05-2010, 21:08
thanks for the confirmation

Peter_
04-05-2010, 21:17
thanks for the confirmation
If you decide to buy a new machine it is basically plug and play as long as you reboot the modem.;)

MHA
04-05-2010, 21:48
As an existing customer upgrading to 50mb..do I get the wireless USB dongle as well?..not sure if that is only an extra for new customers.

pip08456
04-05-2010, 22:22
Not sure, I did as I kicked up a fuss as the install was a no show when due.

Peter_
05-05-2010, 12:08
As an existing customer upgrading to 50mb..do I get the wireless USB dongle as well?..not sure if that is only an extra for new customers.
You get the router and USB adaptor as part of a 50Mb package.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/product.do?id=15208

3Wireless router for XXL: Wireless router and adaptor are included your package. Equipment remains the property of Virgin Media.

on in an hour!
05-05-2010, 19:21

I should also add they are supplying the router to new customers on lower tiers as well.

they were growing short of them (as people have said above) because they were 'futureproofing' 10/20meg installs by supplying the wireless N instead of G routers,then to compound that the ban on air traffic was enforced and they couldnt get any in.;)