PDA

View Full Version : Question about coaxial cable connector

jammymummy
03-05-2010, 19:54
Hi, we're trying to move our coaxial box to another part of the room, and rather than buying more cable and running it over the door jamb(in the hall and in the lounge), we're trying to take the cable back through the wall and drill a new hole in the other side of a door. However, the connector doesn't seem to want to come off the cable and will therefore not fit through the hole, so we've been trying to make the hole bigger, but doesn't seem to be working.
Can we remove the current coaxial connector so that it will easily fit through the hole and then replace it with the same one? Or do we have to buy a new one from somewhere, and if so where??
Thanks!
:confused:

PeteLockwood
03-05-2010, 20:04
it SHOULD be removable

Peter_
03-05-2010, 20:27
it SHOULD be removable
No it should not be removable if it has been fitted with a proper crimping tool.

pip08456
03-05-2010, 20:29
The connectors fitted by VM are crimped on and are NOT removable. You could buy a couple of screw on ones and cut the existing one off.

Beat me to it Masque.

Sephiroth
04-05-2010, 09:34
I thought that the coax connectors were screw in. What have I misunderstood? Are there CM's where that isn't the case?

pip08456
04-05-2010, 09:41
We are on about how the fitting attaches to the cable Seph.

Sephiroth
04-05-2010, 10:07
Yeah - but drilling a hole to fit the not much larger screw in thing isn't rocket science. That's why I was puzzled!

Kymmy
04-05-2010, 10:12
Yes but how can you drill a hole that already has a cable through it, the OP wants to pull the cable back through the hole but the hole is too small for the crimped on F-plug ;)

:doh:

Peter_
04-05-2010, 10:28
I thought that the coax connectors were screw in. What have I misunderstood? Are there CM's where that isn't the case?
Crimp type F plug not to dissimilar to this one, which have to be cut off.

You can buy screw on from Maplins or Ebay.

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/178.jpg

dave6x
04-05-2010, 10:43

Just to add to this discussion, my install (in an ex-NTL area) was done using screw-on F-type connectors and not the crimp-on style which you suggest is universal, same is true of the install at my son's property in the same area.

pip08456
04-05-2010, 11:27

https://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/local/2010/05/178.jpg

Many £1 shops now carry them at half the price.

Peter_
04-05-2010, 11:38
Just to add to this discussion, my install (in an ex-NTL area) was done using screw-on F-type connectors and not the crimp-on style which you suggest is universal, same is true of the install at my son's property in the same area.
Most engineers crimp and have to buy a rather expensive crimper in order to fit the connector.

No idea why yours has been done differently, maybe an installs guy can answer.

taylorig
04-05-2010, 15:01
Well when i used to work for Telewest they were known as "Snap & Seal" for both RG6 and RG11. It's always better to use these type's of connector's due to silly callbacks from customer's that rip the ends off all of the time...

I even have a load of the connector's in my shed with both crimping tools, striping tools etc ;)

Anyone need any ends fitting on the cheap? :D lol