PDA

View Full Version : Download info needed on 10mb service!!

Console_Crazy
02-05-2010, 10:14
Hi guys,
Me and my partner have the 10mb broadband package with virgin! I've heard there is a limit of how much you can download between 4pm and 9pm?Is this correct and if so what is the gb limit? Another question is there a limit outside of these hours?can i download as much as i want as long as its not between 4-9pm, as I tend to download a lot of demos for the xbox and ps3 etc.

Thanks in advance :)

mikegreen
02-05-2010, 10:23
Here we go.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Ken W
02-05-2010, 10:24
Hi guys,
Me and my partner have the 10mb broadband package with virgin! I've heard there is a limit of how much you can download between 4pm and 9pm?Is this correct and if so what is the gb limit? Another question is there a limit outside of these hours?can i download as much as i want as long as its not between 4-9pm, as I tend to download a lot of demos for the xbox and ps3 etc.

Thanks in advance :)

Take a look here.
http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/internet/traffic.html

Console_Crazy
02-05-2010, 10:32
Thanks guys! So its not unlimited downloads then lol! Demos i download are mostly 1gb files! So im limited to two a day!!! So from 9pm to 9am i can download as much as i want too?

gandalf999
02-05-2010, 11:14
Thanks guys! So its not unlimited downloads then lol! Demos i download are mostly 1gb files! So im limited to two a day!!! So from 9pm to 9am i can download as much as i want too?

You are looking at the wrong one. You should be looking at the 10MB one, either the upgraded or normal 10MB which caps you between 10:00 - 15:00 ( 15:00 to 16:00 normal ) and then caps at 16:00 to 21:00 )
So if you are on the normal 10MB you can DL 3GB in the morning and 1.5GB in the evening.
Outside these hours you can DL as much as you like.........unless you fall foul of the mythical Fair Usage Policy.
Just try to nail down any ISP as to what is actual Fair Usage.

I have been capped a few times on my 10MB connection and it is no fun. Even though the capped speed of 2.5MB should be plenty fast enough for browsing, it seems to screw up completely and it is like going back to dial up :bigcry:

Console_Crazy
02-05-2010, 12:29
cheers gandalf ;) got it now :) problem is my bedtime is about 10pm and im too lazy to get up before 9am to do downloads :) at least now i know whats what! Thanks for the quick replies.

gandalf999
02-05-2010, 12:49
cheers gandalf ;) got it now :) problem is my bedtime is about 10pm and im too lazy to get up before 9am to do downloads :) at least now i know whats what! Thanks for the quick replies.
Start your downloads after 21:00, just before you go to bed, the Xbox can do the downloads in standby.

Console_Crazy
02-05-2010, 14:47
good point :)

mjpartyboy
02-05-2010, 19:02
I have been capped a few times on my 10MB connection and it is no fun. Even though the capped speed of 2.5MB should be plenty fast enough for browsing, it seems to screw up completely and it is like going back to dial up

We're lucky if we can get your capped speed on our L package when we're not being capped. :td:

AbyssUnderground
03-05-2010, 10:15
People seem to be missing the fact you can still download as much as you like after being capped, albeit at 25% of the speed, so 2.5Mbps. You can download 60GB/day if you max out your connection during both STM slots and when not STM'ed. I did it for 3 weeks solid backing up my dedicated server. Don't be worried about hitting STM, all it does is 1/4 your speed. The connection is still perfectly usable for average users.

gandalf999
03-05-2010, 11:28
The connection is still perfectly usable for average users.
As I pointed out earlier, mine certainly isn't OK. It slows to a crawl and web pages take ages to load. Just like my old dial up connection.
But to be fair other people may not have this problem.