PDA

View Full Version : Long shared driveway - Will VM consider installation?

rajnag
30-04-2010, 12:13
Hi everyone, first time poster here! :D

I was hoping someone could give me some thoughts about how VM would respond to my situation:

I live in the country some distance from my BT exchange so my connection tops out at 0.9Mb. I'm keen to get VM and the green cabinets are present on my road.

The postcode checker indicates we're ok for fibre optic but there's a potential problem in that out house isn't on the roadside, it's set aside from the road by a shared driveway. The distance from the roadside to the start of our property is 75m. That's the start of our garden, the garden is then another 125m before it reaches the house proper.

I managed to get chatting to a VM engineer on the phone who agreed to come and look at our property to see if we could get it installed, but when I mentioned we were set away from the roadside he said there's no point in him coming as the installation would require 'additional construction'.

However, I've read on other forums that if there's a shared driveway belonging to say 3 people, they won't agree to dig it up to bring cable up from the road unless they get permission from all 3 residents. But they will dig it up, if needed.
In my case permission isn't a problem, I can easily get permission from the other residents who are also keen to do away with flaky ADSL.

What I'd really like to know is:

1. In general do VM media have a problem doing additional digging to bring cable to your home?

2. Is the distance involved in bringing the cable going to be an issue in my case?

3. Do I have a leg to stand on in arguing that they should install the cable or is this a lost cause? :confused:

Thanks!

Graham M
30-04-2010, 12:20
If all 3 are keen to sign up to VM you might possibly have a case, but if it's only one of you then the work required might not be that economically viable for them, hopefully someone will be along to help you further :)

:welcome:

Digital Fanatic
30-04-2010, 13:02
Hi everyone, first time poster here! :D

I was hoping someone could give me some thoughts about how VM would respond to my situation:

I live in the country some distance from my BT exchange so my connection tops out at 0.9Mb. I'm keen to get VM and the green cabinets are present on my road.

The postcode checker indicates we're ok for fibre optic but there's a potential problem in that out house isn't on the roadside, it's set aside from the road by a shared driveway. The distance from the roadside to the start of our property is 75m. That's the start of our garden, the garden is then another 125m before it reaches the house proper.

I managed to get chatting to a VM engineer on the phone who agreed to come and look at our property to see if we could get it installed, but when I mentioned we were set away from the roadside he said there's no point in him coming as the installation would require 'additional construction'.

However, I've read on other forums that if there's a shared driveway belonging to say 3 people, they won't agree to dig it up to bring cable up from the road unless they get permission from all 3 residents. But they will dig it up, if needed.
In my case permission isn't a problem, I can easily get permission from the other residents who are also keen to do away with flaky ADSL.

What I'd really like to know is:

1. In general do VM media have a problem doing additional digging to bring cable to your home?

2. Is the distance involved in bringing the cable going to be an issue in my case?

3. Do I have a leg to stand on in arguing that they should install the cable or is this a lost cause? :confused:

Thanks!

Hi and :welcome:

Sounds like theres a lot of digging involved to get you online... Are you going to get all 3 services from VM or just broadband?

I think your best bet is to fill out the Spotter Form on our website and you should get a call in a few days to advise if it's viable.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/websales/register/spotters-form.do

HTh :)

jungleguy
02-05-2010, 09:55
The big issue will be how far you are from the street cabinet. if its over 250m your out of spec, and can't have services. I very much doubt they'll bury the cable in your case, they'd be there all day, chances are they'd put it in conduit and leave it in the surface.

Dai
02-05-2010, 10:34
The big issue will be how far you are from the street cabinet. if its over 250m your out of spec, and can't have services. I very much doubt they'll bury the cable in your case, they'd be there all day, chances are they'd put it in conduit and leave it in the surface.

You could offer to do what I did. The installers left me green conduit which I buried myself under the paved yard with a pull-through string in place. They were well happy to have the work done in advance.